Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 8: Dial Layout

Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 8: Dial Layout

Project THOR – Design Thread 8

DIAL LAYOUT

PLEASE READ THIS POST CAREFULLY!

This is the second of our dial design threads, and although there are several more to come, everyone should appreciate that deciding on a layout for our dial is a major step in the design process.

Given the importance of this step, and because it’s our goal to have as many different participants as possible contributing to it, we ask that everyone PLEASE follow and respect the simple guidelines for this thread that are listed below.

Here’s how this thread will all work: In the first part of this design step we’ll discuss our ideas for the layout, and at the same time everyone will have an opportunity to present their layout preferences so that others can informally vote on it, and if popular, can be recorded and summarized for step two. During this time our project designer will be preparing a number of sample layouts based on our project theme. Once completed (approximately one week from now), those layouts will be presented for everyone to review.

In the second step of this thread Triton will incorporate the most popular proposed ideas into his sample layouts (see below) by modifying them as required. Obviously it’s unrealistic to create drawings for every single set of proposed ideas, so only those that receive the most “Likes” will be selected (see guidelines below).

Once Triton has completed the modified layouts, they will be presented in this post, and providing no further modification is required, we will use those drawings for our design vote. The number of final layouts that will be included in the vote will depend on the contributions made in this thread, but they will be limited to eight or less.

GUIDELINES:
    In order to avoid complete chaos, and to make every participant’s proposal easy to follow, please observe the following guidelines when contributing to this thread.

1. PLAN FIRST, THEN POST. Take some time and carefully think about what the layout for the project watch dial should look like. Which elements are important to you? Which would you like to most see appear on the dial? Write them all down, or prepare a mock-up using them, and then present it in ONE post using the title “MY PROPOSAL”.
    2. ONE PER CUSTOMER. Only one list or mock-up per participant, please! Why? There are a number of reasons: we want to avoid the inevitable flood of thrown-against-the-wall ideas; we need to keep this thread organized so that Triton can use the ideas to modify the base layouts; and mostly because we want as many participants as possible to have a chance to contribute their own ideas - we don't want to see this thread monopolized by a small minority of the more vocal participants.
    3. READ AND VOTE. Read the proposals of the other participants that are posted here, and if you see one that you really like and think it should be used to modify the base layouts, click on the post’s “Like” button. Layout ideas with the most “Likes” will be the ones used by Triton. Please don’t use the “Like” button in this thread unless it’s to indicate a layout proposal you would like to see used.

Given the nature of this design element we will be taking longer than we have in the past before we go to a vote. There will be a back and forth step involved with our designer, which will take time, and this is not something we have to, or need to rush. And because there will be plenty of time, if you find creating your own idea wish list to be difficult, you can always wait until after Triton has posted his sample layouts. Since they will be the base drawings that we'll be working from anyway, it might be easier for you to say what you want once there are concrete drawings for you to refer to.

Please note that the first post of this thread – this post – will be the one used to display the sample and modified layouts prepared by Triton.

And finally, remember that this thread and design step only concerns the actual layout of the dial. Please stay on topic. Luminescent material, dial wording, the actual typeface used for its components along with other elements of the dial will have their own design threads and are not the subject of this thread.

SAMPLE DIAL LAYOUTS

The following SEVEN example layouts were prepared for the project by Triton. They incorporate the major talking points of the discussion so far, and are now open for review and further discussion. Each layout has been numbered to make reference to a specific layout easier.

Name:  Thor_dial_1+2.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  249.5 KBName:  Thor_dial_3+4.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  247.2 KB
    Name:  Thor_dial_5.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  117.8 KBName:  Thor_dial_6+7.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  239.4 KB

SECOND SET OF DIAL LAYOUTS

The following SIX layouts were prepared for the project by Triton. They incorporate all of the ideas from the most popular of the participant's proposals AND the feedback received on the sample dial layouts (see above).

Name:  Thor_dialLayout_8-10.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  210.9 KB
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_11-13.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  217.3 KB
    Last edited by Uwe W.; August 3rd, 2015 at 02:32.
    R.Palace likes this.

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

Re: Design Thread 8: Dial Layout

Oh brother...

Right after Uwe just posted... "Please don’t use the “Like” button in this thread unless it’s to indicate a layout proposal you would like to see used"

Mr R.Palace placed a "like" to Uwe's thread. If Uwe isn't already bald, he will be soon from pulling all his hair out. LOL
    noregrets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JSal View Post
    Mr R.Palace placed a "like" to Uwe's thread. If Uwe isn't already bald, he will be soon from pulling all his hair out. LOL

Ha! I am bald, have been for years, so there isn't any hair to pull out... well, there is, but I'm not going there.

It's okay to "Like" the original post of this thread since it's not a discussion post, but from this point forward we ask that everyone use the "Like" button as an informal voting tool. And don't forget, you can also cancel a "Like" by clicking on it again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm rubbish with photo shop so I'm afraid my contribution will have to be in the form of a list. However, I do know what I like, so my finger will be poised over the Like icon for this thread.

