New to Montblanc
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Drucifer
  • 1 Post By pumxee

Thread: New to Montblanc

New to Montblanc

HI,
    I found a Montblanc that I like it is a Heritage with GMT and small seconds hand at 6:00 and power reserve at 12:00. Stainless case with a solid gold bezel, 34 jewels automatic for $2,475 (Retail $5,800).

This is from Authentic Watches and it is brand new. Seems like a good price.
    https://www.authenticwatches.com/mon...l#.WlO6QGc1YcM

Curious what others think of this brand. Pros and cons, etc.

thanks in advance,
    Mike

Re: New to Montblanc

I love the brand, but I came at it from collecting vintage fountain pens, before watches. For some, it doesn't have the long horological history they like in brands like Rolex and Patek. My watch collection has a narrow focus, and it includes MB. I love their style, the direction they're going, the connection to Minerva on the high end, and their value.

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
    I love the brand, but I came at it from collecting vintage fountain pens, before watches. For some, it doesn't have the long horological history they like in brands like Rolex and Patek. My watch collection has a narrow focus, and it includes MB. I love their style, the direction they're going, the connection to Minerva on the high end, and their value.
    Do you think the price for the watch in question is a good savings? Does MB us in-house movement or ETA movements.
    thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Quote Originally Posted by mike_787 View Post
    Do you think the price for the watch in question is a good savings? Does MB us in-house movement or ETA movements.
    thanks

Hard to say if it's a "good deal" yet it's certainly discounted. Montblanc list the movement as in-house, I believe it's a MB29.11. On further investigation it seems it's based on a Sellita with an in house MB GMT. I seem to recall they used Villeret / Minerva movements a while back on their more expensive offerings

Now, are you asking if they are going to appreciate in value? I highly doubt that fact.

I have an older Sport Diver, it uses a 2892 ETA and is super accurate when fully charged (0 to +1 spd). Personally I don't need a so called propriety movement, all I want is good accuracy when on my wrist. Paying for a movement I rarely see makes no sense to me on a personal level.

Post a pic or two if you do decide to purchase.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

As fastfras put it in another post, the nice thing about the MontBlanc is the exclusivity of wearing one. They are not a popular choice among watch enthusiasts, yet they are really well engineered and I really like mine. It now gets more wrist time than the several Subs and GMTs I own. Most anyone recognized a sub, but very few have any idea of what the MontBlanc is. Mine seems to be accurate enough.

I bought this off a member here (his pic). Haven’t received it yet, but looking forward to it as my dress watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rreimer91 likes this.

Going to the AD and looking at a Heritage Chrometer and the a JLC MUT it holds its own on all but the decorated works when you flip them over if that maters to you and just as accurate according to fellow members with substantial savings so yeah it is on my list.

I think Montblanc is doing well in the watch industry with unique pieces coming out every year, and its gaining more and more respect from watch enthusiast. If you love it I think you should go for it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My watch collection: Montblanc 4810 Day Date, Tissot Carson Powermatic 80
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jérôme Lambert was the CEO of montblanc until July last year I believe. He was the face behind Jaeger-LeCoultre until he was moved to Montblanc. In my opinon, MB has high wqaulity products and great value for money as long as you don't spend more then 2-3 on their watches.
    rreimer91 likes this.

Mont Blanc i think is doing a wonderful job. A lot of new great pieces have been releasing recently.

Thread Information