Smart Watch Recommendation
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Smart Watch Recommendation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smart Watch Recommendation

Hey guys,

Iím a long time WIS, but was looking to take my first foray into smart watches.

My primary need for this watch is pretty simple. Iím a pilot currently stuck on short call reserve. I also commute which puts me in a crash pad with a number of other jamokes who sleep around me on bunk beds.

As I can get called at all hours of the night, I had hoped to get a watch that would pair with my phone that I could put on vibrate and use as my source of announcing phone calls and setting the alarm.

Enter the iWatch. Being an Apple guy, this seemed a natural fit. However, after about six weeks waiting, my series 4 arrived broken. Speaking with customer service, they were surprisingly candid in telling me that this does happen a lot recently. So much for the iWatch.

It occurred to me that perhaps another decent smart watch might fulfill the same functions, without waiting another six weeks for a replacement iWatch.

Not knowing much about smart watches though I am not sure where to start.

Are there any suggestions as to another watch that might have this functionality that are popular amongst you guys? Perhaps a Suunto or Garmin, or something along those lines.

I appreciate any and all thoughts on the matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Smart Watch Recommendation

Are there no Apple stores in Kentucky? Shouldn't need to wait six weeks for a replacement Watch (not this long after release, anyway, depending on the model you pick).

But if you don't want an Apple Watch after all, Suunto seems to be the other major pick among military types.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Are there no Apple stores in Kentucky? Shouldn't need to wait six weeks for a replacement Watch (not this long after release, anyway, depending on the model you pick).

But if you don't want an Apple Watch after all, Suunto seems to be the other major pick among military types.
    Thanks for the reply!

Last I checked in the Apple stores, the Series 4 was out of stock and still in high demand. I chose a poor time to jump on the bandwagon I reckon.

So, do the Suuntos have the two features I was looking for? Truly my min requirements are pretty basic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know very little myself about Suunto and Garmin these days. Went with the AW soon after its original release three years ago and it works great for me, so I haven't looked too hard at anything else. We picked up a Series 4 Nike version on a whim about two weeks back, replacing my Series 2.

Maybe six or seven years ago, I went with Garmin for my fitness watch based partially on reviews posted by DC Rainmaker. If you narrow down which models you want based on the manufacturers' specs, go to this guy for more in-depth info.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/suunto
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

How long ago did you check on local stock of the AW? Which model did you want? The store at the Oxmoor Center mall says it's got stock of the 44mm space grey aluminum model with the fabric Sport loop, for example.
    (go here, scroll to below "Add to Bag", and check Pickup)
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...ack-sport-loop
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huh, Iíll have to check again. Iíve been out of town on reserve for about two weeks. Last I checked they were telling me no Series 4 until mid Nov at the earliest. Of course at the time I had my iWatch unopened sitting on my dining room table, so I wasnít following the supply levels too closely.

It looks like maybe the floodgates opened up a little sooner than I expected.

Still, as I am going to be sending back my broken iWatch, I am still considering whether some of the Garmin or Suunto models might be more my style.

If you buy one in-store, you can be sure it's working even before you walk away from the setup table.
    Deacon211 likes this.

Garmins are fine, Samsung also very nice proposition.
    I suggest to look at
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/g...l-4824981.html
    Or
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/58.../010-01850-04#

It mostly for woman (color choices) but there are neutral ones too. at 43mm it quite manly in size.

For notifications only you may be good with solar square G-Shock with BT
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/i-...e-4775729.html
    https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-gw...resin-squares/

Or GMW steel square.
    These don't vibrate (they beep) but on other hand you don't need to charge it ever. It's solar.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; November 13th, 2018 at 04:08.
    BarracksSi and Deacon211 like this.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    For notifications only you may be good with solar square G-Shock with BT
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/i-...e-4775729.html
    https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-gw...resin-squares/

Or GMW steel square.
    These don't vibrate (they beep) but on other hand you don't need to charge it ever. It's solar.
    Totally forgot about the bluetooth G-Shocks. Those would be good minimal-function* picks.

There's also Citizen's Proximity, which is solar, too.

*minimal function as in, no extensibility via third-party apps

And, btw, I think I've seen both at various PXes (but I haven't been to any bases in KY).
    Deacon211 and Rocket1991 like this.

So maybe not helpful at all, but for times I have to get up way early, or expect midnight work calls, I sleep with my phone under the pillow. Volume low enough not to disturb Ms. Nodnar. One plus is I can listen to something to fall asleep.

Now maybe helpful. I have a citizen proximity and would not recommend it for the critical use you describe. Itís a good enough watch, but:
    1) the low power Bluetooth is too weak to be dependable. Example, phone in back pocket, arms folded in front. The signal cannot reach through my torso and disconnects.
    2) I find it hard to read in dim light.
    3) the dual time is not quick to check as it has to wind all the way around on the 24 hour little hand. The minute, hour, and 24 hour hands are all geared together.

Itís a nice enough watch for occasional business travel, but not for what you describe. That may or may not apply to other low power (solar) Bluetooth watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BarracksSi likes this.

Well thanks for all the input guys, but in the end I just decided to trade in my iwatch for another.

I had seriously considered going for the Garmin D2 Delta for all its handy aviation functions and general design. But at 47mm I kind of figured it would be a little ungainly to sleep with.

Iíve considered other options for putting the phone under the pillow and such. The consequences of missing that 0200 call from scheduling are pretty significant however. Iím reluctant to start experimenting too much with whether some setting either succeeds or fails to wake me.

As it stands, the iwatch works well with my iphone (obviously). The vibration works OK, though I wish it was stronger. And the iwatch is comfortable enough to wear without much thought when I sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nodnar and Rocket1991 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information