Using regular watch but would like limited notifications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JOL

Thread: Using regular watch but would like limited notifications

JOL

Using regular watch but would like limited notifications

Hi all,

I usually have my phone on silent/vibrate due to my work; however, I oftentimes don't feel the vibration when the phone is in my pocket. Similarly, when I'm out and about, I often don't hear my phone ring (and I do not want to be THAT person that turns heads because his phone's ringer is set to max volume).

A few years back, I used a Pebble, but found it gave me too much information. Because of that experience, I have not had any interest in a smartwatch such as an Apple Watch. Instead, I picked up a $20 Xiaomi Mi Band 2 (basically the same as a Fitbit Alta HR), as it did what I needed: it told me the date and time, woke me up in the mornings, and buzzed my wrist when I received a call, text, or e-mail. Plus, it could go 30 days between charges. Although the Xiaomi can do more fitness-oriented tasks, I hardly ever use them.

After using the Xiaomi for the past year, I find myself wanting to wear my traditional watches more often (or at least a smartwatch that looked and felt more like a traditional watch. I tried wearing both the band and a watch (whether on the same, or on opposite, arms), but thought it looked goofy on me. I recently tried two different Skagen Hybrid Smartwatches (the Jorn and the Hagen), but found the vibration motors to be so weak that, unless I was expecting a notification, I would miss it completely. Also, for some reason, the Jorn was much less functional than the Hagen, e.g., you could not set an alarm. Also checked out the Garmin Vivomove HR, but didn't like the way it felt or looked. Last, I checked out Fossil's hybrid smartwatch offerings, but didn't like any of their styles.

So with that long background out of the way, I wanted to know if there were any products, whether currently available, or which are on the horizon, that would address my desire to wear traditional watches while still receiving the limited notifications noted above. I had previously eyed either Chronos or Trivoly (discs that attached to traditional watches), but the reviews were off-putting, to say the least. Not sure if these companies have improved their products, or if they have been displaced by other companies making better products.

I know some people just wear their smartwatch, or their traditional watch, on an as-needed basis, and that may work for them. However, I am hoping there's a product out there that will fit my unique need, desire, and/or hope.

Re: Using regular watch but would like limited notifications

Name:  cf-lg.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  45.6 KB
    Garmin
    It should be special!

JOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Name:  cf-lg.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  45.6 KB
    Garmin
    Thanks for the input - as noted above, I did see and handle a Garmin Vivomove HR in person, albeit the sport version (not the premium version you posted a photo of). I don't know how to accurately describe it, but it just felt ... cheap. However, perhaps the premium won't feel the same way given the metal v. plastic body.

Second, the reviews seem mixed given the $200/$300 price, e.g., issues w/ software and hardware (touchscreen not registering, screen unreadable in sunlight, time going out of sync).

With that said, this is still a watch worth considering.
    Rocket1991 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you checked out Kronaby yet? A local shop has some and they're pretty nice-looking in person. Not functional enough to lure me away from my AW, but might be your type.
    https://www.kronaby.com

I should add that I don't think you'll find anything other than a Vivofit or Fitbit smart/fitness band (or your Xiaomi) that'll work reliably enough for basic (i.e., non-actionable) notifications while also not being a replacement for traditional watches. The Chronos and Trivoly seem like cash grabs, not serious device efforts with enough of a support infrastructure for full production.
    Last edited by BarracksSi; June 5th, 2018 at 22:09.

JOL

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Have you checked out Kronaby yet? A local shop has some and they're pretty nice-looking in person. Not functional enough to lure me away from my AW, but might be your type.
    https://www.kronaby.com

I should add that I don't think you'll find anything other than a Vivofit or Fitbit smart/fitness band (or your Xiaomi) that'll work reliably enough for basic (i.e., non-actionable) notifications while also not being a replacement for traditional watches. The Chronos and Trivoly seem like cash grabs, not serious device efforts with enough of a support infrastructure for full production.
    Thank you for the input. I had heard of Kronaby, but, for some unknown reason, never took a serious look at the brand or its watches. For whatever reason, I thought the watches were more expensive, but the prices actually seem reasonable if the watch were to be my one and only wrist device. Wish there were authorized sellers near me (closest one is an hour away - on a good day), but may be worth considering.

Disappointed to hear your take on Chronos and Trivoly. They really seemed like promising devices, but the majority of reviews I've read/seen have not been positive.

You can restrict what notifications you get on the pebble in its config.

Still use a pebble time as i find AW clunky on the huweau SW1
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

I understand your dilemma. I, too, have gone through pretty much all of the smart watches, and wear an Apple Watch much of the time. However, when I wear the Apple Watch, I’m aware of the lack of “soul”, and I miss my mechanicals.

When I wear my mechanicals, I miss the utility, and often miss notifications. The best compromise I currently have is the Martian Notifier, which is excellent, but looks quite cheap and plasticky. You will NOT miss notifications with that; it makes me jump sometimes because the vibration is so strong.

I also have the Fossil Q Crewmaster, which is a nice looking watch (albeit too big), but the vibration is next to useless, and I struggle to find the utility when it’s only telling me that I have a notification, and possibly from whom. I still have to go to the phone to get any meaningful information.

It’s a problem, but I still have faith that hybrid watches will be the best bet in the future. I’m intrigued by the new Fossil Q Commuter. It’s a more reasonable size (41 mm, I believe), and looks quite nice. I’m trying to find out from someone who owns one whether the vibration is any better than the Crewmaster.
    Last edited by 88Keys; June 6th, 2018 at 21:02. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Sorry to be a necro but it seems trivoly is back w version 3

Anyone has good experiences with trivoly?

Years ago bought a chronos, similar watch disc to trivoly, and the disc didn't even last a month before opening up. Similar complaints heard from other users on Internet.

Don't wanna make a similar mistake with trivoly

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Two years on (just about) , what did you end up getting?
    As it happens a site in the Netherlands has a one day offer today, 03 June 2020, of the
    "Aviator F-Series Smartwatch Black 45 mm | AVW79215G360"
    for €60 instead of the normal price €275.
    Offer open until midnight central European summer time.
    watch2day (dot) nl

Thread Information