OLD THREAD - Design Thread 10 - Name of the watch
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 10 - Name of the watch

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 10 - Name of the watch

Dear gentlemen,

it is time to discuss the name of the watch. As promised, we are now trying to speed the tempo up a little bit, so since Triton is now working on the fine tuning of the main hands, we will, in the mean time, discuss your ideas and proposals on this topic.

This thread may not close as soon as other design threads, it might, in fact, span over multiple other design threads, or it might end whenever we feel we have found the right name. There is no definitive dead line to this discussion... It would be great to decide on the name before we design the case back, since there will probably be the name and some picture engraved...

In order to make this discussion a little bit organized, I would like to ask you to follow these simple guidelines:
    1. mark your proposal "PROPOSAL"
    2. if you are only tossing ideas around, there is no need to makr it a a PROPOSAL, but please understand, that I might not include it in a vote
    3. always try to explain why is your proposals a valid one in regard to the theme we have selected...
    4. there is no limit to the number of proposals per participant
    5. feel free to unleash your imagination and try not to restrain yourself with gods and mythology

That is about all. Now let the discussion begin!
    Last edited by CzechMate; February 20th, 2016 at 20:00.
    Horoticus and alexcswong like this.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: Design Thread 10 - Name of the watch

IDEA TOSSING:

I was thinking, that something out of aviation terminology could be used:

Scramble
    Bandit
    Bogey
    Buster
    Bruiser

These are valid to our theme since they are aviation terms, of course some closer connection would have to be found, they just sound cool to me...

Then I have found these that are also very interesting:

Lawn Dart - Nickname for F-16 Fighting Falcon and Rockwell B-1 Lancer or any other fast, pointy-nosed, single-engine fighter aircraft.
    Monkeyknocker
    - B-52
    Habu - SR-71 BalckBird
    Valkyrie
    Triple Threat - F-105 Thunderchief
    Last edited by CzechMate; February 8th, 2016 at 19:54.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Ooh! This will be a fun one. It has to be an aviation themed name and I definitely favour the name of a plane from the era. It has already been suggested, so I won't steal anybody's thunder by formally proposing it but, SR71 Blackbird is the kind of thing I'm going for. More to follow...
    CzechMate and ciclismosam like this.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

PROPOSAL

I said there would be more I just didn't think it would be so soon.

In my eyes the most beautiful thing man has ever designed, is a Supermarine Spitfire, the sight and sound of which always give me goosebumps, no matter how often I see or hear them.

Now, I know a Spitfire is not in keeping with the theme, so I can't have it or anything related to it. But, taking Supermarine as my inspiration I would like to propose:

Scimitar

Say it out loud... Steinhart Scimitar...I like it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Macdaz; February 8th, 2016 at 23:19. Reason: Add picture (not my own!)

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

PROPOSAL

SR-71 Blackbird

Or

F-117 Nighthawk

Because they are both from that era, have cool names, and have the colour black in common with the watch.

If we choose red for the detail colour, the SR-71 will be more suitable. For other colours, F-117 may be viable.

U2 is already taken by Bremont.

Nighthawk is taken by Citizen, I see that as less of a problem for some reason.

Thanks Macdaz!
    Macdaz, ciclismosam and shanty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macdaz View Post
    PROPOSAL

I said there would be more I just didn't think it would be so soon.

In my eyes the most beautiful thing man has ever designed, is a Supermarine Spitfire, the sight and sound of which always give me goosebumps, no matter how often I see or hear them.

Now, I know a Spitfire is not in keeping with the theme, so I can't have it or anything related to it. But, taking Supermarine as my inspiration I would like to propose:

Scimitar

Say it out loud... Steinhart Scimitar...I like it.
    I keep repeating it to myself, and since the pronunciation of those two words is difficult to me, I am very focused, rolling my eyes and moving my jawbone in a series of silent attempts for correct pronunciation. Steinhart Scimitar, Steinhart Scimitar, Steinhart Scimitar... "Why do you look like a dog trying to get a chewing gum out of his teeth?" (asks my better half after few minutes of looking at me)
    Macdaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CzechMate View Post
    I keep repeating it to myself, and since the pronunciation of those two words is difficult to me, I am very focused, rolling my eyes and moving my jawbone in a series of silent attempts for correct pronunciation. Steinhart Scimitar, Steinhart Scimitar, Steinhart Scimitar... "Why do you look like a dog trying to get a chewing gum out of his teeth?" (asks my better half after few minutes of looking at me)
    That made me laugh. Now I REALLY want that name just so I can picture you trying to say it!!
    CzechMate likes this.

What about...

PROPOSAL

... Steinhart Top Gun ? :p

I would much prefer to name the watch after some airliner, for example Caravelle, Comet, Concorde, TriStar ...

Quick Question: How many Proposals do we get per person?

I like the Scimitar but it sounds to me like a Klingon weapon. Along that line of thinking, how about:

Bird of Prey
    -----
    Cheers!
    Joe

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information