OLD THREAD - Design Thread 8c: Dial Layout - Final Phase
Like Tree749Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 8c: Dial Layout - Final Phase

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 8c: Dial Layout - Final Phase

Project THOR – Design Thread 8c

Dial Layout – Final Phase

Having narrowed down the six sample dial layouts to only three, we now have the opportunity to fine tune our finalists so that they can be presented for a final dial layout vote.

This thread will work in a similar manner to the first dial layout thread. The floor will be open for discussion and ideas for improving each of the three layouts, and at the same time everyone is invited to present their preferred changes in a list. And as was previously done, we will tabulate all of the suggestions made in this thread to determine the five most popular changes for each layout.

Since it’s unrealistic to expect drawings to be prepared for every single set of proposed ideas, a quick vote will be conducted to determine which modifications will be implemented by Triton to create the fine-tuned version of each layout. Each final rendering will be accompanied a by photo-realistic mock up so that everyone will have a good idea of what the layout will look like with respect to the watch case.

What can be changed or modified? Please keep in mind that we are fine tuning at this point, not making drastic changes to the layout itself. Tweaking the main and defining components of the dial is acceptable, but not requesting that those components be completely changed (such as swapping the PR dial with one from another layout, for example). Similarly, proposed changes to the indices (length, thickness, shape, etc.) and shading/detailing of the sub-dials are also acceptable.

Keep in mind that some elements of the dial such as the typeface (font) used for the numerals and other text will be determined later on.

A summary of the goals for this thread:
    1. Participants propose changes for each layout (or only the layouts they’re interested in).
    2. All of the proposals are surveyed by the project administrators to determine the top five proposed changes for each layout.
    3. The top five proposals (for each layout) are voted on to determine which will be implemented.
    4. Triton prepares a final rendering and mock up for each layout.
    5. The final dial layout vote is conducted.

And our three finalists:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thor_dialLayout_Final 3.jpg 
Views:	2345 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	5227738
    Last edited by Uwe W.; September 24th, 2015 at 17:47.

Re: Design Thread 8c: Dial Layout - Final Phase

The first thing I would like to see on the the first layout is a bigger GMT Dial like in the second layout and the addition of hash marks in between minutes/seconds

For the 3rd layout, keep it as is but a full complement of numbers, and maybe shade the AM part of the dial lighter than the PM side.
    asrar.merchant likes this.

The more and more I look at these three designs, the more number 3 (13) grows on me. I really like the idea of a unique GMT dial with a double sided hand. I wouldn't change much to the others, but for 3 I would like to see the bezel hashes changed to dots, remove the bulls-eye from the date, and make the GMT dial a bit bigger if possible. Would adding small numbers for the remaining hours be off the table? I think it should be allowed to be voted on because neither 12 nor 13 had that design feature.
    Uwe W., JSal and asrar.merchant like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Let the mock-ups begin! This one takes #3 with the #2 Power Reserve. Let me know what you think!
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3a.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  93.9 KB

I like this Power Reserve and GMT combo. I also like the hash marks both on the bezel and the lines on dial itself. Also, numerals at the cardinal points are present as well. I think it is more of what I would wish to have.

Here is a variation on the above without the highlighted date. I think it looks much more balanced (Draws less attention to the lack of anything near the 9)
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3b.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  93.7 KB
    Last edited by docjoe; September 3rd, 2015 at 20:18. Reason: Added 3b picture
    asrar.merchant likes this.
    -----
    Cheers!
    Joe

Well, sorry, but the rule is no mixing.
    Tweaking the main and defining components of the dial is acceptable, but not requesting that those components be completely changed (such as swapping thePR dial with one from another layout, for example).

In the spirit of complying with the rules, I offer this. It is a modification of #2 with hash marks on the bezel.
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3_2a.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  92.7 KB
    -----
    Cheers!
    Joe

OK, in playing with the rules, I am going to suggest the following modifications/tweaks to #3. I started out with blacking out the circle around the date.

First, I wanted to add numbers to the PR:
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3_3b1.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  92.9 KB
    Then... I thought, perhaps a few accents on the PR, just to make it pop a little (just 3 little lines):
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3_3b2.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  94.7 KB
    Then, why not add a few more lines, just a small tweak and Voila:
    Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3_3b3.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  94.5 KB

Would that be sufficient in playing "within the rules"? I propose this a little tongue in cheek but wanted just to point out how similar those PRs are and how they could be modified to look like each other without much effort.
    -----
    Cheers!
    Joe

Design 1: Larger GMT subdial, like in #2
    Design 1: A non-gradient finish for the GMT subdial. I like the design overall, but not the gradient.

Design 2: A larger power reserve subdial. Would be great to extend it upward at the expense of white triangle above. Otherwise, perfect.

Design 3: Seriously, one set of minute marks is redundant. The dial looks like a space ship initiating a hyperspace jump. Perhaps at least remake dashes into dots on the bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by docjoe View Post
    Would that be sufficient in playing "within the rules"? I propose this a little tongue in cheek but wanted just to point out how similar those PRs are and how they could be modified to look like each other without much effort.
    I didn't invent that rule. You can transform every element into another element in 2 or 3 such steps. Remove minute markers from the bezel 3 and you get bezel 2. So, the minute markers should stay on the bezel 3, they can only be modified, not removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    I didn't invent that rule. You can transform every element into another element in 2 or 3 such steps. Remove minute markers from the bezel 3 and you get bezel 2. So, the minute markers should stay on the bezel 3, they can only be modified, not removed.
    No you didn't make the rule, you were simply quoting the rule! I fully understand both your point and those of the moderators. I also will leave it up to them for a ruling on such matters. This is after all a group effort.

Just wanted to show what a potential watch with design elements from both would look like. Personally I like it better than just #2 or #3 alone. I took the best of both (according to me) and put them together.

This is, after all, a discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    asrar.merchant and Cosmograph like this.
    -----
    Cheers!
    Joe

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information