Montblanc SIHH 2014
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Montblanc SIHH 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Montblanc SIHH 2014

Hello,

Nice to see a Montblanc subforum here on WUS. Like all of you I've seen the new introductions of Montblanc at the SIHH.
    I think they are quite interesting and good looking especially at the announced price point! I would appreciate your opinions on this:

Isn't the Perpetual Calendar they are introducing a bargain at € 10 000 in steel? (And €17 000 in gold)
    And their Moonphase in steel is about €3 500 or so I've heard...
    The Monopusher on the other hand is pretty steeply priced. Why is this? Because of the Minerva movement which I guess is more elaborated

So are the movements of the Perpetual and Moonphase in house and if so, why is their pricing this way? Are they trying to win some market share or is the price justified for what they are offering?

Btw, I can see the resemblance with the JLC Perpetual and Moonphase but that isn't a coincidence since I've heard that the new CEO is the former CEO of JLC.

Cheers!
    - We are all but small cogs in the great machine that is life -

Re: Montblanc SIHH 2014

Quote Originally Posted by NielsZ View Post
    Hello,
    The Monopusher on the other hand is pretty steeply priced. Why is this? Because of the Minerva movement which I guess is more elaborated
    It's not that it's more elaborately finished or specially constructed but that it's pretty much entirely built by hand. For real by hand, too, not what some companies call by hand. I'm very impressed by Minerva's craftsmanship and the open bridgework of this Calibre 13-21, but the finished product isn't actually up to the level of fanciness you see in certain other manufacturers.

That said, the movement is an outstanding piece of history! Minerva's Calibre 13 dates all the way back to 1923 (!) and has a long and illustrious history.

And I guess it's time to start getting used to more-expensive Montblanc watches. Minerva is now their "in-house" movement manufacturer, and the fact that this movement (and the press release) specifically says "Minerva Villeret" it looks like they plan to make this a "thing" in the future. I imagine we'll see lots more Minerva-based movements in future Montblancs, and I doubt they'll reduce the price.

Hello folks,

100% agreed with Mister S just above :) Minerva calibers are one step ahead in terms of finishing and R&D - and reliability as our friend said - see, it's coming from 1923 and still works fine :)

"And I guess it's time to start getting used to more-expensive Montblanc watches"

Yes...and no :) Lambert said he will clearly go both ways : entry level (see the access pieces of the new Meisterstuck Heritage collection, the 3-hands, the 10k QP and the Moonphase) and, at the same time, high level timepieces - see the 1/100th new Minerva chrono.

To answer your question : yes, QP and moonphase are good opportunities, indeed. But both pieces rely on external movements, mainly Dubois Depraz modules.

To sum up, in the brand new Meisterstuck Heritage collection, as follows :

Meisterstück Heritage Automatic Date : 2 sizes, 39 or 41 mm, respectively at 1990 and 2090 euros. External caliber.

Name:  MB_Meisterstück Heritage Automatic Date_111580_front.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  201.8 KB

(note : two entry level models, without second hands or date, are even proposed - should be around 1k - external caliber of course).

Meisterstück Heritage Moonphase : 5 versions, 1 in gold (39 mm) and 4 in steel (2 in 41 mm, 2 in 39 mm). Small steel at 3490 euros, big 41 steel at 3590 euros. All : external movement.

Name:  MB_Meisterstück Heritage Moonphase_110699_mood_white.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  273.6 KB

Meisterstück Heritage Perpetual Calendar : one single size (39 mm), gold or steel (16 900 euros / 10 000 euros).

Name:  MB_Meisterstück Heritage Perpetual Calendar_110714_detail.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  272.4 KB

On top of all : Meisterstück Heritage Pulsograph - the only only one with a Minerva movement. Limited edition, 90 pieces, red gold only - 27 000 euros.

Name:  MB_Meisterstück Heritage Pulsograph_111626_mood_white.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  241.7 KB

Hope this helps ?

