Smarter watches
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kramer5150

Thread: Smarter watches

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Smarter watches

    Am I really the only person on the planet who wants to see a smartwatch minus connectivity?

    An advanced digital with really cool offline apps...


    Watches that came close but not close enough:

    Casio Pro Trek PRX 2500
    Phosphor Touch Time
    70s calculator watches featuring square root and memory function
    Keep calm and carry on.

    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135


    - Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

  2. #2
    Member yankeexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    36,057

    Re: Smarter watches

    There are tons of variations on the digital theme made by Casio, Seiko and Citizen.

    Partial to the GW-9400 triple sensor myself.....darn near bulletproof as well.

  3. #3
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Smarter watches

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    There are tons of variations on the digital theme made by Casio, Seiko and Citizen.

    Partial to the GW-9400 triple sensor myself.....darn near bulletproof as well.
    oh man i just wish it were an area that were developed further, whether through touchscreen and/or buttons. it seems to me there's so much potential.

    i don't know what anyone here knows about the Rosicrucians, but it's the actual science of astrology, a huge database with that...haha
    Keep calm and carry on.

    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135


    - Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,676

    Re: Smarter watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo 8135 View Post
    Am I really the only person on the planet who wants to see a smartwatch minus connectivity?

    An advanced digital with really cool offline apps...


    Watches that came close but not close enough:

    Casio Pro Trek PRX 2500
    Phosphor Touch Time
    70s calculator watches featuring square root and memory function
    Not sure about apple and Samsung... but with Android wear 2.x and full Android 5.1 you can achieve this by turning off wifi and bluetooth radio. Turn on the radios only when you need to download apps or need the connectivity for notifications. For cellular connected watches, devices that accept a SIM card, just don't install a SIM card or turn the cellular radio off.

    All watches have an airplane mode, with the tap of the screen you can turn off all radios and connectivity at once.

    So essentially you are left with a "dumb watch" with a nice touch screen. The biggest limitation here is battery life, so you will need to turn off the screen to conserve battery. This is where the tilt to wake sensor comes into play. The other limitation here is most apps need some kind of connectivity to really work. A basic calendar app or weather app for example needs to connect to "something" in order to receive updated data and perform its basic task.

    LEMFO just released the LEM6 it runs with open source android 5.1. I am considering getting this one. If you turn off the radios and connectivity it will function as you describe for the most part.
    Last edited by kramer5150; December 14th, 2017 at 18:26.

  6. #5
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Smarter watches

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Not sure about apple and Samsung... but with Android wear 2.x and full Android 5.1 you can achieve this by turning off wifi and bluetooth radio. Turn on the radios only when you need to download apps or need the connectivity for notifications. For cellular connected watches, devices that accept a SIM card, just don't install a SIM card or turn the cellular radio off.

    All watches have an airplane mode, with the tap of the screen you can turn off all radios and connectivity at once.

    So essentially you are left with a "dumb watch" with a nice touch screen. The biggest limitation here is battery life, so you will need to turn off the screen to conserve battery. This is where the tilt to wake sensor comes into play. The other limitation here is most apps need some kind of connectivity to really work. A basic calendar app or weather app for example needs to connect to "something" in order to receive updated data and perform its basic task.

    LEMFO just released the LEM6 it runs with open source android 5.1. I am considering getting this one.
    Thanks. You’ve identified my problem with that solution - battery life. I want something with 1-2 years battery life.
    Keep calm and carry on.

    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135


    - Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

  7. #6
    Member kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,676

    Re: Smarter watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo 8135 View Post
    Thanks. You’ve identified my problem with that solution - battery life. I want something with 1-2 years battery life.
    batteries are always going to be a limitation with todays electronic devices. FWIW my moto 360, 46mm is still going strong with the original battery. It is almost 2 years old. I bought it in March 2016. With very basic use during the day receiving text notifications I routinely go from 6AM ~ 11PM and have a good 70-80% charge remaining. So I try to charge it every evening, but there are times I forget and I can make it through to the next evening.

    Lithium based batteries just have a finite overall life span and can only handle so many charge/discharge cycles.

    A lot of the Android 5.1 watch batteries can be replaced. You'll need some small tools though. Finding a source to buy them from might be a challenge.

    Many (but not all) smart watches are designed to be obsolete every 2-3 years (if that in some cases)... disposable / expendable item. I don't agree with philosophy though, and thats why I only have one smart watch and have not expanded into a collection. Its just throwing $$$ away. I will continue to use my moto 360 for as long as I can. I am not in any hurry to replace it.
    Last edited by kramer5150; December 14th, 2017 at 19:10.

  8. #7
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Smarter watches

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    batteries are always going to be a limitation with todays electronic devices. FWIW my moto 360, 46mm is still going strong with the original battery. It is almost 2 years old. I bought it in March 2016. With very basic use during the day receiving text notifications I routinely go from 6AM ~ 11PM and have a good 70-80% charge remaining. So I try to charge it every evening, but there are times I forget and I can make it through to the next evening.

    Lithium based batteries just have a finite overall life span and can only handle so many charge/discharge cycles.

    A lot of the Android 5.1 watch batteries can be replaced. You'll need some small tools though. Finding a source to buy them from might be a challenge.

    Many (but not all) smart watches are designed to be obsolete every 2-3 years (if that in some cases)... disposable / expendable item. I don't agree with philosophy though, and thats why I only have one smart watch and have not expanded into a collection. Its just throwing $$$ away. I will continue to use my moto 360 for as long as I can. I am not in any hurry to replace it.
    I’m not sure you understood. The watches I mentioned in OP have 1-2 year battery life WITHOUT the need for recharging.

    I may have bought an Apple Watch but there’s no way I want to charge a watch daily. Pebble Time Steel I did own. 8 day battery life irl. Would buy another Pebble if Fitbit make one as I want connected weather app on watch as opposed to barometer.
    Keep calm and carry on.

    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135


    - Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

  9. #8
    Member kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,676

    Re: Smarter watches

    Oh I see... Yeah frequent charging is definitely one of the downsides. Pebble still is an option though. My cousin still uses his and its running fine. So far fitbit hasn't killed off everything, they've only stopped new product development. I am thinking about getting one, but wanted to talk to him about it this christmas when I go visit.

  10. #9
    Member Paulo 8135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: Smarter watches

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Oh I see... Yeah frequent charging is definitely one of the downsides. Pebble still is an option though. My cousin still uses his and its running fine. So far fitbit hasn't killed off everything, they've only stopped new product development. I am thinking about getting one, but wanted to talk to him about it this christmas when I go visit.
    Yeah I would avoid the older Pebbles, Fitbit has only guaranteed software support until the end of this year. Some people are coming up with 3rd party stuff, but the best I could find was version 0.21 or something - nowhere near practical. Hopefully Fitbit does revive the brand, no touchscreen + e-ink display = decent battery life...
    Keep calm and carry on.

    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135


    - Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Leaner smarter U-Boats: 43mm Chimeras with new crown system
      By Michael Weare in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: July 24th, 2013, 05:13
    2. Leaner smarter U-Boats: 43mm Chimeras with new crown system
      By Michael Weare in forum Bloggers United
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: July 23rd, 2013, 19:40
    3. Replies: 26
      Last Post: October 1st, 2012, 23:22
    4. Men smarter than women?
      By vinylgreek in forum The Cafe
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: February 21st, 2010, 14:31
    5. We do get smarter...
      By Sean779 in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: February 9th, 2008, 17:10

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •