OLD THREAD - Design Thread 13 - Finishing the dial
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 13 - Finishing the dial

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 13 - Finishing the dial

Dear friends, we need to speed things up a little bit, so in this thread, we will discuss several finishing aspects of the dial:

1. dial lettering
    2. luminiscent material
    3. dial colors

1. Dial lettering
    We have the font and now we need to know what you want to be written on the dial. I don't want to limit your imagination by providing some strict guidelines, but please keep in mind, that we are designing a cockpit instrument and these need to be clean and uncluttered, so please think twice before you post...

2. Luminiscent material
    We have almost finished dial and we can safely decide what luminiscent material we want. Here are some options to start with:

Here is relative brightness:
    Name:  luminova.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  73.6 KB

Here are standard colors (Greenline):
    Name:  tritec.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  15.2 KB

Here are standard colors(Greenline) charged in daylight:
    Name:  greenlinechargeddaylight.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  38.5 KB

Here are standard colors (Greenline) charged at night:
    Name:  greenlinechargednight.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  15.7 KB

Here is Blueline:
    Name:  bluelinedaylight.jpg
Size:  59.8 KB

Here is Blueline charged in daylight:
    Name:  bluelinechargeddaylight.jpg
Size:  36.2 KB

Here is Blueline charged at night:
    Name:  bluelinechargednight.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  15.1 KB

C1 vs BGW9: (remember, C1 is not the brightest!)
    Name:  c1w9daylight.jpg
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  c1w9chargednight.jpg
Size:  8.1 KB

3. Dial colors
    This is related to the lume material and we should consider it together: we are designing a cockpit instrument, therefore strong lume is desirable. Some details do not need to be lumed and these can be of any color we choose. Some details must be lumed and color is a trade off for... What do you think?

Please, make my life easy and mark your post accordingly:

1. use a numbered list, where you will follow the structure above
    2. use bigger, bold font to mark you post with proposal
    3. if you do not propose anything and just want to comment or discuss, do not use big bold fonts at all

Here is what you post should look like if you want to propose something:

PROPOSAL:

1: Dial lettering
    This is what I want to propose: asdjasjd alsd asdoiasodad asdad ioihjrwedf asd,nje fasd kjearpiqjafas dalskdfnaeirj as asidjpaie rasp cpsjfpaiejf as.

2. Luminiscent material:
    I think adjknsdjf wp wsof hpoawxfhas dcw euf xw SDFB ŮASSG ASD APSFUH aes faso fp xuowhs ůowurh fůaso da wrfuhsdbv\bc awf wu rfhaw fu.

3. Dial colors:
    My opinion is, that lashfpqwiuh sd foíýze rxnsbd f saouhf d srkfhlsdbc psouhfwpurhfsd fksjxhf shefxo wuhf xe.
    Last edited by CzechMate; May 15th, 2016 at 12:32. Reason: Added some lume info...
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: Design Thread 13 - Finishing the dial

PROPOSAL:

1. Dial lettering:
    I don't want anything else that Steinhart and logo on the dial, so simple choice for me... )

2. Luminiscent material:
    Again, simple choice: C3, I want the brightest, strongest lume possible...

3. Dial colors:
    I can imagine the tip of the GMT subdial as well as the PR reserve to be in yellow or red/orange, of course lumed, so the choice is limited to the colors provided by Luminova...
    JSal, Heiner, Horoticus and 3 others like this.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

I'm in total agreement here with you.

I will make my own proposal but it will be exactly like yours or very close to it.
    CzechMate likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+ 1 - all said!
    CzechMate likes this.

PROPOSAL:

1. Dial Lettering:
    I don't want anything else except for the Steinhart name and crown logo added to the dial. Anything more than that will diminish the cockpit clock theme.

2. Luminiscent Material:
    Simple choice: C3, or whatever Steinhart uses as their brightest, strongest lume possible...
    It should also be the "Thick 3D Style Lume" on all Main Dial Indices & Numerals as this will not only add extra brightness and the length of time the Lume stays charged, but a 3D effect will enhance the look of the dial tremendously.

