Smart watches. It's not about telling time.
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Smart watches. It's not about telling time.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Smart watches. It's not about telling time.

Do you actually feel that smart watches are a threat to mechanical watches?

I was talking to a friend of mine over the weekend and he was asking me why I was into mechanical watches when his quartz watch was more accurate and a fraction of the cost. I thought about it and explained to him that for me "telling time" was almost the least important factor in a watch. Accurate time with a mechanical watch was more a measurement of refinement and tuning than anything else.

History, craftsmanship, micro-mechanics. diversity, the magic of a handmade little machine thats accurate to 99.998% of a day even when running relatively poorly were all things I listed.

He seemed confused that I didn't rate telling time as the number one reason for owning a watch. He's a big Porsche guy, so I asked him if owning a Porsche was about transportation, about just getting from one place to another, running errands. Then he got it. It's not about telling time, it's about how the time is told.

This got me to thinking. Are people who appreciate mechanical watches really drawn away from making a purchase by smart watches? The watch industry seems to like to blame the new technology as a reason for falling sales, but for me it's not even a device competing in the same market.

If you're a watch enthusiast you're not swayed by an electronic device. Are you?

Re: Smart watches. It's not about telling time.

I won't buy a smartwatch because much like the phone it'll connect to, it too will become a leash. It's probably so convenient that I won't wanna go anywhere without it, thus eliminating the need for a traditional watch at all.
    gossler likes this.

I use mine as a watch. To tell the time. It looks great on an aftermarket strap. Hell-I don't even know how most of the features work! I like it-but then again I tend not to overthink this hobby.

Palmettoman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I sold my Apple Watch to become less connected. There's nothing wrong with them though.
    Evil Lipgloss likes this.

No and there're not watches!!
    Alysandir and OvrSteer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    No and there're not watches!!
    No, they're not and that's my point. It's not a this or that thing. There's a lot of people who seem to believe the smart watch is stealing market share from the "traditional" watch. I just don't see it that way. They aren't competing, they're two completely different products.

Nobody goes shopping and compares a Hamilton to an Apple watch while on the hunt for a time piece. They are either looking for a watch or they're looking for a gadget.

I think it's disingenuous to blame smart watches for what many believe is a decline in watch sales. If anything makers are hurting themselves with elitist marketing. George Clooney on a yacht is not going to draw in new young watch buyers. They really need to abandon the ambassador marketing model in my opinion.
    Last edited by OnlyOneMore; April 13th, 2018 at 00:10.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    If you're a watch enthusiast you're not swayed by an electronic device. Are you?
    Why would you assume that? Electronic devices serve a purpose as well, and never forget that both are essentially forms of jewelry.

I wear my watch-of-the-day on my left wrist and a Fitbit Alta on my right wrist, with a bracelet that goes with whatever I'm wearing. For the few people who've asked me why I wear two watches, I correct them: I'm wearing one watch and one fitness tracking device. That the fitness device can also be used to tell time is irrelevant, because that's not why it's there.

I could just as easily see replacing the Fitbit with a smart device, if the value of doing so is compelling enough, but it's still not there to tell time.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

I love the looks of a lot of mechanical watches (Sinn/Rolex/Marathon/etc) but my profession and hobbies require something that I know will work all day every day. That means G-SHOCK and Suunto. They are a hell of a lot less money and they require zero service. Less moving parts means less issues. My new Suunto Traverse Alpha can do all that and then some. Plus you can turn those notifications off.

The watch industry can blame smart watches for their poor sales or they can try to innovate and stop relying on clever marketing. Or better yet, cut out the celebrity endorsement and pass the savings on to the customer.

I love watches that work, I couldn't care less how they work.
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.

time·piece
    ˈtīmˌpēs/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• an instrument, such as a clock or watch, for measuring time.

]noun: watch;
        a small timepiece worn typically on a strap on one's wrist

How is it not a watch? Because it goes beyond what watches typically do, tell time? Is a G-Shock a watch? It does a lot of things unrelated to telling time. How about watches with depth meters ? To be a watch does someting have to only perform functions reelated to time? Or can it be a watch if one of it's primary functions is to tell time. I use mine to tell the time,which it does very well. But now it's not a watch??

ACoulson likes this.

For people (non watch addicts) who own/buy other than mechanical/quartz watches, I agree with your assessment (in general) that it's not for time telling . . . that said, as an addict, I'd never wear a fitbit and a mechanical watch at the same time, kinda redundant from a time standpoint imo.
    ALS * anOrdain * AP * Beaubleu * BP * Cartier * DD&S * Direnzo * Fears * Hentschel * Invicta * IWC * JLC * Marnaut * Pancor * Rolex * Revolution * Stowa * Tiffany * Timor

"The deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information