OLD THREAD - Design Thread 4: The Theme
Like Tree1078Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 4: The Theme

Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 4: The Theme

Project THOR – Design Thread 4

The Theme

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the general design theme for the Project THOR Limited Edition watch.

So far we have established three things through our discussions and votes: the design will not be an homage to a specific watch, it will be limited to a cost of €1000, and it will be powered by a Soprod 9335 GMT movement. And now that we’re about to decide on components that will heavily influence the overall look and feel of the watch, the time has come to determine a theme that will guide us through the rest of the design process.

Establishing a theme is important. Not only will it help us to focus future design discussions, it will ensure that the components we design are goal-driven and work in a cohesive with one another.

The following list represents some of the themes that we can discuss in this thread, but it is not set in stone. We can add to - or edit - the list, which will be updated at the end of the discussion so that we can use it as a final list for our next vote.

This discussion will run for a minimum of one week (at least until 2-March); not only do we expect this discussion to draw many opinions, we want to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to participate. And finally, we ask that you please limit the presentation of mock-up drawings/photos during this discussion. Everyone appreciates enthusiasm, but there has been a tendency so far to present ideas that are too far ahead of the current discussion, and this typically ends up steering the conversation off topic. There is also no need to get into specific design components at this stage; the goal right now is to just select one of the themes from the list (or will be added to the list if need be).

Design Themes:

A note on the photos: They are purely meant to illustrate design cues associated with a theme and do not - in any way - represent anything to do with the eventual design or individual components of the Project THOR watch.

• Classic – A design that draws from timeless designs from past eras. Vintage, retro, and classy designs typically defined by clean and simple styling cues.
      • Name:  Classic Theme.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  155.2 KB

• Dive – Similar to the sport theme, but with a greater emphasis on water resistance, and easily read dials and hands. Suitable for water sports – or washing the car.
      • Name:  Dive Theme.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  171.0 KB

• Sport – Vibrant, bold, and rugged designs that can be inspired by or used for any number of sporting activities, whether it’s automotive racing or skydiving.
      • Name:  Sport Theme.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  181.3 KB

• AviationInspired by navigation and pilot watch designs with an emphasis on a rugged, tool-like appearance.
      • Name:  Pilot Theme.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  169.9 KB

• Naval/MarineInspired by classic navy and marine designs that placed great importance on high contrast, easily read dials.
      • Name:  Naval Theme.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  155.5 KB

• TrenchSimilar to aviation watches, trench designs are defined by function-over-form designs that are rough and ready in purpose, and characterized by muted, non-flamboyant cues.
      • Name:  Trench Theme.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  152.0 KB

• Modern – Elegance, fashion, and a focus on style, modern designs are meant to be appropriate timepieces for business and formal wear, but still acceptable for more casual situations too.
      • Name:  Modern Theme.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  131.1 KB

Last edited by Uwe W.; March 4th, 2015 at 00:24.

Re: Design Thread 4: The Theme

Between Sport and Dive for sure

The movement choice lends itself to some styles more than others. I would like to see it in an Aviation or Modern theme. I think it would also look good in a Classic theme if executed with tasteful modern touches.
    Leonine and MrDagon007 like this.
    Raf

Wish list: Copernicus Flagship Regulator, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Coaxial, Hamilton Railroad Auto Chrono

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mech4niq View Post
    The movement choice lends itself to some styles more than others.
    Sure, and I would tend to agree however how cool would it be to have a sports watch with this movement - something different

Right now I'm for Classic or Military.

I am always open to a unique piece as long as form follows function. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Palace View Post
    Sure, and I would tend to agree however how cool would it be to have a sports watch with this movement - something different
    Raf

Wish list: Copernicus Flagship Regulator, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Coaxial, Hamilton Railroad Auto Chrono

My first instinct is to vote against a Dive watch.
    Soulspawn and noregrets like this.

I would think Military if we use the Marine Officer Case. Here is my foray into a mockup. I melded the case of the Marine Officer Chrono with the bezel of the Apollon. It would be conceptually very cool. It has the face and hands of an aviation watch.
    Name:  ThorMarine1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  206.2 KB
    Last edited by docjoe; February 22nd, 2015 at 00:55.
    -----
    Cheers!
    Joe

I'm starting off thinking dive (O2 case) or navel (marine case) Let's see where I end up by the end of this thread...

Clear, legible, uncluttered and functional is where it's at for me; that can be achieved in any category.
    Last edited by Captain Scrumpy; February 22nd, 2015 at 01:09.
    noregrets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonine View Post
    My first instinct is to vote against a Dive watch.
    Agreed.
    I'm leaning towards an aviation style.

I think we can do a reimagination of what a Flieger should be and incorporate the gmt and power reserve of the 9335 into the design.

I haven't seen a Flieger with power reverse and gmt subdial before, so this might be really unique.
    -----
    Instagam: @i_am_khong

Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information