Smart Watches to kill sub-$500 watch market?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Smart Watches to kill sub-$500 watch market?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Smart Watches to kill sub-$500 watch market?

Here is an episode pf the Watch and Listen pod cars with special guest celebrity chef Tyler Florence:

Around the 30 minute mark he starts to outline a scenario where Apple Watches and other smart watches take over the sub-$500 wristwatch market. Over the $500 price point luxury watches would still be in demand because those customers still buy them and don't move to smart watches for all the reasons that that don't currently buy $45 quarts watches.

What are the forum's thoughts on this?

Re: Smart Watches to kill sub-$500 watch market?

I can't watch the video right now, but I could see how the smart watch market could have an impact on the sub $500 category in the short term. However, I feel like smart watches aren't an end game product, but rather a stepping stone to what the future holds (like hybrids in the auto market). Right now they are making advancements in the functionality of smart watches, particularly with health and activity monitoring. In the not so distant future many of those functions will be available as implants or some other wearable technology and smart watches will start to look like the old mobile phones of the 80's. I have no desire for a smart watch, especially since they all seem to be over sized too. Ultimately I think technology will outpace the market and only the very mainstream offerings in the affordable watch arena will be impacted.
    lcw731 likes this.

I'll watch the video later tonight but I don't want a smart watch, I can see the advantage of Bluetooth on a digital though, easier setup, time sync and such. Forget the health stuff, forget the pay by watch stuff. Also all my watches are under 1000.00 usd. I'm just not into them..

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wasn't that interested in wearing an Apple Watch until I got one. I got it mainly to wear when cycling. Now, I feel naked without it. The LTE connectivity was the big deal for me.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmettoman View Post
    I wasn't that interested in wearing an Apple Watch until I got one. I got it mainly to wear when cycling. Now, I feel naked without it. The LTE connectivity was the big deal for me.
    Yep. As I mentioned in my post in the 'other' smart watch thread going on right now - I wasn't a fan until I got my Garmin. Now, it's by far my most commonly worn watch. The functionality makes it impossible to put away.

Still love my regular watches - and I may still buy a new one at some point - but there's no way I'm hopping off the smart watch train, now.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

This view has been expressed by a lot of people and websites, and kinda proven true already. Fossil themselves, I believe, have acknowledged this, and their sales in recent years have taken a huge hit, as well as their competitors in that fashion brand market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gonna kill more than the $500 dollar watch market

I have clients with 60k watches at home and they walk around with an Apple Watch
    Dan Finch likes this.

Ard

Although this forum does not encompass the entirety of watch addicts I think a quick trip through the Affordable Watches sub forum here will give you a snapshot image. From there you may be able to figure out the answer to your own question.

I have had an Apple Watch for a week or so now and haven't worn another watch since. This is the first time one watch has been on my wrist for this long in over 5 years.
    I'm not really sure where my watch hobby is going now.

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    Gonna kill more than the $500 dollar watch market

I have clients with 60k watches at home and they walk around with an Apple Watch
    I definitely notice at my work that most of the VP’s and other high ups I see are wearing an Apple Watch more often than not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information