Smartwatches dying?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Smartwatches dying?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Smartwatches dying?

New products of Android Wear are really expensive. Maybe people would focus on Android watch,that is much cheaper.

I think there's already a thread of the same essence, might as well check that out too. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Smartwatches running Android software are getting crushed, that's for sure. At this point, it's just Fitbit and Apple making money.

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/20...martwatch-room
    There have been only three legitimate players in the smartwatch industry.

Apple
    Garmin
    Samsung

Combined, these three companies have represented 78 percent of smartwatch shipments over the past two years. Even more remarkable, no other company has come close to these three in terms of unit sales. Since the beginning of 2015, only seven companies have shipped more than 200,000 smartwatches in any given quarter. Out of those seven, one will soon be broken up in a fire sale (Pebble), another just announced it was getting out of smartwatches (Motorola), and two have shown little interest in releasing new smartwatches (Huawei and LG). This leaves Apple, Garmin, and Samsung.

Even more astounding, the "Other" category, the usual industry catch basin for dozens of other companies, is on track to account for just 11 percent of smartwatch shipments in 2016. One group of companies found in the "Other" category are the original sellers of utility on the wrist - watchmakers. The Swiss watch industry continues to dabble with connected watches. However, one would be correct in questioning the motivation guiding some of these companies. TAG Heuer, apparently in an attempt to claim its position as one of the more successful Swiss watchmakers when it comes to smartwatches, announced it will sell just 75,000 connected watches in 2016. Those kinds of sales make the Swiss watch industry completely irrelevant in terms of the broader smartwatch market.
    It's not exactly correct to compare Fitbit's one-trick-pony tracker wristbands with smartwatches, either -- it's like comparing bicycles to midsize sedans. Still, Fitbit's growth has stopped, and Apple's on track for a record quarter of AW sales. Keep an eye out for Apple's quarterly earnings call in another few weeks (and stop chasing clickbait headlines.. ahem...).

Maybe you could say that smartwatches are "dying", but it's more like the brands whose products didn't stick are dying. Long ago, I used the analogy that there were plenty of chefs in the kitchen trying to make their own ideas of what smartwatches should be. By now, we can tell which ones found the right recipe and which ones were tossed in the trash.

I would also include Apple in the "getting crushed" category. This holiday season...the number 1 IOS app download was......

Fitbit app. 😂

Last edited by Buhma55c; December 27th, 2016 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Buhma55c View Post
    I would also include Apple in the "getting crushed" category. This holiday season...the number 1 IOS app download was......

Fitbit app. 

Why would an Apple Watch user download the Apple Watch app when it’s already been a part of iOS since 8.2 (March 2015)?

Editing to add: It’s like BarracksSi pointing out the flaw in saying that Apple sales are low because their sales are low . . . on Amazon—where people tend to not buy Apple products and instead would rather go to their local Apple Store.
    Last edited by scentedlead; December 28th, 2016 at 04:55.

Until Tim Cooke actually releases Apple Watch numbers, all we can go on is inference. Hmmmm Apple gives us sales numbers for IPhone IPad, macbooks, hell even Apple TV.... If sales were so great...you would think they would be shouting their watch sales numbers from the rooftops...but no...alas, all we get is "we sold a bunch"

Also the point of that Fitbit factoid.... Even Apple IPhone users are buying enough fitbits to actually take the top spot of app downloads...do Apple fanboys need everything spelled out for you?
    whoa and DANinCLE like this.

Anyone can download a free app. I’ve downloaded many free apps and used that to determine whether or not to buy the hardware.

Smartwatches dying?

I downloaded the Fitbit app, too, and I don't own a Fitbit. I was basically using their service without paying a dime for it.

It served my purpose -- "competing" with my sister, who had just gotten a Fitbit of her own. I won. ;-p

[edit] I should add that I've downloaded at least a dozen fitness-oriented apps, and Fitbit just sits there among all the rest. I hardly use it.
    Last edited by BarracksSi; December 28th, 2016 at 06:28.

The smartwatch category as a whole has failed to connect with the general public. Since the start of 2015, approximately 35 million smartwatches have shipped, compared to 385 million tablets and 2.9.billion.smartphones. "In 2016 . . . for every smartwatch shipped, 10 tablets and 78 smartphones will have been sold," Above Avalon analyst Neil Cybart wrote in a recent research report.

But it’s also true that many, many people still don’t see a good reason to purchase a smartwatch, from Apple or anyone else. The public understands the benefits of tracking steps, exercise, and sleep, but all you need for that is a FitBit, which, it just so happens, has consistently sold millions more than the Apple Watch every quarter.
    Last edited by Buhma55c; December 28th, 2016 at 22:58.
    IvanC likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information