Montblanc Star Quantieme vs. Omega Aqua Terra
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By adamcb
  • 1 Post By TheOak215

Thread: Montblanc Star Quantieme vs. Omega Aqua Terra

Montblanc Star Quantieme vs. Omega Aqua Terra

I am buying my first serious watch, and am having a huge amount of trouble deciding between these two watches. The price point is similar ($5000-6000 suggested retail), and I'm looking for a watch that can function in both an office and casual environment. A comparison on quality, look, durability, and movement would be very helpful. Are there any watches you would recommend instead of these with a similar look to either? These would be the look of each.

Re: Montblanc Star Quantieme vs. Omega Aqua Terra

6.75 inch wrist, and I know the Montblanc is 42mm. Perhaps big?

Quote Originally Posted by watch-kat View Post
    6.75 inch wrist, and I know the Montblanc is 42mm. Perhaps big?
    These are both very nice. But both offer different complications. Monteblanc has the moon phase day date vs the simple date function of the AT I LOVE the simplicity of AT. BEAUTIFUL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First I have to say they are both amazing, but totally different in style, the Montblanc is an all dress watch, it's not casual and unless you're going to work very elegantly, you couldn't wear it on a daily use (in my opinion). On the other hand, the AT has a dressy and sporty looks which could be used daily and for dressy events.

Taking into consideration the wrist size, could be a bit big, I suggest going to AD's, trying both of them on, and getting a better feeling WITH taking what I said above into consideration - what will the watch use for? daily use? only dressy events?

Don't forget to upload pics when you pick one!

If you're thinking about keeping the watch for a very long time, it's a harder comparison (and I will come back to that). If you're thinking about perhaps selling it within a few years, Omega is going to hold its value a lot longer. MB is making strides here, but resale isn't quite there.

I have to admit that the Aqua Terra is absolutely beautiful. And for the price, it should be. Are you pretty sure you want a brand new watch? Because if not, the world of pre-owned watches is pretty vast at $5-6k. Rolex Milgaus, IWC Portuguese and other great watches can be had at that price. (I mention those two as the Milgaus is more like the Omega and the Portuguese is more like the MB you had pictured.)

Grand Seiko also has some great watches that "look" like the AT. Oneway is right about the MB being a pretty dressy watch where the Omega can pull double-duty.

I know I am sounding like I'm trying to talk you out of the MB (here on the MB forum, no less). But if you're looking for a watch that can work with a suit or shorts, the Omega AT is the better of the two. And if you're up for pre-owned (or grey), I'd check out some Rolex, IWC, even the Breitling TransOcean.

Good luck. We all want to see pics of what you go with!

Adam
    Sevenmack likes this.

So I actually own the Montblanc as it was my first nice watch purchase last summer. I too went back and forth with my decision to go with a classic dress watch (Montblanc) or something sportier like an Omega. I went with the Montblanc and have been extremely happy with the watch overall. Couple of things I would like to mention.

1. Don't pay any where near $5K for the watch. I bought mine from an AD for a very good price!!!
    2. As mentioned above - MB doesn't have the resale value I would like. I recently tried to actually sell the watch (since I have ADD with watches) as I wanted to buy a Speedmaster. However, I pulled the watch from Ebay and WUS since I wasn't getting any offers for what I thought were fair for the watch ($2K).

Overall, I think both are great watches and it will really come down to what you think what is going to be the watch you will love for the long haul. The only thing I have learned from my whole watch buying experience is to be patient and take your time.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the watch specifically.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by TheOak182; July 15th, 2015 at 07:26.
    Sevenmack likes this.

A bit late reply to the topic, but might help somebody as future reference.

MB has horrible resale value. They have some very interesting watches and the quality seems to be there, but buy one only if you plan to keep it.

I bought a Montblanc Star petite seconde, with an MSRP of 2k+, brand new from an AD, with all papers etc at a very good price.

When I tried to sell it, the best offer I got was 750 euros. Especially offline, the amounts I got proposed were on the 500 euros level, for a brand new watch bought from AD and with papers.

I agree with Ikorso. The resale value of MB watches is crap. Lower than crap. And thats a shame because they are very nice watches to look at.
    Watch List:

Mont Blanc Star XXL Automatic (Ref. 101644)
    Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 RS (Ref. CAV511A.BA0902)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich (Ref. 3573.50)
    Rolex Submariner (Ref. 114060)
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Ref. CV01AJ.BA0727)
    Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm
    Mont Blanc Star 4810 Automatic (Ref. 102340)
    Rolex Datejust II (Ref. 116300)

Thread Information