OLD THREAD - Design Thread 1: The Overall Concept
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 1: The Overall Concept

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 1: The Overall Concept

Design Thread 1: The Overall Concept

Is everyone ready? Ready or not, the time has finally come: The Project THOR design process has officially begun!

The first step of the design is a very important one as it will determine which direction we will be taking the project in terms of the overall design concept. And the question that we’ll be discussing in this thread is: Should the watch design be a homage to an iconic timepiece from horological history, or should it be a brand-new original design that is completely unique to this project?

In terms of design time this is an important decision. If we choose to pursue a homage design the project will advance far more rapidly as many components of the watch will be predetermined by the design that serves as its inspiration. On the other hand, a completely fresh sheet design will involve far more work, and consequently will take a lot longer to complete.

This thread is NOT for discussing specific watches that might serve as inspiration for a homage design; such nominations will only be required IF it turns out that that a homage design is the route this project will follow. Also worthy of note, we need to keep all posts on topic so that this thread is easy to follow for all involved. Off-topic posts will be deleted.

The floor is now open! Please present your reasons and arguments for – and against – the two choices introduced in this thread. And remember: have fun!

The Usual Design Thread Preamble (please read before posting):

The purpose of Project THOR design threads is to introduce individual elements of the design process and allow registered participants to become active in the design process through their discussion of each element. You are encouraged in these threads to present your ideas, and to discuss and debate the ideas of other participants, because it is from these proposed ideas that we will compile the content for our vote threads. It’s very important to contribute any ideas you might have if you want to see a design that you like created.

The order in which these threads are presented, including the specific design elements they contain, has been carefully determined in conjunction with Triton, Steinhart’s lead designer, to create an efficient design process. With this in mind, we ask that you keep the comments in your posts on topic at all times.

Rather than restrict design threads to a predetermined timetable, they will continue until it has become obvious that the time to vote on everything that was discussed has been reached. Some design threads might only last a week, others might require a lot more time, so not only is it important to keep an eye on this sub-forum at all times, but you should also be prepared to participate early, participate often, and voice your opinion while there’s an opportunity to do so.
    Last edited by Uwe W.; December 12th, 2014 at 01:08.
    Soulspawn and actorius like this.

Re: Design Thread 1: The Overall Concept

I would personally like to see an original design or radical reinterpretation of a traditional class or style rather than a straight up homage.

There are a million homage watches out there. They serve a purpose. But let this project be original and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    I would personally like to see an original design or radical reinterpretation of a traditional class or style rather than a straight up homage.

There are a million homage watches out there. They serve a purpose. But let this project be original and unique.
    I agree with this - we have the rare opportunity to design a watch, let's not just copy some other design as a homage!

Cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post

I'm with the captain here.

I think it should be an original design, but doing what steinhart does the best in :
    1. Making affordable, yet quality watches.
    2. Taking designs that are already done but somehow injecting their own DNA into it (thinking of their use of sandwich dials, changeable bezels, etc)

So an original has my vote.
    -----
    Instagam: @i_am_khong

Original all the way!

My first thought when I got my O1V was the case and, more importantly, crystal would make a great reinterpretation of the Paul Newman Daytona-style chrono. Steinhart currently uses a Dubois Depraz module on the Marine Officer Chronograph in conjunction with a ETA 2824. Both watches are 16mm thick.

Now, the challenge is two-fold. One, getting the O1V midcase drilled to have room for pushers. Second is fitment, as the O1V total thickness includes the domed crystal. While getting the case drilled would include costs, it wouldn't be as much as getting a new case died. The second has two possible solutions. The first, we may be able to get a larger case back (I'd really like to see our signature Thor hammer on the back, regardless). If that's not possible, we could always remove the automatic works from the movement it would be a manual wind, much like some of the early Daytonas.

Now, I realize many people don't want homages, here. In my opinion, with the case shape, new size, sapphire crystal, and any customization we decide on the dial, bezel, and hands, would differentiate it enough from the original Paul Newman to be a truly unique modern vintage chrono.

Last edited by jigelow; December 12th, 2014 at 01:30.
    CzechMate and practicalwatch like this.

I think a homage is the best way to go. There are a lot of very interesting historical designs/watches that for various reasons are not very often used as an inspiration, if at all. The problem with an original design is that IMHO it's impossible to achieve a good result with 100+ 'designers'. The good original design is almost always the product of a single good designer with a clear vision. Let's don't kid ourselves we are good designers.

And of course it doesn't have to be 100% faithfull copy. There is enought room for collective creativity in recreating some nice watch.
    Last edited by Okapi001; December 12th, 2014 at 01:35.
    domoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    The problem with an original design is that IMHO it's impossible to achieve a good result with 100+ 'designers'. Let's don't kid ourselves we are good designers.
    I suspect that the 111 owners of the Proteus would strongly disagree with you!

I agree, instead of creating a homage - in which there are already a lot out there - I prefer an original.
    I think we'll be more proud of a special original instead of a special homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    I think a homage is the best way to go. There are a lot of very interesting historical designs/watches that for various reasons are not very often used as an inspiration, if at all. The problem with an original design is that IMHO it's impossible to achieve a good result with 100+ 'designers'. The good original design is almost always the product of a single good designer with a clear vision. Let's don't kid ourselves we are good designers.

And of course it doesn't have to be 100% faithfull copy. There is enought room for collective creativity in recreating some nice watch.
    I am 100 % with you.
    Greatings

Armin

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information