002 - Project THOR - Bezel design thread
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 002 - Project THOR - Bezel design thread

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Off Topic post 002 - Project THOR - Bezel design thread

Dear friends,

we are now beginning new era of this project. With new designer on board and new participant list, this is the first step on our way towards very special watch on our wrists.

What is changing with this new approach is, that our designer will not only provide his drawings, but he will also share his thoughts, ideas and opinions at the beginning of each design discussion. This is very important, as it gives you better understanding of the concept and at the same time, it provides a baseline that should intersect and unify the whole.

So here are the words of our designer Claudio:

We are loosely basing our bezel design in the Meteor/Gloster E28 cockpits.

I've studied this picture and I came up with some initial groups or types of bezels.

One thing to take into account: this is NOT a rotating bezel. It does not rotate, in any direction. So please, no arrows, triangles or numbers. They are a mimic if they do not rotate. I've seen hundreds of cockpits pictures and couldn't find one with numbers on a bezel which do not rotate.
    Even reissues like the Longines heritage 1935 (a very gorgeous watch by the way), removes triangles or marks if the bezel do not rotate.
    So please, while discussing take this into account.

I've come up with 4 groups of bezels:

1. A modern bezel: a bezel based on a jet engine, not the cockpit. SImilar (but not identical) to other bezels like the Oris Big Crown ProPilot, or another watch which I do not recall now.
    2. A coined bezel: a "traditional" one like the Hamilton khaki fiel pioneer (for example), again not present in the cockpit.
    3. Or another coined bezel like the one found in the cockpit.
    4. A "simple" bezel: with lines (2 or 3) , or beveled, like the ones in the picture.
    5. The plain and flat bezel: Present in the cockpit and like the current Steinhart military, which use the same case.

These are the pictures, numbered in order of my preference, in an attempt to mind controlling your voting.

Name:  1bezel.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  2bezel.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  3bezel.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  4bezel.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  25.8 KB

So, here you go, let the discussion begin!
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: 002 - Project THOR - Bezel design thread

Your mind control tricks are strong indeed.

I'm liking the modern one at the moment. Looks sleek and unique.

I can also say my least favourite is the simple or lined bezel.

In addition, I'd also like to say that I'm loving the well crafted designs and find it very informative to hear your narrative on the actual design. Well done, ccapri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----
    Instagam: @i_am_khong

Well done, Ccapri - for both the presentation and the implementation (mock up) to the case.

All of those represent real cockpit clock, which make this a difficult choice.
    As I imagine that it will be worn on my wrist and it should give a vibe of tool-ish watch, I think Coined Bezel will be perfect, especially 2A - I think it really gives a cockpit-ish look
    The second interesting one is Simple Bezel - Beveled

The modern bezel is also interesting, but at glance it reminds me of the fluted bezel of the oysters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm also inclined towards the modern bezel, especially the angled version... Coined bezel is second... Great job Claudio!
    Horoticus likes this.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Quote Originally Posted by CzechMate View Post
    I'm also inclined towards the modern bezel, especially the angled version... Coined bezel is second... Great job Claudio!
    This is my initial impression, as well. Really drawn to the Modern A - you can just see those turbofans spinning!
    delco714 and CzechMate like this.

Ah it's good to be back. Great job CC I think having your thoughts up front will be invaluable. I actually could live with all the designs but currently liking the modern,2a probably shades it, and the cockpit coined bezel. As per usual this will probably change many times before the vote, but that is what is fun!
    Horoticus and CzechMate like this.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

Quote Originally Posted by CzechMate View Post
    Dear friends,

we are now beginning new era of this project. With new designer on board and new participant list, this is the first step on our way towards very special watch on our wrists.

What is changing with this new approach is, that our designer will not only provide his drawings, but he will also share his thoughts, ideas and opinions at the beginning of each design discussion. This is very important, as it gives you better understanding of the concept and at the same time, it provides a baseline that should intersect and unify the whole.

So here are the words of our designer Claudio:

We are loosely basing our bezel design in the Meteor/Gloster E28 cockpits.

I've studied this picture and I came up with some initial groups or types of bezels.

One thing to take into account: this is NOT a rotating bezel. It does not rotate, in any direction. So please, no arrows, triangles or numbers. They are a mimic if they do not rotate. I've seen hundreds of cockpits pictures and couldn't find one with numbers on a bezel which do not rotate.
    Even reissues like the Longines heritage 1935 (a very gorgeous watch by the way), removes triangles or marks if the bezel do not rotate.
    So please, while discussing take this into account.

I've come up with 4 groups of bezels:

Since all that you mentioned above is out... How about this bezel as the faux bolts give it a Cockpit Clock/Instrument feeling as the instruments are bolted into the dash.

Name:  military47haz_1kx1k_10.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  159.7 KB
    Last edited by JSal; October 8th, 2016 at 14:44.
    Cosmograph likes this.

I hate it when I have to choose between case designs that I like... Arrgh!
    Horoticus and CzechMate like this.
    You can buy watches but you can't buy time.

1a is sexy!!!!! Like a turbine. Simple Lined bezel would be my alternative

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
    CzechMate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JSal View Post
    Since all that you mentioned above is out... How about this bezel as the faux bolts give it a Cockpit Clock/Instrument feeling as the instruments are bolted into the dash.

Name:  military47haz_1kx1k_10.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  159.7 KB
    Not a bad idea John. It fits and black case it would looked very machined..solid alternative. Claudio? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information