3. Dial Colors:
    We should not use paint on any of the important features or anything that gives us a reading. If color is needed it should be achieved by the use of Tinted Luminescent Material.

• Front portion of GMT subdial Hand - Yellow Lume

• Front portion of PR subdial Hand - Yellow Lume

• Front portion of Second Hand - Yellow Lume
    (except for the center triangular portion which should be filled with C3 to match the Main Indices and Numerals of the dial.)

The scale and numerals of the GMT subdial should be in a colored Lume. Possibly making AM and PM different different colors. (AM=Red, PM=Blue)

The Curved Bar Scale of the Power Reserve subdial should be a Green Lume starting at the area of 48 hrs, and going to Yellow, and then ending in Red towards the area of Zero.

**Note: The numberals themselves can be C3, but the Curved Bar Scale is where I see the Green/Yellow/Red being applied.
    Last edited by JSal; May 17th, 2016 at 21:23.
    docjoe and 2.7Tallroader like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JSal View Post

1. Dial lettering:
    I don't want anything else except for the Steinhart name and crown logo added to the dial. Anything more than that will diminish the cockpit clock theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by CzechMate View Post

1. Dial lettering:
    I don't want anything else that Steinhart and logo on the dial, so simple choice for me... )..
    Guys, right with you, but perhaps with one single exception. Now, I can hear your initial response already, but give me a minute...

If we go with ACW111, that is so cool, I would like it on the dial...but REALLY small, perhaps at the 6 o'clock position (where it often says Swiss made) and even in the same colour as the dial (like the military 47). You wouldn't see it unless you knew it was there and really looked for it. I have something similar on my Smiths (Timefactors) Everest and it is really effective and also pretty cool.

whaddya think? I'll make formal proposal later if if I'm not completely shot down in flames!
    Last edited by Macdaz; May 15th, 2016 at 23:53.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Macdaz View Post
    Guys, right with you, but perhaps with one single exception. Now, I can hear your initial response already, but give me a minute...

If we go with ACW111, that is so cool, I would like it on the dial...but REALLY small, perhaps is at the 6 o'clock position (where it often says Swiss made) and even in the same colour as the dial (like the military 47). You wouldn't see it in less you knew it was there and really looked for it. I have something similar on my Smiths (Timefactors) Everest and it is really effective and also pretty cool.

whaddya think? I'll make formal proposal later if if I'm not completely shot down in flames!
    Yep, I'm toying with this - would v much like to see some mock-ups. Will give it a go this week.

Also thinking BG W9 for lume. Love that blue...
    Macdaz likes this.

Personally I'm NOT in favor of ANY name on the dial no matter how small. It's totally tacky and goes against the spirit of the theme.

It can be done quite nicely on the back, and the name plate in the presentation case.

So I would prefer it on/around the edge of the Display Case Back.
    Or if a solid case back is chosen then somewhere on the cae back.

But with this special (and very expensive) movement I would certainly like to be able to see and appreciate it's uniqueness and decorated beauty.
    Last edited by JSal; May 15th, 2016 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdaz View Post

If we go with ACW111, that is so cool, I would like it on the dial...but REALLY small, perhaps is at the 6 o'clock position (where it often says Swiss made) and even in the same colour as the dial (like the military 47). You wouldn't see it in less you knew it was there and really looked for it. I have something similar on my Smiths (Timefactors) Everest and it is really effective and also pretty cool.

Yep, I'm toying with this - would v much like to see some mock-ups. Will give it a go this week.

I was thinking along the same lines by like JSal I would be worried about it looking tacky at the same time. I think we really need to see some shopped images to get a better idea.

Alternatively I would be happy for the name to be on the case back and plate only if.
    Macdaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

Don't forget, that you can have blue lume with almost any Superluminova, it is called Blueline, so you basically have two lines:

Greenline - all colors more or less glow in green
    Blueline - all colors more or less glow in blue

I have updated the initial post to reflect this...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information