Why did the 7062 all but vanish from the face of the earth?

Thread: Why did the 7062 all but vanish from the face of the earth?

Why did the 7062 all but vanish from the face of the earth?

Trying not to cross post, apologies since this is similar to my post in the "show off pics" thread; but this watch is VERY difficult to find any information about.

I received my 7062 as a gift from my wife for Christmas (after she noted I was looking at it earlier this year in a local jewelry store here in the US). After many hours of (re)searching, there just doesn't appear to be any information about it NOR others for sale; with the exception of a few older estate auctions and dated European/Indonesian eBay listings.

I really like the watch, just wondering if anyone has any background info on this piece and why it's all but vanished from existence?

Appreciate any input - thanks!

Name:  IMG_20161228_091013256x1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  476.6 KB

Re: Why did the 7062 all but vanish from the face of the earth?

I just consulted my copy of the Montblanc book, "Writing Time" but it appears there's no mention of quartz pieces at all. I've done some writing on the recent past of Montblanc watches (not the Minerva stuff, but the late 90s-early 2000s Montblanc watch efforts) and from what I've gathered, the early efforts of Montblanc and their watch division were a little sporadic and not so well documented. It wasn't until 2008 when Montblanc became more respected as a watch brand (after acquiring Minerva and coming out with the Nicolas Rieussec monopusher chronograph with in-house movement) and so everything prior to that was mostly ignored by the major publications and collectors, thus very little information on their offerings can be seen online or otherwise. To amplify, this piece looks to be from the early 2000s as part of their Sport line when the internet wasn't as robust as it is now and not much that isn't widely popular at the time is well documented online.

Another reason there is not much info on your watch but you can find ample listings of it for sale is because Montblanc to this very day still pushes corporate sales as gifts through their distribution channels. I suspect that your model of watch was a similar item, made to appeal to their corporate clientele. One thing you could do is call Montblanc customer support in your region and ask for more information based on the ident number and see what they have on their end. From my experience, at least from the Richemont and SWATCH brands, their service departments have more documentation on their pieces than is externally available to us.

Good luck on your research!
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

Thread Information