very unhappy experience! I will never purchase Montblanc product!!!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: very unhappy experience! I will never purchase Montblanc product!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry very unhappy experience! I will never purchase Montblanc product!!!

Hi all, it is a nightmare from Hong Kong which I had with my Montblanc Timewalker. I think I need to share so that everyone can be aware before making any Montblanc purchases.

I bought a Montblanc timewalker 3 years ago for my wife. We noticed there was some strange marks on the crystal sapphire (where at the 1200 and 0600 position).
    Name:  IMG_7328.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  930.7 KBName:  IMG_7331.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  1.29 MB
    I sent it to Montblanc CS and they came back and said this is a problem of 'coating peeling off' due to improper usage. I had several arguments with them since honestly my wife has been using it very gently only for office work, shopping, just normal activities. Since this is a dressing watch, of course this timepiece wasn't been used for sports, exercises, etc.

Since the guarantee period is expired already, Montblanc CS only offer a 20% off for repairing.

Eventually, I decided NOT to proceed the repairing and just wanted to get my watch back. But when I picked up the watch, I found the so called 'coating peeling off' issue was much more severe and the whole crystal sapphire became like this!
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-05-27 at 16.38.07.jpeg
Views: 541
Size:  149.8 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2018-05-27 at 16.38.05 (1).jpeg
Views: 540
Size:  222.4 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2018-05-27 at 16.38.10.jpeg
Views: 549
Size:  164.2 KB
    I was completely shocked at the shop, and I refused to accept this. What happened to this watch? What did they do with this watch?

Their response is:
    Regarding to your concern of deteriorated condition on the peeling during the past month, please rest assured your timepiece is handled with care by professional technician. According to our investigations, the condition stays the same and should there be any decoration, it is due to the passage of time instead of mishandling by our service center.

Their reply is just ridiculous and irresponsible. The crystal sapphire was damaged during their check-up but they simply didn't admit.

What can I do?...

Re: very unhappy experience! I will never purchase Montblanc product!!!

I assume this is an external coating? If so, they dot last forever. I’m no expert and can’t do a failure analysis by photo, it doesn’t look like damage that would happen from a service center issue. I don’t blame them for not paying the repair cost post-warranty. While an anti-reflective coating serves a function, it is ultimately a cosmetic feature that is subect to damage through normal use.

Again, I am no expert, but it appears this coating is lifting and not a result of impact damage. Maybe the coating was poorly applied. Maybe your wife’s perfume, makeup-remover, or some other chemical she came in contact with reacted with it. It would be fairly hard to tell at this point. Either way, don’t get mad at Montbanc. They have specific terms and this likely does not fall within them, especially given its out of the timeline.

I would take this as a lesson that external crystal coatings are not a feature “compatible” with your expectations or your wife’s use case. I certainly wouldn’t purchase a watch with an exterior coating for myself. My advice is to take the watch to a good local watchmaker and talk to them about having the coating stripped. Many watches don’t have exterior coatings for this very reason.

(If this is an internal coating, disregard above)

thanks for the comments. I could understand their warranty policy so I am not expecting them to give me a free crystal sapphire replacement.

the key is, I can hardly accept that the timepiece that I picked was much more deteriorated, which is just not the same as what I sent to them.

The staff at the Boutique told me they didn't open the crystal. I just can't convince myself that on one hand they said the condition stays the same, but on the other hand, this kind of deterioration is due to 'passage of time' (which means, in 2 weeks)...

Honestly, at this stage, I only want the watch back with the condition as what I sent them, no more request. But now obviously someone did something with it and they just give me two choices: have it back as what's now, OR, give money for a repairing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I missed the fact that it deteriorated further in two weeks. I just read it as you didn’t notice how bad it was prior to sending it in.

Either way, I think full removal is the best solution.

If you got it fully replaced, the coating would eventually get scratched or damaged. If it was just like it was, it would eventually continue to deteriorate.

I am 100% against exterior coatings for this very reason. They compromise the practical durability of a sapphire crystal. If a watch is to be used in an environment where mitigating reflections is critical, then it is likely the watch may benefit from something with more impact resistance than sapphire. You just as well double down if you removed the scratch resistance.

I would encourage you to search the forum about having exterior coatings removed entirely. It’s a common thing that comes up.

The unhappy story finally came to an end anyway. Eventually, their Regional associate sales director had a meeting with us however she still didn't show her trust of what is happening to me.

First, she said that the defect was not due to misuse, but on the other hand, she denied it was an inherent quality problem. I questioned why the crystal was deteriorated rapidly during 3 weeks, she just said it was not reasonable. She emphasized nobody didn't anything during check up......

Here I got my crystal back, and it's just horrible...

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-07-21 at 15.04.54.jpeg
Views: 413
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-07-21 at 15.04.52.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  172.6 KB

Unfortunate to hear what happened. So did they end up replacing the crystal? I would say that a watch's AR should not flake off like that from regular daily usage. It could be as someone else suggested something your wife does that's routine but has had an adverse effect on the watch OR (and I would say this is more likely) that the AR coating was defective to begin with. If this was from an environmental interaction with something your wife does, I would feel like others would have a similar reaction and this would be more widespread. I would insist on speaking with someone at Montblanc or Richemont that would address this. It doesn't take much time to strip the coating off and re-apply (or just leave it off completely to be safe).
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Mmmm, this actually looks like mine only much further down the line, hopefully since mine is less than 18 months old and so still in warranty I won’t have any such problems with getting a repair carried out.
    Btw, the coating appears to be internal, I cannot feel any sign of a coating on the glass.

IF the coating is on the OUTSIDE, and you do not care about it, just buff it off. AR coatings are great if they are on the inside, but when applied to the outside as well, it's just not a good idea because things like this happen. I had a Sinn U2 and the coating on the outside of the crystal had some damage, so I just buffed the crystal and removed the rest and it was just fine looking.

Could it have gotten Deet on it, as in bug spray? Deet ate the coatings right off my glasses lenses, and destroyed the prescription. It also ate the crystal and the body of an old G-shock I had.

First off, I would send it off asap. The longer you go without addressing it with Richemont/Montblanc, the easier it will be for them to dismiss it as a defect. Also, Montblanc warranties are 24 months right? It'll be up in no time. Also, I'm certain my TimeWalker has an outside coating of AR, it's possible yours doesn't but there should be an outer coating.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information