Suggestions for a smart watch with physical buttons Android compatible
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a smart watch with physical buttons Android compatible

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Suggestions for a smart watch with physical buttons Android compatible

Hello, I am still using my pebble as i prefer to use physical buttons rather than swiping on a screen. I have also used a vector watch but unfortunately they have also been bought out by fitbit and buried. I have tried to get along with android wear with the huwaei watch w1 which has one button but still to much swiping for my liking. So any other watches that have more than one button that i can look into or am i going to have to carry on with my pebble for now? thanks for your time Martin
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

Re: Suggestions for a smart watch with physical buttons Android compatible

I like pushers too, and always wished my moto 360 had 1-2 more. I have a fossil gen 4 explorist, which has two pushers and a rotating button/crown, its kind of like a scroll wheel on a mouse. Cool thing is the buttons can be programmed to open apps and functions. I can go straight into my text messages and count down timer. It would be cool if the pushers could be programmed differently for specific apps, maybe some day. I also have an amazfit stratos that has 3 pushers. Its more of a fitness watch with some limited smart features, and certainly does not have the app ecosystem of a pebble. But it does have a trans-reflective display which behaves a lot like the color e-ink screens used on the pebble. Not sure exactly how a pebble works, but I dont think you're going to completely get away from screen swipes and taps with todays full featured smart watches.

The ticwatch pro and new Huawei GT also have dual pushers.

Thankfully Android wear is dead and buried. That was an awful experience (to put it politely). So whatever preconceptions you may have from your Huawei W1 experience, you can kind of set those aside. The newer Google WearOS is a million times more stable and better supported. At least for me since early November. Its still google though so that has its pros and cons.
    Last edited by kramer5150; January 19th, 2019 at 20:09.

oops double

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    I like pushers too, and always wished my moto 360 had 1-2 more. I have a fossil gen 4 explorist, which has two pushers and a rotating button/crown, its kind of like a scroll wheel on a mouse. Cool thing is the buttons can be programmed to open apps and functions. I can go straight into my text messages and count down timer. It would be cool if the pushers could be programmed differently for specific apps, maybe some day. I also have an amazfit stratos that has 3 pushers. Its more of a fitness watch with some limited smart features, and certainly does not have the app ecosystem of a pebble. But it does have a trans-reflective display which behaves a lot like the color e-ink screens used on the pebble. Not sure exactly how a pebble works, but I dont think you're going to completely get away from screen swipes and taps with todays full featured smart watches. The ticwatch pro and new Huawei GT also have dual pushers. Thankfully Android wear is dead and buried. That was an awful experience (to put it politely). So whatever preconceptions you may have from your Huawei W1 experience, you can kind of set those aside. The newer Google WearOS is a million times more stable and better supported. At least for me since early November. Its still google though so that has its pros and cons.
    The fossils seem to be 44mm which is a bit big for me as 42mm is my max. Looking on amazon it seems v3 is the latest available in the uk. Seems useful with the scrolling crown though.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

Fossil also has the new sport model. Its an all-plastic and color matched aluminum look, more like a fitbit IMHO. But its not too big and has the button interface you are looking for. Skagen also has their Falster watch at 41mm... which is basically a sized down Fossil. (Its made at the same factory as Fossil and IIRC Skagen partnered with Fossil for its development).

One thing you should be aware of is many of the smaller watches also have smaller batteries. For me I always chose the bigger watches just for the higher capacity battery. Fortunately my wrists are about 63mm across the flat part where I wear my watch, so I am OK with the larger case sizes.

You may want to check out the Garmin Fenix series depending on the features your looking for. 5 configurable buttons to control all features. it comes in a fairly chunky 42mm size. I've had the 51mm version for about a month and have really enjoyed it so far. it is the first smart watch I've owned though so can't really compare it to anything else.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Omega SMP 2254.50

Omega Planet Ocean 2200.50.00
    Tissot PRS516 Tissot PR100
    Breitling Headwind A45355
    Tag Heuer Golf Watch WAE1111
    Garmin Fenix 5X Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Fossil also has the new sport model. Its an all-plastic and color matched aluminum look, more like a fitbit IMHO. But its not too big and has the button interface you are looking for. Skagen also has their Falster watch at 41mm... which is basically a sized down Fossil. (Its made at the same factory as Fossil and IIRC Skagen partnered with Fossil for its development).

One thing you should be aware of is many of the smaller watches also have smaller batteries. For me I always chose the bigger watches just for the higher capacity battery. Fortunately my wrists are about 63mm across the flat part where I wear my watch, so I am OK with the larger case sizes.
    Thanks for the skagen suggestion it does have the 3buttons but battery life is awful and it gets generally poor reviews.
    The fossil sport is not available in the uk it seems.

dkh

Check out the Amazfit Stratos. I've had one for a couple of months now and really like it. You can navigate either by swiping or by using the three buttons on the side; I tend to use the buttons more when running. Accurate GPS, pretty good fitness features, onboard music storage (yay!) and killer battery life. The only thing I am still a bit unsure of is the screen; it is transreflective, which helps with the power usage, but can be hard to read in low light. Outside in sunlight, the screen is superb, much better than an active matrix screen. It also has a backlight. All in all an excellent value IMO.

How about a golf smart watch? Quite a few nice ones that do a lot of the typical smart watch features. My daughter uses her golf watch all the time when she's not golfing.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

x2 on the amazfit stratos. IMHO its a fitness watch, that's "smart enough". I have had mine for about 1.5 weeks. So far I have use it on a 3 mile and a 4.5 mile hike on the local trails. Very happy with its performance.

The samsung galaxy watch also has a good following.

The Stratos and galaxy might be too big for you though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information