Project THOR – Design Thread 4
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the general design theme for the Project THOR Limited Edition watch.
So far we have established three things through our discussions and votes: the design will not be an homage to a specific watch, it will be limited to a cost of €1000, and it will be powered by a Soprod 9335 GMT movement. And now that we’re about to decide on components that will heavily influence the overall look and feel of the watch, the time has come to determine a theme that will guide us through the rest of the design process.
Establishing a theme is important. Not only will it help us to focus future design discussions, it will ensure that the components we design are goal-driven and work in a cohesive with one another.
The following list represents some of the themes that we can discuss in this thread, but it is not set in stone. We can add to - or edit - the list, which will be updated at the end of the discussion so that we can use it as a final list for our next vote.
This discussion will run for a minimum of one week (at least until 2-March); not only do we expect this discussion to draw many opinions, we want to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to participate. And finally, we ask that you please limit the presentation of mock-up drawings/photos during this discussion. Everyone appreciates enthusiasm, but there has been a tendency so far to present ideas that are too far ahead of the current discussion, and this typically ends up steering the conversation off topic. There is also no need to get into specific design components at this stage; the goal right now is to just select one of the themes from the list (or will be added to the list if need be).
A note on the photos: They are purely meant to illustrate design cues associated with a theme and do not - in any way - represent anything to do with the eventual design or individual components of the Project THOR watch.
- Classic – A design that draws from timeless designs from past eras. Vintage, retro, and classy designs typically defined by clean and simple styling cues.
- Dive – Similar to the sport theme, but with a greater emphasis on water resistance, and easily read dials and hands. Suitable for water sports – or washing the car.
- Sport – Vibrant, bold, and rugged designs that can be inspired by or used for any number of sporting activities, whether it’s automotive racing or skydiving.
- Aviation – Inspired by navigation and pilot watch designs with an emphasis on a rugged, tool-like appearance.
- Naval/Marine – Inspired by classic navy and marine designs that placed great importance on high contrast, easily read dials.
- Trench – Similar to aviation watches, trench designs are defined by function-over-form designs that are rough and ready in purpose, and characterized by muted, non-flamboyant cues.
- Modern – Elegance, fashion, and a focus on style, modern designs are meant to be appropriate timepieces for business and formal wear, but still acceptable for more casual situations too.