Using a 4g smart watch without a SIM / Pairing only

Thread: Using a 4g smart watch without a SIM / Pairing only

I'm looking into purchasing a smart watch for between £80-£130 and a lot of the options coming up are 4g standalone watches running Android OS. Is it possible to use one of these watches without a SIM in a straightforward pairing mode so all notifications are 'push' and still retain full functionality? 4g in a watch isn't an option I need, but it seems standard for most of watches I'm looking at. A lot of these appear to be Chinese brands such as LEMFO / Kospet. I'm fine with this, I'm mainly seeking functionality for messaging/emails/social media with music function and a few sports modes. Any advice on the 4g situation and recommendations on watches will be helpful. Cheers

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Using a 4g smart watch without a SIM / Pairing only

Moved to the more suitable forum. Newbies are kindly requested to familiarize with our fora prior to posting.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Cheers Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

At least somewhat similar —

I used a non-cellular Apple Watch for three years (a first-gen for two years, and then a Series 2 for a year before getting my Series 4), and I barely felt like it was a problem.

At home, my AW always maintained a connection with my phone over WiFi, so Bluetooth range didn’t matter. It also worked well in the car and when I was out of the house as long as I had my phone with me. Back then, when going out with my wife, I began keeping my phone in her purse, keeping me connected to my job while reducing my temptation to distract myself while she browsed clothes.

It’s nice to have a cellular smartwatch — you can always reach someone during a jog, and you can travel lighter — but it’s hardly a requirement.

My understanding is you can use the full-android OS watches without a SIM card. It just defaults to a bluetooth notification + wifi device, whichever radio you prefer to leave on. Kospet and LEMFO seem to be the most popular, Zeblaze seems to be another popular brand. Regarding messaging and emails, IMHO a watch face is too small to really serve as a convenient interface. I occasionally use my fossil / WearOS for this purpose, but its really just a notification device to buzz my wrist and let me know who is calling/texting at a glance.

Thread Information