Real or fake Montblanc? Thinking about buying

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Roller.959 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me determine if this is real or fake. Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi
First do the chronograph functions work? A "flyback" chronograph is a pretty difficult complication, I doubt counterfeiters can easily adopt it, so does your watch operate as a "flyback" chronograph?

I suspect yours is a fake - Mont Blanc quality is better than that. Like this
https://www.google.es/search?q=MONT...hWBPxoKHS46B8YQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=AZ4yAncco5_mHM:

Your is more like this - a FAKE
https://www.google.es/search?q=MONT...ACK+CHRONOGRAPH+replica&imgrc=wmOGXoE1rOpo4M:

Let us know on the function
Thanks
adam

#6 ·
Better photos would help of dial (straight on) case back and side of case, and if possible the movement

Did the seller confirm EXACTLY how the flyback function is operating?
a

#7 ·
I was in a similar situation myself recently. The replicas have become impressive! From the reading I gathered it is difficult to distinguish from the outside only. In your particular case the side-shot, where you see the height and buttons, gives me the impression it's not as refined as the official pics look.

I'd say that pretty much the only way to be as sure as you can short of taking it to an AD would be to ask the seller to send pictures of the movement... simply the caseback removed.

As far as I can tell, none of the replicas have movements that resemble the original one. Many are quartz and the more sophisticated ones have asian movements. Typically there are no decorations to the movements and it should be relatively easy to spot from picture.

If seller is not willing to open the case, then make sure he offers free returns so you can get it, take a quick look and satisfy yourself.

If he puts all sorts of bumps on the road to avoid opening the case I would let it go as painful as it may be.

Good luck!

#8 ·
Fake, flybacks have open caseback to showcase the MB in house movement. There are some pretty high quality fakes out there with Asian ETA clone movements which makes it even harder to discern. There are places on the net that talk about how to make their replicas more real by replacing parts with genuine ones. It's terrible.

#9 ·
Hi
Thanks your confirmation.
Do you have a photo of a genuine movement (exhibition case back)?

#12 ·
Thanks
a

#14 ·
Additional indicators: All Timewalker bracelets are bicycle chain bracelets, not solid links. Lugs are skeletonized on TWs as well, this has solid lugs. Finally, the registers on this "Twinfly" are all wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.