008 - Project THOR - Colors
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 008 - Project THOR - Colors

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Off Topic post 008 - Project THOR - Colors

Hi everybody:
    This will be, likely, our last voting before the end of this long journey.

Before and while we vote for the hands we should start a discussion about colors (or colours). I think this discussion must be taken while we decide the hands.

This is very important as it can change our watch significantly.

I have posted the colors we will use before (remember the color swatches from a previous post):

Name:  PICTURE-1---Pantone-ACW111-color-swatches.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  32.8 KB

These are colors used in the cockpit or by the 111 squadron.

We have a big concern, or uncertainty: we don’t know how many colors we can use on the dial within our budget…so I have prepare some alternatives, ordered in increasing number of colors used.

These are the alternatives I propose, and below you can find the source of inspiration.
    Please discuss INTENSIVELY, because this is the last chance you will have to say your opinion… (there will be another voting, the final voting, but without any input from anybody, only final renders and some “return from the dead” elements, just to put them in a more complete context).

Name:  PICTURE2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  PICTURE3.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  51.0 KB

Regards,

C."
    alexcswong and Macdaz like this.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: 008 - Project THOR - Colors

Hi Frankie & Claudio,
    I really like the one colour vintage.

Cheers

This is going to be the hard part!
    On first impression, all white looks best, but I think it would result in an overly simple and therefore cheap looking watch. And too much colour will make it garish.
    I think a well thought out but highly restrained (and balanced!) approach will be best.
    E.g. start with all white, but grey out the minute marks (only slightly darker than white) to create some variation. Add a very small amount of colour, possibly the orange, maybe to the seconds hand, and the subdial hands.
    The PR dial and the GMT dial should be the same colour. You can't change one without the other, it looks too unbalanced if they are different.
    alexcswong likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

White/gray.. White..vintage..in that order

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

How could this be the last vote?

We have not discussed if anyone wants the bezel and crown to be Bronze as many in the past have desired.

We have also not finished discussing the case backs. Are we going to go with both a display back and solid engraved? I think this would be the best way to go.

If so I would prefer that the display back come on the watch with the solid Engraved Back be displayed beautifully in the presentation case.

Quote Originally Posted by JSal View Post

We have not discussed if anyone wants the bezel and crown to be Bronze as many in the past have desired.
    You beat me to it, but I was thinking the same thing. I don't want bronze anything, but I think it's right that we discuss it and make a decision in the usual way.

To to turn to colours:

I think white is too plain and sterile. Vintage has been done to death and I think we can do better than that. I'm not a fan of the orange, or 'The Brietling'. They grey face not only overturns one of the very early votes where we voted for a dark face, but I'm struggling to reconcile that with the the theme. So that leaves the historical options. I do like these but still feel they are a little flat, I was surprised that there was no red (muted of course) and wonder if a touch of something brighter might lift the dial, but truth be told I have a rubbish eye of things like that.

So I'm in the position of being a bit of a pain in the @r$£ in that I'm not really struck by any of the designs, but my creative inadequacies are preventing me from offering anything better I just can't see what is missing. So I know that makes me the worse kind of critic, one that moans, but doesn't offer any solutions.

Thanks for your work, though, I'm going to keep trying to come up with something more helpful.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

No and we wont until we have some idea of production costs...or any answer from S.
    If we get any answer before our last voting, (this is our last DESIGN Vote, but there will be another, read the first post, please) it will be included in the discussion.

We have also not finished discussing the case backs. Are we going to go with both a display back and solid engraved? I think this would be the best way to go.

If so I would prefer that the display back come on the watch with the solid Engraved Back be displayed beautifully in the presentation case.
    Case back has been discussed and voted...We have two, people preferred a display back and if budget allows a solid back was voted...

Quote Originally Posted by Macdaz View Post
    I think white is too plain and sterile. Vintage has been done to death and I think we can do better than that. I'm not a fan of the orange, or 'The Brietling'. They grey face not only overturns one of the very early votes where we voted for a dark face, but I'm struggling to reconcile that with the the theme. So that leaves the historical options. I do like these but still feel they are a little flat, I was surprised that there was no red (muted of course) and wonder if a touch of something brighter might lift the dial, but truth be told I have a rubbish eye of things like that.

So I'm in the position of being a bit of a pain in the @r$£ in that I'm not really struck by any of the designs, but my creative inadequacies are preventing me from offering anything better I just can't see what is missing. So I know that makes me the worse kind of critic, one that moans, but doesn't offer any solutions.

Thanks for your work, though, I'm going to keep trying to come up with something more helpful.
    About the red...it was only used for danger issues (in the cockpit), like fuel issues...maybe it can be added, but as we do not have any (ANY) idea of the costs, I tried to be conservative.

For me the more accurate dials (in terms of what's in the cockpit) are the all-white (or vintage if you want fake vintage), and the last two (both the "historical" ). But I tried to explore other alternatives to start the discussion.

Wasn't there significant interest in a very dark color? Either very dark gray or black with a different finish to create contrast with the face?

I would be interested in something similar to the vintage look but with a more subtle/hidden color for the less important elements. This is just an idea, but maybe darken the whole center and just leave the outer ring in a light color, to match the vintage reference picture?

Or maybe darken all the numbers and leave the tick marks light?

I'm just guessing here. It's hard to figure it out without seeing examples.
    - Dave

I rather like the orange or the historical. The orange gives the watch a feeling of "warm darkness", even in daylight.

The historical could be simplified to white/green only. The blue does not add much in my opinion. It is a totally different feel and I'm not sure which one I prefer.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information