Is there an Android watch with always-on backlight?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is there an Android watch with always-on backlight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there an Android watch with always-on backlight?

I know the Huawei watch comes closest as it's always backlit. But it has a few problems.
    One, it doesn't adjust brightness to ambient conditions.
    Two, the "always on" watch face is not the full watch face you use. It's just a dumbed down version with time-only display.

Re: Is there an Android watch with always-on backlight?

Don't think so. Maybe TAG's does. I haven't cared to look since I think it's not important for the display to be showing things to the wall or the guy next to me on the subway.

I like to take a glance at my watch without letting everyone around me know that I'm doing it. I have an Apple Watch and it's impossible to discreetly look at the time. I don't want people to think I'm discrespecting them by waving my arm in the middle of a conversation just to make sure my watch understands the gesture and turns on the display. It's one of the main reasons I never really got comfortable with smartwatches and prefer my mechanical ones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Always on is nice, but how big does that watch have to be for the battery to last 24 hours? Or, if max watch size isn’t negotiable, then the other compromise is a cheaper screen. Or another compromise is to have as few pixels on.

John Gruber’s review of the original AW pointed to this as an annoyance and I’d say he’s hit the mark—this is going to be annoying of the AW (and other similar smartwatches) if you’re coming from traditional watches.

One of the reasons I want an AW Series 2 is that those let you wake the screen with the crown. From the videos I’ve seen, the more you turn the crown, the brighter the screen. So if all you need is a dim screen—say at a movie theater—just turn the crown a little bit.
    Last edited by scentedlead; October 28th, 2016 at 10:13.

I am unaware of any Android watch that offers an always-on backlight.

You can, however, use an Android watch app called "StayLit Wear" that let's you custom set your backlight to any length of time, including always on. It works on my Huawei and ASUS Zenwatch 2.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    I know the Huawei watch comes closest as it's always backlit. But it has a few problems.
    One, it doesn't adjust brightness to ambient conditions.
    Two, the "always on" watch face is not the full watch face you use. It's just a dumbed down version with time-only display.
    You are right... and also wrong.

Right on the OEM faces. However, there are plenty of 3rd party faces made with WatchMaker that uses always on with alternative settings to dim the face so the battery last longer.

I think you are confusing the 'down dumb' comment with the Moto2nd gen, which does exactly that.

I could have this face all the time on:

20160920_181404 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

or with another face give me the option of doing this which doubles the battery life

20160920_180641 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Even with the face dimmed down, how long does the battery last? And what kind of screen does your watch have?
    Last edited by scentedlead; October 28th, 2016 at 22:50.

Wolfsatz, those look extremely good! Thanks for setting the record straight. I have the same question as before me -- can you have that fancy watchface on and comfortably get a full day out of the battery? I've been tempted by the Huawei watch.

what a about the samsung Gear S2 and the upcomming Gear S3? I think they are 'always on' watches. As the display is oled, they don't need backlight... I use a S7 with the always on function and battery life is almost same with the function switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    Wolfsatz, those look extremely good! Thanks for setting the record straight. I have the same question as before me -- can you have that fancy watchface on and comfortably get a full day out of the battery? I've been tempted by the Huawei watch.
    the whole reason for me to buy the Huawei was that exactly. With a face ON all the time. I could get almost a full day. With the Dim combo face, I would stretch it up to almost 2 full days. It really depends on how the face uses the resources. Some faces out there are battery drainers.

I only have the Moto3601st gen now(as I traded the Huawei) and still can get over a full day with the Dim on the 2nd picture. Keep in mind that when I tilt the watch to look at it, it becomes a full feature face.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information