WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Montblanc Calendar Vasco Da Gamma edition or JLC Master Calendar

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SEARZ 
#1 ·
This has been posted in both the JLC forum and the Montblanc forum.

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate your opinion about a couple of watches.

I have been considering the JLC Master Calendar for a few months now. I know the market is soft at the moment so it might be a good opportunity to purchase one now because I may be able to negotiate a good discount, and be able to buy a watch that would otherwise be prohibitively expensive for me. My job takes me overseas quite a bit, so I would also get the VAT refunded. But I recently became aware of the Montblanc Full Calendar, Vasco Da Gama Edition. It is also gorgeous, and a lot cheaper. Now, I know that many people feel there is no comparison between the brands. But I own watches representing different price points, so I don't really care about this, or at least I try not to fall victim to the psychological effect the more expensive watch has over the cheaper watch.

I've seen both in the flesh, but not side by side. I prefer JLC's 39mm size vs. Montblanc's 40mm, because I think it better suits a classical style watch. But I think I like the Montblanc's hands (slightly) over the JLC's. And the blue circle at the bottom representing the southern hemisphere, and also where the moon phase is located is beautiful. It really pops out. But it lacks a small second hand, which the JLC has.

After seeing both, within half an hour of each other, I think I prefer the JLC. But that also could be because I saw the Montblanc first, the JLC last. So seeing it last perhaps left a more lasting impression.

I would really appreciate your opinion. I'm on a tight budget, and it took me a long time to have the collection I have now, so it's very tempting to get the Montblanc. But I do know that settling for what is perceived to be second best (whether it actually is or not) can be regretted later on.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Wood

photos respectfully borrowed from WUS and the internet

See less See more
#2 ·
I've always fancied JLC but I'm definitely not a fan of the triangular indexes. However I prefer the date hand on the JLC instead of the half square shaped of the Mont Blanc. The missing seconds hand does not bother me as the beautiful moonphase has replaced it. For me personally, I'm not bothered by brands as much and thus would go whichever I like more. If you are very concerned about the brand image, then you'd definitely be better of getting the JLC in my opinion

#3 ·
The JLC has more brand cache and the Montblanc is a newcomer, relatively speaking. Many people think of it as a copycat brand given their CEO came from JLC. Nonetheless their designs are well executed in my opinion and they give you great value for what you get. Choose whichever one suits your fancy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I actually went to try on the Mont Blanc Calendar Vasco da Gamma and I have to say I actually prefer their normal Calendar one. While the "night sky" of moonphase on the Vasco da Gamma looks great in photos, in person it looks tacked on? It doesn't look part of the watch dial and as if the watch engineers had this idea and added it as an afterthought.

However after trying on the normal Mont Blanc Calendar, I have to say the calendar hand doesn't bother me as much as they do on photos. I actually like it :D

#5 ·
I have a feeling that your first MontBlanc watch purchase might not be far off!

I actually went to try on the Mont Blanc Calendar Vasco da Gamma and I have to say I actually prefer their normal Calendar one. While the "night sky" of moonphase on the Vasco da Gamma looks great in photos, in person it looks tacked on? It doesn't look part of the watch dial and as if the watch engineers had this idea and added it as an afterthought.

However after trying on the normal Mont Blanc Calendar, I have to say the calendar hand doesn't bother me as much as they do on photos. I actually like it :D

#11 ·
Some thoughts. My biases, I don't own either Montblanc or JLC, but I do hope to own a JLC one day. That said.

* First and foremost, buy the watch because you love it.
* These are very similar in style, but to me (and again, I love JLC), the JLC doesn't give you anything "special". It's a straightforward triple date.
* If the discount is still available, the Montblanc is a really good deal. You could always look for a JLC later.
* What matters to you about watches? If pedigree and history count, then JLC has it. If you care about an in-house movement, again JLC (I believe the Montblanc uses a modified Sellitta movement). If those considerations are lower on your "important to me" list than, say, appearance and price, then the Montblanc wins.

If I were trying to make this decision, and this was the style of watch I'd set my heart on, I'd find it difficult to justify the JLC due to the very hefty price premium. I'd probably take advantage of the sale price on the Montblanc and look to save up for a pre-owned JLC Reverso, which is iconic. Again, nothing against the JLC Master Calendar - it's beautiful - but if you don't have dollars to simply thrown around then you have to ask yourself if you'll regret spending that much more on the JLC in 12 months. And the decoration on the Montblanc around the moon phase is quite eye catching.

Reactions: Sevenmack
#13 ·
I love what Montblanc is doing, but no seconds to me is a deal breaker... Always wanted a JLC dress watch too, but dagger indices look a little sinister to me. Tough call. One note - One is a beautiful watch that will depreciate. One is an heirloom that will somewhat hold it's value.

I've made enough $2,000-$3,000 watch mistakes to know to save for what you really want... $5,000 gets you into some pretty serious territory. Sounds like you should keep some powder dry. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.