For my part I would like the layout to focus on the readability / usability of the GMT subdial. It's a rather unusual movement, let's play to its strengths.

Overall the layout should promote a clean, legible, uncluttered and ultimately functional look - in-keeping with the practical clarity of a cockpit clock. The lay out should promote readability at a glance.
    Last edited by Captain Scrumpy; June 1st, 2015 at 23:48.

+1, not great with PS, know What I Like, so will be. "liker" more than a Poster of ideas, also keen to see a good and clean GMT dial....come on Hobby designers show your ideas :)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    I'm rubbish with photo shop so I'm afraid my contribution will have to be in the form of a list.
    And that's perfectly fine. Most contributions will come in the form of a list - you don't need to Photoshop a mock-up at all for this thread. However, being as specific as possible with a description is important.

Here are just a few points to help everyone get their layout ideas started:

• think of the dial consisting of three sections, the main 12-hour dial, and two sub-dials, one for the power reserve and the other for the 24-hour GMT dial
    • how should each of the three sections be represented? For example, should each be graduated numerically? Should they all mirror each other? Or, should each be unique?
    • should the 24-hour sub-dial be a full circle, or a half-circle?
    • how should the power reserve be represented? By numeric values in hours? Or like the gas gauge in a car, by letters? Or by some other graphic representation?
    • look at the dozens of aircraft clock images that have already been posted in this sub-forum, in particular those that had a sub-dial(s). How was the information represented by those sub-dials presented in those clocks?
    • should the main dial be visually segmented in some way, for example by having larger numbers at the 0-3-6-9 marks?
    • if you're having a hard time creating a list of what you want, start off by making a list of things that you don't like and work from that

Given the more complicated nature of this design step we're going to take a little more time, so there's no rush for everyone to post their wish list. Think things over. Figure out what you really like. And don't worry about contributing a wish list that only covers a few aspects of the layout. Some might be very partial about how the power reserve will look and not care so much about the main dial. Conversely, you can also just submit a photo of a specific clock that you would like to see used as a guide for the layout.

My suggestion is that we spend the next several days discussing the layout as it relates to our theme, and during that time everyone can begin to formulate their personal wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    I'm rubbish with photo shop so I'm afraid my contribution will have to be in the form of a list. However, I do know what I like, so my finger will be poised over the Like icon for this thread. For my part I would like the layout to focus on the readability / usability of the GMT subdial. It's a rather unusual movement, let's play to its strengths. Overall the layout should promote a clean, legible, uncluttered and ultimately functional look - in-keeping with the practical clarity of a cockpit clock. The lay out should promote readability at a glance.
    +1, Nailed it. Thank you Captain!

Don't think I could photoshop my way out of a paper bag. * hangs head in shame * But I know what I like. Fire away photoshoppers!

Quote Originally Posted by der_koelner View Post
    come on Hobby designers show your ideas :)
    As per the guidelines for this thread, we're actually hoping to avoid that. We don't want this project reduced to a small handful of people submitting several dozen of their own ideas while everyone else sits back and ends up being led by the nose.

This is your watch.
    This is your watch project.
    Everyone here has an opinion and some idea about what they like and don't like when it comes to a dial layout, so everyone should get involved!

I'll personally be very disappointed if this turns out to be a design exercise that ends up being run by a few people while everyone else is left to decide which of those ideas they like best.

My suggestion if you don't feel that you can express what you want or like in a dial layout would be to wait until Triton has posted his sample layouts as they will be the base that we'll be working from anyway. Once you see what he's put together it might be easier for you to say "I like the layout in drawing #3, but would like the GMT sub-dial to be larger," for example.
    Last edited by Uwe W.; June 2nd, 2015 at 00:49.

Just a minor suggestion, but it might be useful to have two threads for this particular discussion:
    1 thread only for the submission of layout designs (with any discussions removed by mods) , and another to discuss the designs.
    This will make it easier for everyone to look up the design submissions without flicking back 89 pages to a particular post and prevent designs from getting "lost" amid discussions.

I also like Uwe's idea of us discussing the layout over the next few days before submitting the designs. After all, if we only have one submission each, then we gotta make it count.
    Last edited by Soulspawn; June 2nd, 2015 at 00:52.
    -----
    Instagam: @i_am_khong

PS. Here is the movement in the case as a blank slate to get those creative juices going:
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1433199436003.jpeg
Views: 1475
Size:  88.5 KB

And below if a previously post list of cockpit clocks:

I personally will drawing inspiration from the 2nd clock, but with the larger subdial at the bottom for the 24 hours indicator and then smaller subdial at the top for the power reserve... But I'm also keen to explore the power reserve as a bar and not as a circular dial.
    Just throwing ideas out there atm.
    Last edited by Soulspawn; June 2nd, 2015 at 01:04.
    -----
    Instagam: @i_am_khong

Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information