Any time,

Olivier
    Journaliste, contributeur associé
    http://twitter.com/O_Muller

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh, and here is the caliber we're talking about, the Minerva 13.21

Name:  Montblanc_Calibre MB M13.21.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  180.3 KB

Happy to help !

Olivier

That Minerva sure is a beautiful calibre! But it makes sense to me now, I didn't know that the Perpetual and Moonphase were using Dubois modules, ofcourse at this price point it's to be expected. I hope they look good through the saphire back because I haven't seen any press photos of it. And even though it's an external movement, it's still a bargain for a Perpetual Calendar ;) Thanks for the info!
    - We are all but small cogs in the great machine that is life -

Does anyone know who makes the external calibers? I'm considering the both the automatic date moonphase but want to know what I'd be getting "under the hood." I have the same hesitation about the IWC Portofino (SW300)...
    Daily wearer: Squale 50 Atmos. I have owned: Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim, Bremont Supermarine, IWC 818-AD, IWC Ingenieur Automatic, IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection, IWC Mark XVI, IWC Pilot's Chrono, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, Laco Aachen, Mühle Glashütte M12, NOMOS Glashütte Orion Weiss, Omega Seamaster Sword Hands 2254.50 (x2), Omega Speedmaster Pro (x2), Orient Excursionist, Precista PRS-18A, Rolex Oyster Speedking, Schofield Signalman DLC GMT PR, Seiko SKX007K2, Sinn 756, Squale 50 Atmos (x2), Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, Tudor Black Bay Noir, Tudor Oyster-Prince ("Big Rose"), Zenith Captain Central Seconds

The brand uses both ETA and Sellita, depending on the model you consider. For the Annual Calendar unveiled at this SIHH, it's an ETA, for instance, with a DD module.

In any case, ETA or Sellita, they are just clones of each others.

Some said the service on an ETA was easier than on a Sellita, but I'm not sure it's based on anything concrete and / or reliable.

Hope this helps ?

Thanks for your response. I figured as much, but I was hoping to know whether it was a 2824/SW200 or 2892/SW300 and whether it was ebauche/top/chronometer-grade. Unfortunately, the salespeople at the boutique aren't super well versed in the movements, and these are new anyway...Regardless of the movement, I can say the new line is quite beautiful and I look forward to seeing it in the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier Müller View Post
    The brand uses both ETA and Sellita, depending on the model you consider. For the Annual Calendar unveiled at this SIHH, it's an ETA, for instance, with a DD module.

In any case, ETA or Sellita, they are just clones of each others.

Some said the service on an ETA was easier than on a Sellita, but I'm not sure it's based on anything concrete and / or reliable.

Hope this helps ?
    Daily wearer: Squale 50 Atmos. I have owned: Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim, Bremont Supermarine, IWC 818-AD, IWC Ingenieur Automatic, IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection, IWC Mark XVI, IWC Pilot's Chrono, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, Laco Aachen, Mühle Glashütte M12, NOMOS Glashütte Orion Weiss, Omega Seamaster Sword Hands 2254.50 (x2), Omega Speedmaster Pro (x2), Orient Excursionist, Precista PRS-18A, Rolex Oyster Speedking, Schofield Signalman DLC GMT PR, Seiko SKX007K2, Sinn 756, Squale 50 Atmos (x2), Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, Tudor Black Bay Noir, Tudor Oyster-Prince ("Big Rose"), Zenith Captain Central Seconds

No pb, sir, I just sent the question to my local MB contacts. I'm afraid you'll have to wait till Monday to get your answser about this specific caliber, but you'll have it !

Happy to help
    box handler likes this.

Merci pour ton aide!

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier Müller View Post
    No pb, sir, I just sent the question to my local MB contacts. I'm afraid you'll have to wait till Monday to get your answser about this specific caliber, but you'll have it !

Happy to help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information