Montblanc - Nicolas Rieussec
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By hoiboy

Thread: Montblanc - Nicolas Rieussec

Banned

Montblanc - Nicolas Rieussec

Great watches! Haven't seen much on these forums on these watches, so thought I'd share some photos.

Name:  IMG_20160525_191628.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  1.13 MBName:  IMG_20160525_191644.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  1.05 MBName:  IMG_20160525_191759.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  1.15 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CMSgt Bo; May 27th, 2016 at 18:52. Reason: review our rules please
    Sevenmack, HoroloRobert and KAW like this.

Very nice!

Re: Montblanc - Nicolas Rieussec

The Nicolas Rieussec series is a great line up. I have a Rising Hours which I adore. It's a lot of watch for the money. Unfortunately, it looks like the prices of these watches are taking a pretty big hit. It's a shame......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a great watch especially for someone looking to be a little bold. I have the very first edition and it gets the most comments of all my watches!

Quote Originally Posted by KL670 View Post
    The Nicolas Rieussec series is a great line up. I have a Rising Hours which I adore. It's a lot of watch for the money. Unfortunately, it looks like the prices of these watches are taking a pretty big hit. It's a shame......
    Why are the Nicolas Rieussec watches taking a pretty big hit? Are the prices coming down substantially? I am looking to purchase one.

Quote Originally Posted by YOgun27 View Post
    Why are the Nicolas Rieussec watches taking a pretty big hit? Are the prices coming down substantially? I am looking to purchase one.
    I'm not an economist but I'll take a stab at this. Many brands have pretty terrible resale value due to a lack of demand on the second-hand market and for the fact that brands have vastly inflated the MSRP of their watches brand-new. Only really safe bets are Rolex and Patek (with some other exceptions I suppose). Montblanc sells alot of watches but being newer to the industry, it's still not well-known for watches and so they don't have the leverage to demand retailers from offering steep discounts. An AD told me that they pay just above 50% retail price to manufacturers and the brands that don't move as quickly as Rolex or Omega they'll offer discounts up to 30-35% brand-new easy (I've gotten offers for 25% calling an AD that I don't have any prior relationship with right off the bat when I asked about price). This of course affects the second-hand price. Why would I pay anything more than 30-40% retail on a second-hand watch when I can usually get up to 40% with a bit of haggling on a new one?

Montblanc is slowly moving in the direction of Omega where they are not renewing or ending agreements with ADs as they expand their boutique network and also even buying back boutiques run by franchises so they can better control their retail network and market but it won't be for awhile before we see much of an effect on the second-hand market and the perception of desirability on their pieces. And the timing is terrible as the Swiss watch industry is once again in decline (or at least shrinking) due to a balance of currency issues and the Chinese market shrinking.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by gyang333 View Post
    I'm not an economist but I'll take a stab at this. Many brands have pretty terrible resale value due to a lack of demand on the second-hand market and for the fact that brands have vastly inflated the MSRP of their watches brand-new. Only really safe bets are Rolex and Patek (with some other exceptions I suppose). Montblanc sells alot of watches but being newer to the industry, it's still not well-known for watches and so they don't have the leverage to demand retailers from offering steep discounts. An AD told me that they pay just above 50% retail price to manufacturers and the brands that don't move as quickly as Rolex or Omega they'll offer discounts up to 30-35% brand-new easy (I've gotten offers for 25% calling an AD that I don't have any prior relationship with right off the bat when I asked about price). This of course affects the second-hand price. Why would I pay anything more than 30-40% retail on a second-hand watch when I can usually get up to 40% with a bit of haggling on a new one?

Montblanc is slowly moving in the direction of Omega where they are not renewing or ending agreements with ADs as they expand their boutique network and also even buying back boutiques run by franchises so they can better control their retail network and market but it won't be for awhile before we see much of an effect on the second-hand market and the perception of desirability on their pieces. And the timing is terrible as the Swiss watch industry is once again in decline (or at least shrinking) due to a balance of currency issues and the Chinese market shrinking.
    I agree with this based on what I've read/know of the current situation that's going on in the market. Mont Blanc Australia was offering 30% off all their watches last month and as gyang333 has said, this will certainly affect the resale value of the watches of a reasonably new watch company who might not have a really strong brand awareness amongst the common folk.

Thread Information