New Montblanc fan
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Montblanc fan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Montblanc fan

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and new to watches in general. I own a few pieces of Montblanc itemss such as a couple pens and a wallet. I like the brand and quality of their products. Lately I've been totally preoccupied by the Nicolas Rieussec 106487. I'm looking at it strictly from the aesthetic stand point. I love the looks of it but honestly know absolutely nothing about watches. I didn't not even know what movements were until a few weeks ago let alone what it means to have an in-house movement by Montblanc. I'd like to be educated by all you generous members. By the way, I'm considering purchasing from Jomashop for close to $2000 in savings. Please let me know what your thoughts in general about the watch and advice for a rookie like me. Thanks.

Re: New Montblanc fan

Quote Originally Posted by KL670 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and new to watches in general. I own a few pieces of Montblanc itemss such as a couple pens and a wallet. I like the brand and quality of their products. Lately I've been totally preoccupied by the Nicolas Rieussec 106487. I'm looking at it strictly from the aesthetic stand point. I love the looks of it but honestly know absolutely nothing about watches. I didn't not even know what movements were until a few weeks ago let alone what it means to have an in-house movement by Montblanc. I'd like to be educated by all you generous members. By the way, I'm considering purchasing from Jomashop for close to $2000 in savings. Please let me know what your thoughts in general about the watch and advice for a rookie like me. Thanks.
    Welcome!

I'll skip to the scary stuff... Jomashop will offer only their own warranty. This normally doesn't matter if you're buying a watch with an ETA/Sellita/other generic movement watch that is easy to source parts. But if the Rieussec has a malfunction in the 2 years that it's covered under warranty, I don't think Jomashop will be able to help much. That's a big IF though. All Montblanc in-house movement watches (Rieussec included) will go through a 500 Hours quality test to ensure everything is up to spec so you probably shouldn't need to worry about it. But just something to think about.

If you can find an authorized dealer (a store that can offer Montblanc warranty) for around close to the same price, I would go that route. Watch dealers will negotiate the price quite competitively.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Thanks for the advice! I got a quote from an authorized dealer who could sell it for $7,700 which is $3,000 below msrp. However, compared to jomashop which sells it for $5,900, it's still quite a gap. As far as the warranty, I wonder how much repairs out of pocket could cost given Montblanc wouldn't cover grey market watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just got the chrono and love it. Very cool watch. Very high end for the $$$

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426799752.886023.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  205.7 KB
    Current:
    Patek 5712, Hublot Big Bang, Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Hemispheres, Rolex Sub 114060, Rolex Daytona 116520, Rolex Day Date 18208, Steinhart OOV, Hamilton Intra-matic, Tissot Visodate
    Past:
    ALS 1815 Automatik, Rolex GMT 116713, Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec Chrono, Rolex Sub 114060, IWC Portuguese Chrono (gave to girlfriend, so still in the mix ), VC Malte, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape, Rolex Daytona 16520, Omega Deville Rome Olympics 1960 Chrono, Breitling Trans Ocean, Omega Planet Ocean Chrono, Rolex Datejust Two-tone, Rolex Explorer II 1655, Rolex Yachtmaster II, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Volcano, IWC Portuguese 7-day, Cartier Santos 100, Breitling Airwolf, Panerai PAM 00070

I'm in the market for one too! I like the all white dial. Where did you get it from? Good deal?

You have to weigh up between the savings you get from Joma and the manufacture's warranty, i have bought 3 watches from Joma and all are positive. The 106487 is definitely a breath taking piece.

I totally agree about the beauty of the watch but even at $5900 it's still ALOT of money for a novice like me. That's why I want to make it worthwhile by learning more about the details of the watch.

I have tried on the 106487 and agree that it is a lot of watch for the money. This is still some serious cash to spend on a watch, but considering the in-house manufacture of this watch, this is sensational value.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Got a couple of updates:
    I got an email from Jomashop stating that if warranty issues come up, they have a "state of the art repair facility in house" and "all parts used are manufacturer's parts". I"m pretty sure I need to take it with few huge grains of salt.

I also got another quote for around $6000 from an Italian dealer who seems to be able to reduce 20% from their already discounted price since I'm in the US. They also provide the Montblanc warranty. Has anybody done that, buying from European dealers? Thanks
    Last edited by KL670; March 23rd, 2015 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by KL670 View Post
    Got a couple of updates:
    I got an email from Jomashop stating that if warranty issues come up, they have a "state of the art repair facility in house" and "all parts used are manufacturer's parts". I"m pretty sure I need to take it with few huge grains of salt.

I also got another quote for around $6000 from an Italian dealer who seems to be able to reduce 20% from their already discounted price since I'm in the US. They also provide the Montblanc warranty. Has anybody done that, buying from European dealers? Thanks
    Yes, take jomashop's statement with a huge grain of salt. Assume incompetence in this scenario. In fact, you should just be in the mindset that if your watch does break down during the course of Jomashop's warranty, you'll have to pay Montblanc to service the watch. end of the day what'll probably happen is they mess up your watch, or best case scenario they use some non-OEM parts to get it working but then down the road you find out you don't have a complete movement anymore from Montblanc and that Jomashop jury rigged something together.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news in this thread but I wanted you to be completely aware of the situation. If it was an ETA movement or something easily sourceable, I'd say go ahead with Jomashop.

The thing with the European dealer is, be aware that depending on how they mark up the package to you, you may have to pay duty on the shipment. They also can't send you the alligator strap that the watch comes on, due to CITES. They'll have to send it along separately and it's a hassle. Unless they're a big jeweler that deals with American customers, they may not be up to handling that.
    adamcb likes this.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information