Bought my first Montblanc!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By natesen

Thread: Bought my first Montblanc!

I don’t have in hand yet but I’m too excited not to share. I’ve wanted this guy for a long time but never pulled the trigger til now. I’ll post more photos next week when it arrives but for now enjoy this stock image of my new Twinfly Chronograph (ref 104286).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Bought my first Montblanc!

Congrats! I have one of these and it's a lovely design! Very unique piece. Enjoy it!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    LJ67 likes this.

Awesome acquisition! That's a neat looking bracelet, and the dial has a commanding presence

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on picking up a TwinFly!

As a note of caution, be careful with that bracelet. I don't mean that they are overly delicate or anything. Just that, with all the changes to the Montblanc design DNA of the TimeWalker line, I am not sure how many original bracelets Montblanc has left. I have a TimeWalker on a strap (dual carbon DLC version doesn't come on a bracelet) and I was told I was pretty SOL for replacement leather straps in most designs.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Thanks everyone!! Watch arrived today and I actually like it even more than I had hoped. Although I've wanted one for some time now I had never actually seen this model in person. I have a Montblanc outlet near me and I was fortunate enough to see some other Timewalkers so that I could get a feel for the case size and bracelet, but still, was a little nervous buying it having never seen it. Anyway, it came today and once sized fits very comfortably. Im really impressed (and honestly a little baffled) by the number of complications, ive been a simple diver man for the most part until now. Im also really happy with the bracelet, another aspect I wasn't quite sold on until I sized it and tried it on, although I’ll say half link would be a nice addition. As gyang said, they're not cheap or readily accessible so I'll be sure to take good care of this one (on a side note if anyone does need one they are available at my outlet but certainly not cheap $700). I also plan to experiment with a few leather bands as well.

After many months of searching I was able to find this watch at a jeweler outside of Philadelphia. I liked this particular model as it was not grey market and had a stamped warranty card, albeit not from this jeweler. Nothing wrong with Grey market but for this model it was important for me to have paperwork. The Montblanc outlet near me in South Florida did not have this model and searched all their other stores and came up empty handed as well. So I was pretty happy with my find (Thanks RolexForums!!).

I'll do some searching through the forum but if anyone has any thoughts on setting the time/date I'll be grateful. Fully depressed in 1st position (hope my terminology is correct) you can wind the watch. In the 2nd position is the quick hour set, moving the big hour hand (Local time) forward and backwards in 1-hour increments. In the 3rd position you can move the large Hour/Minute hands (Local time) forward and backward as well as the top dial (the UTC/Home time). However, none of these will positions will move only the UTC/Home time nor will they move only the date. What I did was use the 3rd posision to set the UTC/Home time and then used the 2nd position quick hour set to set my local time. But, my date is wrong and the only way ive found to set it is to spin the hour hand all the way to midnight. Surely theres an easier way of setting the watch.

Anyway, excited to be a part of the Montblanc Sub and im sure ill get this guy figured out sooner or later and have a lot of happy days ahead with it.

Sorry for the poor quality iPhone pic, hopefully get some better ones uploaded later Name:  HWZV1118.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  2.02 MB
    Last edited by LJ67; February 25th, 2019 at 19:17.

Unfortunately, I believe the only way to set the date on this one is to cycle through the GMT hours. Much faster than going through the regular hands, but I do not believe there is a way to quickly set the date. And if there is, I have yet to figure it out after owning it for probably 2 years haha.

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    Unfortunately, I believe the only way to set the date on this one is to cycle through the GMT hours. Much faster than going through the regular hands, but I do not believe there is a way to quickly set the date. And if there is, I have yet to figure it out after owning it for probably 2 years haha.

Wow that’s crazy! Who would have thought? Honestly it maybe quicker to just pull the crown for 2 days and let the world catch up. Thanks for the info though, reassuring to at least know I’m not crazy.

It really doesn't take very long though when you cycle through the GMT hours. I thought it was a pain at first, but I always let this one wind down as I don't wear it that often and it's quick to fly through the GMT hours to set it again. It would take forever if you cycle through using the normal hour and minute hands.

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    It really doesn't take very long though when you cycle through the GMT hours. I thought it was a pain at first, but I always let this one wind down as I don't wear it that often and it's quick to fly through the GMT hours to set it again. It would take forever if you cycle through using the normal hour and minute hands.

Yeah it really wasn’t a big deal. That said, and I could be wrong here as I’m still learning, I cannot cycle through the gmt hand by itself, my GMT moves with the main hour/minute hands or vise-versa. I cycled through the quick hour set to change the date, so 24 crown rotations to move the date ahead 1 day.

So basically to set the watch I first cycle the crown until the GMT is set, then cycle the quick hour until the date is set, then stop on the correct hour.

Again, not a huge deal but I’ll be keeping this guy on the wrist and winder.

Congrats on your purchase! That is a great looking watch with some very interesting complication features such as the center mounted elapsed second hand. The GMT is almost hidden but extremely useful when needed.

Thread Information