OLD THREAD - Design Thread 9b: Handset - Main hands - Final phase
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Design Thread 9b: Handset - Main hands - Final phase

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Off Topic post OLD THREAD - Design Thread 9b: Handset - Main hands - Final phase

Project THOR – Design Thread 9b

Handset - Main hands – Final Phase

Having narrowed down the six sample handsets to only three, we now have the opportunity to fine tune our finalists so that they can be presented for a final vote.

This thread will work in a similar manner to the dial layout thread. The floor will be open for discussion and ideas for improving each of the three layouts, and at the same time everyone is invited to present their preferred changes in a list. And as was previously done, we will tabulate all of the suggestions made in this thread to determine the five most popular changes for each handset.

Since it’s unrealistic to expect drawings to be prepared for every single set of proposed ideas, only top five modifications will be implemented by Triton to create the fine-tuned version of each handset.

What can be changed or modified? Please keep in mind that we are fine tuning at this point, not making drastic changes to the handset itself. Tweaking is acceptable, but not requesting that those components be completely changed (such as swapping hands for example).

Keep in mind that we are now fine tuning the MAIN HANDS, we will deal with sub dial hands later.

A summary of the goals for this thread:
    1. Participants propose changes for each handset (or only the handset they’re interested in).
    2. All of the proposals are surveyed by the project administrators to determine the top five proposed changes.
    3. The top five proposals are sent to Triton.
    4. Triton prepares a final rendering.
    5. The final vote is conducted.

PLEASE don't forget to mark your proposal to fine tuning change as a PROPOSAL!
    Each handset you propose to fine tune should have it's own post, so that people can LIKE your proposal easily.

And our three finalists:

Name:  Opt2.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  238.6 KBName:  Opt5.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  223.7 KBName:  Opt6.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  231.1 KB
    Last edited by CzechMate; February 20th, 2016 at 20:02.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: Design Thread 9a: Handset - Main hands - Final phase

All three look great to me. I have a tough time choosing one or refining them.

Am am very happy we reached this stage.
    Cheers,
    Ralf
    Aid1987 likes this.

like nice watches, check out my profile to see which ones.

Number 5 is my favorite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brekel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My top choice has been eliminated but if i have to chose between those 3, i vote for #5

But, i'm not sure... where is the lume supposed to be on this set ? If the hands are filled with lume like the hands of the Nav B Chrono Kiga, so the hands can not be skeletonized... and correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the handset 5 was supposed to be skeletonized ? Or, other possibility, the hands are supposed to be skeletonized and fully lumed ? In this case, no color possibility for the hands ?

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

Well.... big disappointment that #1 didn't make it. I really feel that was our best choice for something special.

But no looking back now, it's time to Forge ahead and work with what we've chosen collectively.

1.) Number 6 is now my favorite of the three left.
    It's unique, it is readable, and is different from what you see everyday.

2.) Number 2 would be my next choice but the hands would need to be Skeletonized.

3.) Number 5 to me is just so over done. It's on every single modern pilot watch or aeronautical theme watch.
    Last edited by JSal; January 24th, 2016 at 01:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Fly View Post
    My top choice has been eliminated but if i have to chose between those 3, i vote for #5

But, i'm not sure... where is the lume supposed to be on this set ? If the hands are filled with lume like the hands of the Nav B Chrono Kiga, so the hands can not be skeletonized... and correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the handset 5 was supposed to be skeletonized ? Or, other possibility, the hands are supposed to be skeletonized and fully lumed ? In this case, no color possibility for the hands ?

The lume on a skeletonized handset is painted onto the metal frame of the hands and leaving the center empty, instead of just filling the center with Lume and leaving the frame in bare metal.
    Last edited by JSal; January 24th, 2016 at 01:38.

Definitely 6, but I think it was mentioned before, the hour hand could be a bit longer. (Note: not a formal tweak proposal yet!)

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Macdaz View Post
    Definitely 6, but I think it was mentioned before, the hour hand could be a bit longer. (Note: not a formal tweak proposal yet!)
    I think the length is ok but that it would need to be lumed right down to the centre to make it look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aid1987 View Post
    I think the length is ok but that it would need to be lumed right down to the centre to make it look right.
    That would not be a good idea..

The whole purpose of skeleton hands for this is to alleviate some of the blockage of the GMT sub-dial when the hands are in that area.

The luminous outline will look extremely well especially with the hands being so broad.

Number 2 looks like an under inflated balloon to me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information