Looking for First Montblanc

Thread: Looking for First Montblanc

Looking for First Montblanc

I'm looking for my first Montblanc. I'm looking for either 111090 or 111912.
    On Jomashop, they are both not available.

Any AD you'd recommend? I live in Massachusetts.
    Thanks, all.

Re: Looking for First Montblanc

For what it's worth, I briefly considered Montblanc myself earlier this year, but decided they really are not much of a watch, at least not at this price level.

Ever notice the rather large/wide nameplate ring surrounding the exhibition case-back. Seemed like an odd choice to me so when I researched the movements I found they are there to conceal that the movements are rather small in contrast to the case.

For the two models you references, the movements are actually just 25.6 mm in diameter, but the cases are 39 and 40 mm. So, that massive name-plate ring is there to cover up a whole lot of empty air.

This was exactly the case with the models I had also considered and it made me look closer to then realize the dials have no applied markers or embellishments, only painted/printed numerals, which again feels pretty cheap for a couple of grand.

To me, this brand is selling $500 watches for 3x the price (even at Jomashop discounts) trading on the name alone.

Might not be what you wanted to hear, and might not even matter to you, but having researched similar models earlier this year I figured I should point that out.
    Concord ~ Corum ~ Ebel ~ Ginault ~ Maurice Lacroix ~ Omega ~ Rolex ~ Seiko ~ Tudor

Field Marshall 15,000 of Sticky Thread OoO

I'm just starting into the watch world myself. It's exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I am a huge watch wearer and have been wearing a watch my whole life, but I've only worn quartz watches. Recently, I've been looking into purchasing my first automatic watch.

I've looked into Montblanc, Hamiliton, and Omega, but Omega seems a bit too high for a first watch to jump into. Out of curiosity, what did you end up purchasing instead of Montblanc?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by prixxy View Post
    I've looked into Montblanc, Hamiliton, and Omega, but Omega seems a bit too high for a first watch to jump into. Out of curiosity, what did you end up purchasing instead of Montblanc?
    I made two purchases....

Omega Aqua Terra 231.13.39.21.02.002 38.5 mm used (barely) for $2,200 on a leather strap, which is just an amazing watch all the way around.

and

Ball Fireman Racer Classic 42mm all SS Nm2288c-Sj-Sl for $1,250 new which is closer to the Montblanc but frankly a much better watch.

Search on the specific model numbers and you can see what these watches are, specs and pics.

Note, I wouldn't buy an Omega new, personally, as they loose too much value right out of the door. Jomashop lists the one above for $3,800 and while you might not be able to get as good a deal as I did (it was a really good deal, all box/papers and under 1 year old, barely worn) you can definitely get one for $2,500 to $2,800 if you're patient.

The Ball was also a really good deal, but even if you have to pay $1,500 for it, it's still a better watch.

That said, there's no shortage of watches in your price range where you're going to get more value for your money... those are just the two that really appeal to my style and sensibilities.

Name:  231.13.39.21.02.002.png
Views: 105
Size:  198.4 KB
    Name:  Ball NM2288C-SJ-SL_md.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  30.6 KB
    Concord ~ Corum ~ Ebel ~ Ginault ~ Maurice Lacroix ~ Omega ~ Rolex ~ Seiko ~ Tudor

Field Marshall 15,000 of Sticky Thread OoO

This got a good review on some watch forums and member dantan has a Heritage Chronometer he likes.
    This has applied indices and a blued second hand something you need to see in person..Name:  198733-ecom-retina-01.png.adapt.500.500.png
Views: 104
Size:  134.3 KB
    Last edited by oztech; July 29th, 2017 at 02:34.

Thread Information