How many versions of the MB NICOLAS RIEUSSEC are there? - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How many versions of the MB NICOLAS RIEUSSEC are there?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: How many versions of the MB NICOLAS RIEUSSEC are there?

Name:  Unknown-5 copy.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  95.0 KB

Picked up a Model 111012 a couple weeks ago for 65% off MSRP ... The watch is not exactly my style, but as another member noted earlier in the thread, there's nothing else quite like it. While it isn't exactly a practical stopwatch, the dual time function w/quickset main hour hand and day/night indicator is very handy. I'm just starting to give it some wrist time ... most of my watches are sports or field watches, so it's a nice addition to the rotation.

Name:  Unknown-4 copy.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  27.0 KB

The build quality, fit, finish, timekeeping, power reserve are all A+. The mono-pusher is the smoothest and most precise "click" I've ever had on a chronograph. I'm not in love with the nipple-shaped crown -- it doesn't offer much grip -- and the printing on the date wheel is quite a bit darker than the printing on the dial, but I'm just getting nit-picky. For a pen company, they make a pretty good watch.
    LDoc and Kilograph like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post
    The build quality, fit, finish, timekeeping, power reserve are all A+. The mono-pusher is the smoothest and most precise "click" I've ever had on a chronograph. I'm not in love with the nipple-shaped crown -- it doesn't offer much grip -- and the printing on the date wheel is quite a bit darker than the printing on the dial, but I'm just getting nit-picky. For a pen company, they make a pretty good watch.
    A few months late to this thread but I've been looking at Rieussec models for about a year now and lately mulling over the idea of selling off a Seamaster to get one - specifically your model, the 111012.

Are you still enjoying the watch or now that its been awhile, have you found it getting less and less wrist time?
    And speaking of wrists, does it sit well on yours? I know it's a bit chunky but I've got a 44mm Panerai that wears well - its definitely the max though.

One hesitation I've had is, should I ever want to flip it for something else, it would be difficult.
    Do you have any regrets with it or is it as nice as all the photos lead me to believe?
    Amateur warch junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilograph View Post
    A few months late to this thread but I've been looking at Rieussec models for about a year now and lately mulling over the idea of selling off a Seamaster to get one - specifically your model, the 111012.

Are you still enjoying the watch or now that its been awhile, have you found it getting less and less wrist time?
    And speaking of wrists, does it sit well on yours? I know it's a bit chunky but I've got a 44mm Panerai that wears well - its definitely the max though.

One hesitation I've had is, should I ever want to flip it for something else, it would be difficult.
    Do you have any regrets with it or is it as nice as all the photos lead me to believe?
    I'm so happy to have a chance to discuss this wonderful watch.

1 - Not much wrist time so far, but mainly because it's been a hot and humid summer, and I haven't had a chance to research a bracelet option for it. The OEM alligator strap & deployant are very nice, btw.

2 - it's a chunk, for sure, but it wears significantly smaller and more compactly than my Radiomir, which was 45mm x 49mm and 1.5mm thinner than the MB. If your 44mm PAM is a good fit, you should be happy with how this fits. It wears comfortably on my 7-inch wrist, and not at all top-heavy. And despite the 14.8mm thickness, the caseback and bezel both curve inward, so the profile is slightly more svelte than you'd expect. However, the 51mm L2L is right at my limit ... (see picture below).

3 - I knew going in that resale on MB is not good. I also realize that MB isn't a widely appreciated brand on WUS, but ... you gotta wear the watch that you like, and I like this watch. I might feel differently if I ever do sell, but right now I feel like I got an extremely good deal on a very beautiful, well-made, and unusual watch.

4 - No regrets at all. I had handled NR models several times at the AD, and my brother-in-law has one, so I had a pretty good idea of the fit & finish. This particular model w/the fixed chronograph pointer and simpler white dial closed the deal for me. My estimation since then has only risen. It winds and sets as precisely as any watch I've ever handled, the embedded lume blazes, and there's actually an interesting movement behind the display back. Despite everything packed onto this dial, it's doesn't seem cluttered at all. It is legible. IMO, it's a beautiful piece of sweet horological candy, and pictures/video don't do it justice.

5 - But no watch is perfect. Refer back to my original comments about the date wheel and the crown ... the date bugs me slightly less because it is very legible, while the crown bugs me more ... What's the point of a quickset main hour hand if it's not easy to set?

I've never owned anything quite like this watch -- everything up to now have been sports watches. I haven't figured out how exactly this fits into my rotation, but I'm definitely still in the honeymoon period and willing to figure it out. I love it.

Hope this was useful to you!

Name:  MB-NR-WRUW-052219-11.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  80.5 KB

So this is the best picture I could find that shows the L2L size on my unfortunate 7-inch flat knobby wrist. I think the diameter and thickness are fine, but the 51mm L2L is just shy of being too big.
    Kilograph likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is a great write-up, thanks!
    The thickness doesn't bother me so much but those lugs.
    They have quite a reach, don't they.

