Bark and Jack Montblanc Video
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kirk B

Thread: Bark and Jack Montblanc Video

Bark and Jack Montblanc Video

Bark and Jack just uploaded a decent video regarding the current Montblanc collection and highlighting a couple particular pieces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_aOk4xWXk
    Sergei T. likes this.

Re: Bark and Jack Montblanc Video

I just don't get it.
    I like their older watches and when I asked the salesmen about the older model he said "it's so expensive to make the watch that Montblanc was loosing money when they sold them"
    Yeah... The watch never made them money and they just made it to give people a great deal.

I walked out of the story and NEVER looked at the brand again.

Interesting video with Davide Cerrato, but I don't think Adrian's title (that Tudor better watch out) is anywhere near correct.

Tudor is synonymous with dive watches. Where is Montblanc's dive watch? I would suggest that Montblanc has a racing heritage (through Minerva). But to my eye, outside of the TimeWalker lineup, most of Montblanc's other watches evoke designs that look to be inspired by pilots/aviation watches (i.e. the 1858 collection). So I don't see Montblanc competing in the same space as Tudor on design or style.

Even on the price/value proposition standpoint, I don't think Tudor has anything to worry about. Tudor's high-end, in-house, COSC movements are readily affordable (a la the BB 58, BB GMT in the mid to upper $3k USD range at retail). Montblanc's high-end MB in house movements are in watches that will set you back at least five figures (i.e. the Chronograph Rally Timer LE, 1858 Monopusher, Heritage Chronometrie Chronograph Annual Calendar or Exo Tourbillon, Timewalker Exo Tourbillon Minute Chronograph LE, etc.). They aren't on the same playing field.

Current:
    - Omega Speedmaster "FOIS" 311.32.40.30.01.001 #89XX

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I listened to a Frederico video filmed in October and he mentioned that a friend of his from his Richemont days said only two Swiss entry and mid-level luxury brands were showing any decent growth, Frederique Constant and Montblanc.

I mentioned in a thread on ABTW and the consensus was disbelief. I have no idea whether Frederico was correct or not, but it isn't too hard for me to believe. Jerome Lambert, the new Richemont CEO, came from Montblanc, and his biggest success was successfully integrating Minerva into the the Le Loche watchmaking base. I was talking to my AD, she said that 1858 (Minerva based) watches do very well. She also said the new TimeWalker pieces do well, in fact if someone comes in looking for TAGs and he can't make up his mind, she will direct them to the Timewalkers, and she said she if the buyer isn't a lurker, he will usually go home with one or the other.

As for FC, not my style, but they do win on price. In fact, I think the best thing about FC is they stand as a critique to Swiss Watch pricing. IWC's cheapest Tourbillon is a simple hand-winding tourbillon for $56 grand. FC makes a perpetual calendar tourbillion for $21 grand.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8900 M.C. Ref. 220.10.41.21.06.001
    Omega Seamaster Professional M.C. Ref. 210.40.32.20.04.001

Quote Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
    I just don't get it.
    I like their older watches and when I asked the salesmen about the older model he said "it's so expensive to make the watch that Montblanc was loosing money when they sold them"
    Yeah... The watch never made them money and they just made it to give people a great deal.

I walked out of the story and NEVER looked at the brand again.
    I think that was the salesman's way of trying (and failing) to say that Montblanc has consciously moved "downstream" in pricing. You'll notice that everything about the new TimeWalkers looks to be a cheaper version of the original TimeWalker style. The shapes of the watches, from less angular curves, to more standard case profiles (and the lack of skeletonized lugs) means cheaper to produce, and thus, cheaper MSRP to appeal to a bigger audience.

Montblanc even came out with a cheaper in-house movement. People that follow Montblanc watches will realize that they already had an in-house base chronograph movement that they were using in their TimeWalker Flyback. Instead, the TimeWalker now has a Val Fleurier (shared Richemont movement manufacturer, think along the lines of how Swatch Group owns Val Joux) chronograph movement being marketed as in-house.

What's worse is, because of the lack of grey-market control on inventory (which admittedly Richemont is now serious about combating), old models have greatly dropped in value on the second-hand market. What's more, the new models have the crazy ability to make the older models look dated, while also not looking very appealing in their own right.

I agree with your assessment, don't consider the brand again. I own an older Star Chronograph model that retailed for $4300 that probably goes for $1500 now, and a TimeWalker that retailed for $7,600 that will sell fora 1/3 of that in new condition. That's ridiculous depreciation.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by Independent George View Post
    I listened to a Frederico video filmed in October and he mentioned that a friend of his from his Richemont days said only two Swiss entry and mid-level luxury brands were showing any decent growth, Frederique Constant and Montblanc.

I mentioned in a thread on ABTW and the consensus was disbelief. I have no idea whether Frederico was correct or not, but it isn't too hard for me to believe. Jerome Lambert, the new Richemont CEO, came from Montblanc, and his biggest success was successfully integrating Minerva into the the Le Loche watchmaking base. I was talking to my AD, she said that 1858 (Minerva based) watches do very well. She also said the new TimeWalker pieces do well, in fact if someone comes in looking for TAGs and he can't make up his mind, she will direct them to the Timewalkers, and she said she if the buyer isn't a lurker, he will usually go home with one or the other.

As for FC, not my style, but they do win on price. In fact, I think the best thing about FC is they stand as a critique to Swiss Watch pricing. IWC's cheapest Tourbillon is a simple hand-winding tourbillon for $56 grand. FC makes a perpetual calendar tourbillion for $21 grand.
    Montblanc was posting pretty significant growth between 2014-2016 (not sure about recently). I believe Montblanc was reported on separately by Richemont like Cartier essentially is (Cartier is grouped in with Van Cleef, but a majority of the sales numbers are driven by Cartier) in their earning reports, otherwise it is pretty close to impossible to read into each Richemont-owned brand's annual performance, other than to see which CEO's were being forced out, and which ones were being promoted).

One of Richemont's causes of their recent problems with unsold stock was that they used to focus primarily on sell-in figures (selling to authorized distributors/whole sale networks) rather than sell-out to the end consumer. So Montblanc's growth might have been retailer enthusiasm for the products but not actually translating to end consumers buying the watches (there were quite some design changes during the change between Lutz Bethge to Jerome Lambert as CEO and a bigger focus on leather goods by Lambert than prior).

Reading recent industry news on Richemont's efforts to match supply with demand, it seems to be mostly coming from Johann Rupert (chairman) and the CEO at IWC, moreso than Jerome Lambert, which makes it seem like perhaps Lambert might have been part of the inventory-glut problems. However, he also seems to be a very quiet person so it's possible I'm reading something where there is nothing.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Thread Information