A Smart Watch changed my life!

Thread: A Smart Watch changed my life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up A Smart Watch changed my life!

Well, marginally. The novelty of different watch faces wore off pretty quickly - so did it bring on transports of unalloyed joy and delight that totally transformed my life? Not exactly if I am totally honest but I did experience a small but significant added level of convenience, sufficient in my view to possibly allow a steady growing market in smart watches (with important caveats).

Yes, I have come to the inescapable conclusion after several months of wearing a smart watch that it is definitely more convenient to get notifications on my watch and not have to get out my phone every time - and that's pretty much it. Some other apps I've found quite useful e.g. sleep tracking (have sleep apnea), vibrating alarm - so much nicer than an alarm clock, and the step counter is quite fun. Trouble is, for your average punter I would say the value of that added convenience is not more than $100 max. Value goes down when you factor in the inconvenience of having to charge it every day, and the inconvenience of not being able to see the time, all the time, like you know, a watch. Never understood why the smart watch manufacturers couldn't get that - clue is in the name. Add to that, designs that would make the eyes water of the tackiest designers at Diesel (LG Urbane anyone?), value drops down to maybe around $50.

However I am sure that at some point there will be UI breakthrough which may turn the whole market around. Doubtless wristwatches were considered a fad once and not a patch on ornate pocket watches that adorned your fancy waistcoat - and whatever happened to the waistcoat?

I feel we have been here before. Around the beginning of this century when mobile phones were evolving from bricks to a device you could slip into your shirt pocket, I was rather taken by a slightly bulkier phone which could send and receive emails, surf the web in its infancy, etc. I thought it was great but people thought I was mad, after all your sexy little laptop did all that stuff - clearly the PDA phone concept was going nowhere. And it remained very niche for years - had to use a stylus until Mr Jobs came along about 5 years later with his slidy finger thing - the rest is history as they say.

Pebble, I think were on the right track with decent battery life, always on display and good price for their more basic models. Sad that Pebble over reached themselves as I think they were on to something if they hadn't cocked up their marketing and investment strategy. 'Course I've got a Pebble Time and when I look around for an alternative it's meh, the search goes on. At least the Pebble Time is unashamedly geek chic with a slight retro vibe. Am quite taken by the Sony Smart Watch 3 - old tech but also doesn't try to be anything other than what it is, good price now and transflective always on screen, about 2 days battery life apparently. Might give that a try and see what Android Wear has to offer even if it isn't the latest version.

And another thing - when I got the Pebble Time I wore it on my right wrist. My proper mechanical watches, Seiko, Junghans etc of course reserved for pride of place on my left wrist. Quickly got bored with that and now just wear one watch - the Pebble Time.......... Well, it's just more convenient obviously.

Cheers

Jez

Re: A Smart Watch changed my life!

I still find my Pebble Time Steel to be the better all-around smartwatch. They were really on to something.

Rob

Looking down at my 3yo pebble steel, which is still doing a solid 4 days between charges, I still feel almost angry with Pebble management. The marketing was terrible and the products needed to be rebranded. What kind of brand name for a watch is pebble? Sure, name the company pebble, but once you're up and running rebrand please. And however financially tempting it was to stick with kickstarter, they condemned themselves by refusing to grow up with their product launches. Most people will never buy a watch launched on kickstarter.

The reason why I'm angry is I cannot fault the product. The most surprising thing is the durability. This thing has fallen two storeys onto a hardwood floor and all it did was shake some of the gunk out of the bracelet. It's been hit with a cricket ball and been bumped and scraped in strange ways and the gorilla glass screen is flawless, even if the steel is a bit scratched. I've broken the bracelet twice and actually hammered it back into shape.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pebble time is the best square smartwatch, much cheaper than Iwatch and also much more durable. But yes there is a little drawback, it can't support custom watch face, as a watch face lover, that is a big limitation. I love watch face design so I bought one for watch face design and testing.

You've captured my thoughts (and feelings) about Pebble, as well.

Pebble and the shenanigans with the Chronos Smart Disc have driven me away from Kickstarter altogether, at least when it comes to timekeeping/wearable products.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by yokied View Post
    Looking down at my 3yo pebble steel, which is still doing a solid 4 days between charges, I still feel almost angry with Pebble management. The marketing was terrible and the products needed to be rebranded. What kind of brand name for a watch is pebble? Sure, name the company pebble, but once you're up and running rebrand please. And however financially tempting it was to stick with kickstarter, they condemned themselves by refusing to grow up with their product launches. Most people will never buy a watch launched on kickstarter.

The reason why I'm angry is I cannot fault the product. The most surprising thing is the durability. This thing has fallen two storeys onto a hardwood floor and all it did was shake some of the gunk out of the bracelet. It's been hit with a cricket ball and been bumped and scraped in strange ways and the gorilla glass screen is flawless, even if the steel is a bit scratched. I've broken the bracelet twice and actually hammered it back into shape.

The reason why smart watches are in the Doldrums is quite simple. The technology is just not up to the job.

The usefulness of having notifications to your wrist I think is pretty much uncontested. Most people also usually find a couple of apps quite useful. But who but the most dedicated geek wants the faf of charging the thing everyday, lack of always on display as good or better than your average $10 Casio or analogue, and ridiculously overpriced.

Pebble came close with good battery life and always on display at a reasonable price. But it's UI was a bit clunky and just never as slick or sexy as something like the Gear S2 or, dare I say, the AW.

Sort out the battery life and a permanent display all at an affordable price and the things would fly off the shelves. Otherwise they are destined to remain very much a niche product.

Cheers

Jez

Square watch? Apple watch comes to my mind n then Pebble Time. But Pebble Time is much cheaper and durable, but one bad thing is that it doesn't support custom watch faces.I mean like other watches,colorful, creative. Because I'm a watch face lover, I love creating them and sharing with others. That's why I bought two watches for watch face design and testing. lol although they are not as useful as Android Wear.

I'm very interested to get more (and hopefully as much as smartwatch) features in slimmer fitness tracker bracelets that I can wear on my other wrist, so far the Fitbit Alta does the job esp. the new one with active heart rate monitoring

WnS

The price of convenient nowadays. A few hundred dollars for a smart watch to avoid taking one's smartphone out of the pocket. I thought the smartphone was already a convenient alternative to postal mail and fixed line telephones.

I suppose there is value when you can read your texts while driving without being caught by police.
    Last edited by WnS; March 16th, 2017 at 05:55.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Like most things there's the pro's and con's.

Con's:
    Constant charging
    Price
    Software bugs/issues
    The hardware becomes out dates so quickly compared to non-smartwatches (the Pebble 'was' the exception). Some Samsung Gear S3 users are already waiting for the Gear S4
    No long term software support.

Pro's
    Convenience
    A watch with 3G/LTE would be very useful, if the battery lasted longer.
    descreetness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information