Montblanc Star Classique Rant
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Montblanc Star Classique Rant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Montblanc Star Classique Rant

Hello all

I'm writing this, I suppose partly to vent, and partly to try to find some answers.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to handle this watch at an AD, the Star Classique automatic, Steel/Rose gold version.
    Name:  Hero_7612582260470.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  25.5 KB

Absolutely gorgeous design. I loved the smooth bezel and thin case, guilloche small seconds with the Montblanc logo. The logo on the crown I also thought was a great touch. Everything in the watch works beautifully... even the date function. "Date function??" Exactly. Rant begins.

I pulled the crown all the way out and started to adjust the time (I love doing that ^_^). As I passed the midnight mark, I felt and heard an unexpected click. I thought it was my imagination, so I skipped ahead another 24 hours and there it was again... the unmistakable click of a date wheel day change.
    I pushed the crown all the way in, and this time I pulled the crown a bit more carefully, to see if there were actually two positions, and sure enough, there it was. I missed it on the first time, this watch had a position to adjust the date. Turning the crown, I could definitely feel the clicks of a date wheel turning.

I don't quite know how I feel about this. I used to love some of Montblanc's watches (Star Quantieme Complet and a few of their newer moonphases), but after this experience, I just don't know what to make of this brand.
    This is a 5300 USD watch. Such carelessness, to put a movement with a functional date wheel inside a watch with no date function, at this price... I find it offensive, for lack of a better term.

Any thoughts? Is it normal for a brand to do this?

I'd like to end my rant with the salesman's response, when I asked him about the date in a non-date watch. I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, I promise I'm quoting him verbatim: "Well, what did you expect? It's Montblanc, they make pens and wallets. You can't expect them to make good watches".

David
    Last edited by Dethdraw; May 5th, 2014 at 17:29. Reason: Fixed the image that stopped working
    Kid_A likes this.

Re: Montblanc Star Classique Rant

I like this model too and tried it on several times, but never noticed the date function was there. I understand your point but for me it's not a big deal as long as it makes the watch look nice. However, Montnlanc should notice customers that they should pull the crown to third position to avoid damaging the movement.

Personally, I hope some brand would do like this - make no date window as an option - for the models that have date window at weird position. Christopher Ward is an example; I really like their CW60 but can't pull the trigger because of the date window. I don't mind if they forget to put the hole there and send it to me LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by yamijaya View Post
    I like this model too and tried it on several times, but never noticed the date function was there. I understand your point but for me it's not a big deal as long as it makes the watch look nice. However, Montnlanc should notice customers that they should pull the crown to third position to avoid damaging the movement.

Personally, I hope some brand would do like this - make no date window as an option - for the models that have date window at weird position. Christopher Ward is an example; I really like their CW60 but can't pull the trigger because of the date window. I don't mind if they forget to put the hole there and send it to me LOL.
    I fixed the image link because it stopped working, I hope that clears up any confusion.

I'm not complaining about date windows in general, some watches have them, some don't. My problem on this watch is this: It has inside a movement with a date function, when clearly this is not a watch with a date window... why would anybody do that? Does anyone besides me find that just plain mediocre, especially on a watch of this asking price?

That's my point, I'm trying to wrap my head around that.

David

PS: I *completely* understand your complaint about the CW60. I myself am looking at the CW61... but I dunno, that date window at the 4 o'clock position just doesn't feel right.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was about to buy the Star Classique, and I read that there was a date wheel inside, and a position of the crown to "set the date" despite there not being a date window. I think this was an unfortunate corner-cutting step they took. I ultimately bought the Star Chronograph instead. They easily could take the date wheel off at the very least it would trim off 1mm or so from the height of the watch, which is never a bad thing.

In the end, it didn't bother me enough to be a deal breaker (I just got an extremely good deal on the Star Chronograph from private seller) but it would be an annoyance I'm sure had I gone with the purchase.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

I just want to say, Mont Blanc now make some outstanding watches.
    Not with ETA movements but their own outstanding calibers and designs.
    Since 6 years especially after their purchase of Minerva they are the 'Haute Horlogerie'.
    http://en.worldtempus.com/article/in...modern-vintage

The salesman is a fool. Gucci only makes leather too?
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I just want to say, Mont Blanc now make some outstanding watches.
    Not with ETA movements but their own outstanding calibers and designs.
    Since 6 years especially after their purchase of Minerva they are the 'Haute Horlogerie'.
    Montblanc - Modern Vintage | Industry News | WorldTempus

The salesman is a fool. Gucci only makes leather too?
    I agree that they make outstanding watches. The Montblanc Metamorphosis is as 'Haute Horlogerie' as it gets, really very impressive stuff.

That's why the Star Classique bothers me so much. How can such a corner-cutting watch co-exist in the same catalog?

David

The co-existence of these two watches is proper to a brand with a wide range of products - such as Patek Philippe with a Grande Complication and a Twenty-4, which is the brands' best-seller...in the US. No comment.

However, for your Star, just bring the attention of your AD on it, that's always the first thing to do. Such as Yamijaya, I never noticed such a click at midnight. Will pay attention the next time and keep you posted.

Olivier
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Journaliste, contributeur associé
    http://twitter.com/O_Muller

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier Müller View Post
    The co-existence of these two watches is proper to a brand with a wide range of products - such as Patek Philippe with a Grande Complication and a Twenty-4, which is the brands' best-seller...in the US. No comment.
    That's actually an excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier Müller View Post
    I never noticed such a click at midnight. Will pay attention the next time and keep you posted.

Olivier
    Will look forward to it, thanks!

David

Hello David,

I went to a major MB AD (Paris), ask the question, checked by myself : what you describe is absolutely correct and known by some MB staff.

It's absolutely amazing.

Let me dig into this more....deeper. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Olivier
    gyang333 likes this.

Hi David,

I went to ask Montblanc's HQ about your story today.

In a nutshell, Montblanc is aware of the problem and has rectified it as from this year. The caliber now used is the 28.95-2, with no date function.

Hope this helps ?

Any time,

Olivier
    HOROLOGIST007 and gyang333 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information