Your opinion on the crown is noted and I can imagine it being a little slippery or hard to grip.
    I don't think that sort of thing would put me off too much, especially since I only switch watches once a week.
    I put up with the Speedmaster's recessed crown and I have to wind that 7 days straight.

I think what attracts me most is not just the dial design and movement but its got a very nice, classy look without being a full dress watch.
    Most of my collection is sports too, so I'd like to get a little variety in that regard and I don't really like dress watches.

Which is another point for the MB replacing the Seamaster.
    I've already got the Speedy so the Seamaster is sort of redundant - not really but that's how I'm choosing to look at it. :)
    Well, that and the MB just speaks to me in a way that Seamaster doesn't.
    That's not to disparage the Seamaster, really. Its an incredible watch but its the one I always think to sell first whenever I spot something new and shiny.

One final question - can you really leave the chrono running indefinitely?
    When I heard that it's possible with this movement, it completely erased my concern for a missing seconds hand.
    I have my doubts but I believe the source of the info to be reputable so I want to believe it.

Excellent watch and much thanks for the insight.
    I might seal the deal soon!
    Vioviv likes this.
    Amateur warch junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilograph View Post

One final question - can you really leave the chrono running indefinitely?
    When I heard that it's possible with this movement, it completely erased my concern for a missing seconds hand.
    I have my doubts but I believe the source of the info to be reputable so I want to believe it.

Excellent watch and much thanks for the insight.
    I might seal the deal soon!
    Re: the chronograph, yes, I usually keep in running in lieu of an active seconds, as I feel the same way about having a seconds hand. It's a nice subtle motion on the dial, adding one more charming quirk to this watch.
    I'm glad I could help, and glad to hear you're going to get one!
    Cheers,
    V

Gonna confess ... it felt weird to have praised the watch on this thread and then a week later decide to part ways with it. Since my last post, I've been kind of obsessed with the "why," and "when," and "where" this watch fits into my rotation. Perhaps it would be worn at the occasional fancy dress function, but I live in Southern California, and our concept of "dressy" is pretty casual. I wear black tie maybe 5 times a year, almost always for work-related functions, but do I want to wear this next to a cufflink under a tight cuff? Besides, I tend to wear my sentimental favorite on those occasions, my dad's 1958 OP 6532, which is a more appropriate size for a dress watch at 34mm.

It's a versatile multifunction watch, but am I going to travel with it? I'll be honest: that was part of my justification when I made the purchase -- I love the GMT-style 12-hour dual time! But in reality? My work travel is almost always to outdoor industrial job sites, so no, as much as I like to think I'd strap this on with a pair of jeans and boots, I ain't ever gonna do it.

As a daily wear to the office? Again, just too much watch on my modest wrist. My rotation is dominated by vanilla sport watches that are more appropriate to my day-to-day existence ... Explorer, Speedmaster, Weiss field watch, my Alpinist, etc. Do I wish I could wear something a little less dull? Sure. I recently bought a Monaco for this very reason ... but ... I'm getting rid of it too. I'm just happier with simpler watches, I guess. I wish I could pull it off, but I can't. I'll continue to search for the right GMT or dual timer, because that has great practical use, but I've realized now that this NR -- as much as I love it -- isn't going to fill that role.

As a contrarian, I've enjoyed my love affair with MB. I think WUS's ambivalence toward MB is kind of shocking given what this brand has done in a short period of time. One of my first modern Swiss watches was a Timewalker Twinfly, and while it's a remarkable watch with one of MB's most amazing in-house chrono movements, it just never got wrist time. Too big, a bit too blingy. I bought a Heritage Chronometrie Dual Time recently, but my spouse claimed it, and honestly it is more her style than mine.

It's possible that buying the NR was my first and last foray into haute horologie. While I'm never going to buy a PP or ALS or JLC, I sure enjoy going to the AD to try them on, and I can honestly say that I think they don't have much on the NR except for name brand. I have no regrets about this purchase ... While many WUS members would scoff at $11.5k MSRP for a MB, I sincerely believe the watch merits it, especially compared to some recent watches I've tried on at ADs. While it's apples and oranges to compare a GMT Master II or a Panerai, I do think the NR compares quite nicely with several GP, UN, and PP watches I've tried on. I had a brief obsession with the Omega De Ville Chronoscope Rattrapante, which has a similar MSRP ($12.8k), and again, I think the NR stands up in every regard in that same price range.

So ... while it is gorgeous and unique and beautiful, I'm not going to wear it enough to justify keeping it.

Plus ... there's the Geosphere out there ... that was probably the better choice for me from the beginning, but I could never find it in stock anywhere. It's a watch that I've been obsessed with since I saw it on the cover of Watch Time Magazine. I'm always gonna be a fan of Montblanc, and I'm always gonna feel bad for the WIS who don't know what they're missing.

Anyway, sorry for the novella, I'll get over myself, but it just felt weird to have written my glowing review so recently without confessing where I ended up with it.

Here's my last picture of it just for the hell of it ...

Name:  MB-111012-100819-018.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  84.6 KB
    Sergei T. and LDoc like this.

Good luck with the sale. I think this is a great watch.
    Vioviv likes this.

its super thick. huge chunk of metal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information