006 - Project THOR - Text and caseback design thread
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: 006 - Project THOR - Text and caseback design thread

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Off Topic post 006 - Project THOR - Text and caseback design thread

Hi everybody

We must agree WHICH text we want to be shown on the dial and on the back.
    Information we can display:

DIAL:

• Name of the watch (ACW111)
    • Manufacturer logo (if required)
    • GMT
    • Automatic
    • Swiss made
    • 42 hours / power reserve
    • limited edition
    • or anything else :D

Name:  PICTURE-1 .jpg
Views: 278
Size:  124.4 KB
    BACK:

• name
    • manufacturer name
    • forum watchuseek limited edition
    • a (tribute) watch (honoring) Sir Frank Whittle / Squadron 111
    • 3 ATM
    • movement type
    • Number of each watch (this is important)
    • etc etc.

And we must also decide between a display back or a solid back (with text and picture or only text).

Name:  PICTURE-2-corrected.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  57.1 KB

Things to be aware of:
    I'm 100% sure the font size of the back is Ok, but as we didn't had any input from Mr. S. I really don't know the minimun size that can be printed on the dial, and I'm almost sure the size of the the font in the pictures here are too small (except for the "swiss made", maybe) So the amount of text we will display will be less. Take that into account.

And one more thing: the pictures show ALL the sites we can put text on the dial, but this is not necessarily all the text we should put on it.

The idea is to decide which text while we are voting for the dial, and then I'll made the proposals to discuss and vote.

Regards
    Claudio
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CzechMate; February 2nd, 2017 at 18:14.
    Horoticus, tinitini and alexcswong like this.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: 006 - Project THOR - Text and caseback design thread

My initial thoughts are....

We've had some discussion about the text on the front before, and although there was previously some resistance, I really like the idea of having ACW111 on the front. I agree that the name of the watch on the dial isn't usually cool, BUT in our case it won't look like the name and I think we could position it well so it looks like cockpit instrumentation text. As I mentioned before, this could be in black on black stealth font, like the Smiths Everest, which looks cool, but actually I think it would look good however we do it,.

Other stuff I like is Swiss Made, GMT and automatic, along with the manufacturer logo. I'd not be keen on limited edition or anything else relating to the name etc...

The back style is easy. I'm a sucker for a display back and as we haven't just got a standard movement I'd like to see it. I probably don't have any strong views on text for the back other than limited edition and the number of the watch. However, if we don't acknowledge ACW111 on the front, it HAS to go on the back.

I'll no doubt have more to say once I think more about it...I'll be back.
    alexcswong likes this.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

1. Just as the previous speaker, I am a sucker for display back as well )
    2. I dislike the text or as a matter of fact anything white around the date. It looks so cool just as a white number on black background with no highlighting by some kind of frame.
    3. I would prefer we avoid the logo. Silvery logo will look off on this watch IMHO.
    3a. If we can do without logo, then the main text is best positioned I think as in the rightmost dial
    3b. If we can't - the leftmost dial
    Main text I think should include ACW or ACW111 or some other reference to what the watch is about

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree 100% with Azanulbizar on all points.

I Don't think I can make any firm decision on "where" until I know "what" but ​definitely agree that we shouldn't have anything around the date.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

Thanks CM. I feel like my teenager just walked up to me at 10pm on a Friday night, asked for the car keys, my credit and ATM cards and mumbled something about a road trip to Atlantic City (aka, the east coast Las Vegas for the uninitiated). My default is simple, clean, uncluttered, so perhaps you can understand my predicament. I think I need some Claudio mock ups to help me sort through the clutter. Help!
    alexcswong likes this.

I think any branding text or logo should be along the vertical centreline. A brand logo at 9 would look ungainly. Sterile or stealth may be welcome. Avoid silver

Text inside the GMT dial actually looks good! So long as it doesn't cut in to the subdial.

Text around the date window just looks like hell.
    Anything that cuts into the primary indices or subdials is a no go for me, and that comes too close to the 3.

Display back is the most exciting for sure, especially if it's a Soprod!

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

I think cluttering the dial with all that text just takes away from the fact that this is supposed to be a cockpit clock influenced theme.

You will not find text like that on any cockpit clock you find. The dials on cockpit clocks and also pilot and Observer watches are mostly sterile.

All we should have is the Steinhart name and logo as many cockpit clocks carried the makers name on the dial. And "Swiss Made" can be added in a very small font at the bottom of the dial.

Nothing else is needed unless its numerals for either of the scales on the sub dials or something of that nature. It's got to have that military tool clock/watch look.

If you clutter the dial with text it becomes just another watch like all the rest and not what we set out to create..

All commemorative naming, specs, or anything else should be on the case back.

I also believe we should have two case backs. One with a Sapphire display which would come mounted on the watch at the time of delivery.
    The second should be a full solid case back with nice inscription and engraved design in the center.

The solid case back can have a nice place in the custom wooden display box for display or if the owner chooses it can easily be swapped onto the watch.

I just feel it would be important to visibly see the high end and decorated 9335 movement which we chose and spent a good portion of our budget on.

I think it would be nice to have the fully engraved case back for display purposes in the box. I believe it would be very impressive and something Mr Ian Whittle would love and admire commemorating his father.

As for the solid case back examples above, I am NOT in favor of changing the name to "C.W. 111" as it appears. The engraving MUST be "A.C.W. 111"
    Last edited by JSal; February 1st, 2017 at 04:52.

I agree with most everything that I've seen here. To summarize my thoughts:

1. Definitely a display back, though I really like the idea of an additional fully engraved back that more completely commemorates the project. I like the samples with a picture.

2. I agree with everyone who doesn't want to clutter the dial. In my opinion, everything that isn't directly involved in telling the time or date should be removed. Alternatively, any "extra" printing can use a non-contrasting color. I like the black-on-black concept.

3. Things I think should be on the watch somewhere (preferably case back): ACW111, limited edition (maybe with WUS), serial number.

Just a thought, would it be valuable to have the the date or year on it somewhere?
    delco714 likes this.

I agree with almost everything JSal posted and want to second that we keep the dial as unadorned with text as possible. Steinhart and Swiss Made and at most A.C.W. 111. I also think that putting the number on both case backs is a must if we go with two, but if it is only one, make it a display back.
    delco714 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information