Montblanc deployant clasp: single-fold vs butterfly
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Montblanc deployant clasp: single-fold vs butterfly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I recently picked up an 1858 Small Seconds Limited Edition, and now thinking of adding a deployant to the strap. I was shown two choices at the MB Boutique: single-fold (first two photos) and a butterfly (last photo).

Has anyone had any experience with the MB deployants? Any opinions on which one works better, is more comfortable etc?

I have both types of deployants on my other (non-MB) watches and generally prefer the single-fold type, but couldn't tell you exactly why.

Currently leaning towards the MB single-fold because the buckle seems to be slightly more streamlined.

Single-fold...
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1090
Size:  66.2 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1009
Size:  44.2 KB

Butterfly...
Views: 975
Size:  16.6 KB
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

No experience, but the single-fold looks neater to me.

The standard Alligator Strap feels rigid to put on, adjust, and remove, but after wearing it a number of times, it does soften a little.

It is comfortable, even though it is rigid.

Re: Montblanc deployant clasp: single-fold vs butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    No experience, but the single-fold looks neater to me.

The standard Alligator Strap feels rigid to put on, adjust, and remove, but after wearing it a number of times, it does soften a little.

It is comfortable, even though it is rigid.
    Agree. I don't have anything against the strap, but I've always had a soft spot for a good deployant. And the MB ones look really nice, especially the single-fold.

The strap is so new that it's still sitting straight down from the lugs across my wrist. Need to get a good curve in it.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go for the single-fold, but still curious to hear anyone else's opinion on wearability etc. I saw a forum post somewhere else where a MB watch fell off a guy's wrist while he was walking because the deployant pin popped out of it's strap hole (he was using the MB single-fold deployant). His watch was pretty scratched up after it hit the concrete.
    Last edited by piningforthefjords; June 8th, 2016 at 16:35.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know exactly what you mean, when you say that the Strap needs a good curve!

Ive owned two MBs and still do one. Its a butterfly and it isnt comfortable to me which is why the thing is semiperma plasted to the winder. Probably will sell soon.

I have not had one with the single but the butterfly is so uncomfortable i would choose the other by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crate410; June 9th, 2016 at 06:01.
    piningforthefjords likes this.
    Watch List:

Mont Blanc Star XXL Automatic (Ref. 101644)
    Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 RS (Ref. CAV511A.BA0902)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich (Ref. 3573.50)
    Rolex Submariner (Ref. 114060)
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Ref. CV01AJ.BA0727)
    Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm
    Mont Blanc Star 4810 Automatic (Ref. 102340)
    Rolex Datejust II (Ref. 116300)

Quote Originally Posted by Crate410 View Post
    Ive owned two MBs and still do one. Its a butterfly and it isnt comfortable to me which is why the thing is semiperma plasted to the winder. Probably will sell soon.

I have not had one with the single but the butterfly is so uncomfortable i would choose the other by default.
    Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

The MB boutique didn't have a single watch on display that was on a deployant, which didn't help.

Never had luck with MB's butterflies, single deployant was usually more comfortable. That said, I like tangs!
    piningforthefjords likes this.

Thanks. If I have time I was planning to head into the boutique today and order the single-fold. Have never had a deployant on a leather strap before, so would like to give it try.

So... I picked up the single-fold deployant today. I let the service guys at the boutique install it, which didn't take long (no surprise).

For anyone visiting this thread in the future, here are my thoughts: I wore it all day, was comfortable, seemed secure on my wrist, and felt no different to using the buckle and tang.

The only thing to be aware of is that using a standard strap length with a small-ish wrist (mine is 6.5-6.75") means that there is already very little tail left to fit in the keepers. The deployant eats up some extra strap length, compared to using the normal buckle.

See the images below. I'm using the third to last hole and there's barely enough tail to fit through both keepers, even though they're both bunched together.

EDIT: Anyone with larger wrists using the standard strap may find themselves with very little tail to feed through the keepers. Or may choose to remove the keepers altogether. I have no idea if Montblanc offers larger straps like other companies (eg. Longines).

Views: 949
Size:  1.55 MB
Views: 961
Size:  1.65 MB
Views: 984
Size:  1.96 MB
    Last edited by piningforthefjords; June 10th, 2016 at 19:30. Reason: Correction

Argh too late to give my thoughts before you made your choice, but I was going to tell you to go with the single fold deployant so I'm happy we're on the same page here. It's not an opinion against Montblanc's butterfly deployants, but in general I feel that the single folds are cleaner/more simple in function, and just overall feels more solid because there's less moving parts.

When you were using the tang buckle, was it still the same where very little of the strap was going through the keepers?
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information