The Truth about Smartwatches...
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: The Truth about Smartwatches...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Truth about Smartwatches...

Hi WUS'ers... Frontline released an episode on Artificial Intelligence. Where it stands, where it comes from and where it's going in the future. Keep in mind its one piece of journalism, or in this case its one piece divided into 5 cases. A journalist always has viewpoints and picks / choses which views to share in the piece. So its not a full picture entirely, but I think this piece does a good job presenting multiple cases.

In summary, the term "Artificial Intelligence" in a certain aspect is the tech-fancy, politically correct buzz-word for selling peoples personal information after covertly / discretely harvesting, storing and algorithmically analyzing it for financial gain.

https://youtu.be/5dZ_lvDgevk

It's relevant for smartwatch users, because these devices are personal data harvesters for the app developers, software developers and watch manufacturers. As fitness trackers that is the real price we are paying for using these devices. The cost of the device is just the front door. We pay by forking over our personal information... age, gender, ethnicity, weight loss/gain, sleep history, GPS locations, heart rates, step counts, types of fitness activities, when we partake in fitness activities, calories expended...etc...etc.

Google bought fitbit for $2.1B (!!) a month ago... you can bet every one of those dollars they are going to cash in on the wealth of fitness data harvested by that user population.

I think it's important to let traditional horology fans / collectors know about this truth before they add a smartwatch to their collections.
    Last edited by kramer5150; December 17th, 2019 at 15:29.
    brandon\, lvt and Iraya like this.

Re: The Truth about Smartwatches...

Knock knock. Sarah Connor?......

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

What's so frightening about it ?
    JCB43 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    In summary, the term "Artificial Intelligence" really is the tech-fancy, politically correct buzz-word for selling peoples personal information after covertly / discretely harvesting, storing and algorithmically analyzing it.
    Sorry, but no it's not. I work with AI solutions in the tech field, and I can tell you, 100%, AI is NOT a "politically correct buzz-word for selling peoples personal information". That is completely false and incorrect.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

That data collected from our devices is used to improve the health research tremendously and we will probably see in the next decade major breakthroughs in medicine, because of the amount of data available. I don't know about you, but there's nothing frightening about this. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.
    Myrrhman and JCB43 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrhman View Post
    What's so frightening about it ?
    I am not sure specifically what people are frightened of. I would imagine it varies from person to person. But I think there are traditional watch fans and collectors on this board who might be on the fence about adding a smart watch. For them I think it's in their best interest to be aware of this aspect of the devices.
    Last edited by kramer5150; December 8th, 2019 at 03:07.
    Myrrhman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner1 View Post
    Sorry, but no it's not. I work with AI solutions in the tech field, and I can tell you, 100%, AI is NOT a "politically correct buzz-word for selling peoples personal information". That is completely false and incorrect.
    No need to be sorry or apologetic. I can perfectly accept being wrong, and I am thankful to have developers like you who are willing to correct those who are wrong on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    That data collected from our devices is used to improve the health research tremendously and we will probably see in the next decade major breakthroughs in medicine, because of the amount of data available. I don't know about you, but there's nothing frightening about this. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.
    I Agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    Yup. I went ahead and participated in Stanford's Heart Study via their Apple app. Looks like I was one of the nearly half-million participants, too. That's a much bigger sample set than they've ever had in a clinical trial.
    https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...study-acc-2019
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/18/appl...nd-debate.html

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    I am not sure specifically what people are frightened of. I would imagine it varies from person to person. But I think there are traditional watch fans and collectors on this board who might be on the fence about adding a smart watch. For them I think it's in their best interest to be aware of this aspect of the devices.
    At least keep your facts -- and the platforms -- correct. I wouldn't trust Google with the name of my cat, never mind anything else. I won't buy a Nest, I won't buy a Roomba, and I won't buy a Ring. I don't even want to buy a TV anymore unless I can remove its wifi card.
    Iraya likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information