Welcome to the Montblanc Forum
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Welcome to the Montblanc Forum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Picture Welcome to the Montblanc Forum

Montblanc is one of the world's leading brands of luxury writing instruments, watches, jewellery, leather goods, fragrances and eyewear.

Mission
    In 1924 Montblanc created the ultimate symbol for writing culture, the legendary “Meisterstück”. Perfectly handmade with the finest European craftsmanship, the iconic writing instrument has become the world’s most celebrated writing instrument. Not only because of its timeless design, but also because of the unmistakable values which are so characteristic of the entire Montblanc collection. They are established values that take on a new and greater significance as modern life develops faster and faster; values such as tradition, fine craftsmanship and an appreciation of the need to take time for the essentials.

Company Overview
    For the past 100 years Montblanc is a synonymous for the very highest writing culture, while the white star emblem symbolizes the snow-covered peak of the Mont Blanc – the highest European mountain, standing for the brand’s commitment to the highest quality and finest craftsmanship.

Now Montblanc’s product range has been expanded to include luxury watches, high quality leather goods, jewellery, eyewear and fragrances.

Source: Montblanc - Luxury Watches, Writing Instruments, Jewelry & Leather

Feel free to post your Montblanc watch(es) in this thread
    Alon likes this.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Re: Welcome to the Montblanc Forum

I love this brand. I have been looking to buy the timewalker for the longest time. But the one time i went to the AD. The size was too big for me. Maybe from the star range then,..........Soon you will be mine.........my precious..
    follow me on: https://www.instagram.com/rohantime

Rolex
    I Omega I Breitling I Glycine I B&M ISeiko

A bit of history on their watch efforts would be appreciated. Is this mostly a contract operation or is a lot done in-house? Is there a design philosophy?

I met Sophie, who managed the NYC store, at a watch function several years ago. I confess I knew only about the fountain pens ... she was amused
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The only Mont Blanc product I have is the Meisterstück Le Grand platinum ballpoint pen as I felt that its roots came from writing instruments instead. Their watches wise, looks pretty cool but do they have their own movements?
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    The only Mont Blanc product I have is the Meisterstück Le Grand platinum ballpoint pen as I felt that its roots came from writing instruments instead. Their watches wise, looks pretty cool but do they have their own movements?
    Making movements is non-trivial. I look at how much effort TAGHeuer has put into its new chronographic movements and I see it is a substantial effort. LVMH has put a fair chunk of change into the effort... few would be able to duplicate it. Bucherer is now building some of its own movements in small quantity but the price is considerable. Even TAG's prices, spread over a higher quantity, is a lot more than their externally sourced movements.

And I am at a loss to see the returns. One of the major successes of the Swiss watch industry has been specialization. Even organizations with the resources of Seiko are hard pressed to equal the accomplishments of movements such as the ETA 2892s (and their Swiss clone at Soprod).

The Swatch Group is pressuring this model. Things are changing.

But market definition can not be made solely on building in-house movements. There is, of course, a long tradition of taking existent product and making it better. And the knack of building a good watch is not so much having the best movement design as it is in having the best movement in actual operation at price points the public will pay.

It's a business.

But it is still a good question that is going to be asked over and over.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Making movements is non-trivial. I look at how much effort TAGHeuer has put into its new chronographic movements and I see it is a substantial effort. LVMH has put a fair chunk of change into the effort... few would be able to duplicate it. Bucherer is now building some of its own movements in small quantity but the price is considerable. Even TAG's prices, spread over a higher quantity, is a lot more than their externally sourced movements.

And I am at a loss to see the returns. One of the major successes of the Swiss watch industry has been specialization. Even organizations with the resources of Seiko are hard pressed to equal the accomplishments of movements such as the ETA 2892s (and their Swiss clone at Soprod).

The Swatch Group is pressuring this model. Things are changing.

But market definition can not be made solely on building in-house movements. There is, of course, a long tradition of taking existent product and making it better. And the knack of building a good watch is not so much having the best movement design as it is in having the best movement in actual operation at price points the public will pay.

It's a business.

But it is still a good question that is going to be asked over and over.
    Wow that's pretty detailed and thanks for the explanation!
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

Mmm, thank you sir for your precious input. On a side note, I just don't share your point of view on Carl F. Bucherer : this is the only brand that has not increased its prices for four consecutive years. And the CFB1000A, for a in-house caliber (developed with the help of their, at the time, supplier) is not that expensive, IMHO. Just my two cents.

Anyway, to answer Snoweagle's question, yes, MB has it own movements, since the brand bought the Institut Mineva 8 years ago. From here, MB developed mainly two mainstream calibers, including the MB220 that you can find in the Rieussed latest evolutions, for instance.

This is for mid-range pieces. Of course, high-end timepieces are all equipped with in house calibers. It's the Villeret collection. Not quite the same price range, count more or less 200'000 USD...

Cheers,

Olivier
    Journaliste, contributeur associé
    http://twitter.com/O_Muller

Everything I've seen has indicated MB have done remarkable in building watches in-house. I love the Rieussec watches, especially this one:

http://en.worldtempus.com/sites/defa...e_107067_0.jpg

Great Ernie. As a Montblanc fan I am happy to meet more Montblanc fans out here...
    Dale Vito likes this.

Well, big chief F1 Fan, I would not go against you on this :).... :

Name:  IMAG1629_1_1.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  249.1 KB
    Mediocre likes this.
    Journaliste, contributeur associé
    http://twitter.com/O_Muller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information