The Homage to Nicolas Rieussec might be my favorite...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Olivier Müller
  • 1 Post By Shanghaied

Thread: The Homage to Nicolas Rieussec might be my favorite...

The Homage to Nicolas Rieussec might be my favorite...

I posted this earlier this week in the Public Forum where it was met with general disinterest. So I figured I'd try here...

I was initially on the fence about the design of the newest Rieussec, but it has been growing on me. I just saw the video and damn if this isn't my favorite iteration. The dial might be the cleanest of all the Rieussecs. No kitschy open heart or skeletonization. (No offense to those who love their open hearts...they just lose their luster with me quickly.) The dial texture might be the best dial change MBs made to the Rieussec line since they dropped the cotes de geneve panel and went to the grain d'orge in 2011. This is absolutely THE BEST lume integration of any high lux/high end watch I have seen. That said, it might be debatable if such a watch needs lume, but if it does it gets no better.

I think the Gen II Rieussec stands out from the Rieussec line with its simpler dial and grain d'orge dial, and Rising Hours stands out with its outstanding complication example, but there is a delicacy that this new "Homage to Nicolas Rieussec" has that may just float it to the top of the pack. What do you think?

Enjoy!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Re: The Homage to Nicolas Rieussec might be my favorite...

Hello sir !

Thanks for sharing this here - definitely the right place !

In fact, I agree...and disagree :)

To me, this new Hommage can be fully appreciated only because you have seen & assimilated the previous versions. It's pure, with a clean dial, but appears to be like this only beacuse older dials had more information. In a word, I don't know if we could have the same feeling with the Rieussec Hommage if earlier version had not existed beforehand.

My conclusion : it's almost a different piece. The good deal would be to get both - an old modern (!!) one, and this new Hommage. I think that's what you alos mean by : it stands out from the Rieussec ilne, right ?

Apart from that : in order to be faithful to the original one....why a second timezone hand ? This would stand as my only regret here.

Cheers and thanks for your input !

Olivier
    Journaliste, contributeur associé
    http://twitter.com/O_Muller

gimme the older version please, esp. the one with the black dial

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  DSC00421v2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  274.7 KB

Sure, there you go, ah ah !! With its white dial twin :)
    Roller.959 likes this.
    Journaliste, contributeur associé
    http://twitter.com/O_Muller

Cheers!

Name:  IMG-20120429-00188.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  242.5 KB

While we are on the subject of Nicholas Ruissec, would any fellow Forumer be kind enough as to explain the difference in value between the manual wind and the automatic? I assume the ones with MBR 110 movement are manual. With the introduction of the newest look, it is possible to assume there will be a drop in the prices of older models? To-date I have only seen brand-new models (there is an impressive collection in an AD in Hong Kong Airport) and few pre-owned ones (I am not a fan of eBay or Chron24, simply because I prefer face-to-face deal). This means any purchases would have to be brand-new, and I am trying to stretch my 'dollars'...

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaied View Post
    While we are on the subject of Nicholas Ruissec, would any fellow Forumer be kind enough as to explain the difference in value between the manual wind and the automatic? I assume the ones with MBR 110 movement are manual. With the introduction of the newest look, it is possible to assume there will be a drop in the prices of older models? To-date I have only seen brand-new models (there is an impressive collection in an AD in Hong Kong Airport) and few pre-owned ones (I am not a fan of eBay or Chron24, simply because I prefer face-to-face deal). This means any purchases would have to be brand-new, and I am trying to stretch my 'dollars'...
    All the MB R1XX movements are manual. All the R2XX movements are autos. The manual editions that were made in precious metal were all limited productions depending on the metals. They were well into the $20,000-$40,000 range. There is a stainless manual version (model 104981) that can be found for ~$12,000 on the grey market. I am not as big a fan of that model as it has a lot of skeletonization. The autos can be found anywhere from ~$7,500-$14,000 for stainless and two to three times that amount for precious metal. If you go used, I'd say you'd pay about 75-85% of grey market prices depending on the condition. The lowest MSRP for any Rieussec is ~$10000. History shows no price lowering of previous generations with the introduction of new models. In fact we could start to see quite the opposite as the price of admission keeps rising. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Roller.959; February 7th, 2014 at 23:52.

Thanks for the reply, Roller.959. I like clean looks, so skeletonized versions are out for me, too. Between the white and black versions, I am more attracted to white with blue hands.
    Roller.959 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghaied View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Roller.959. I like clean looks, so skeletonized versions are out for me, too. Between the white and black versions, I am more attracted to white with blue hands.
    Clearly, no argument here.

Thread Information