OLD THREAD - Vote Thread 10a - The Name - 11 to 3
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: OLD THREAD - Vote Thread 10a - The Name - 11 to 3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pen OLD THREAD - Vote Thread 10a - The Name - 11 to 3

The purpose of this vote is to further narrow down the selection of the names.

First you will go through several sections, where our participants will explain why some names are good and why some are NOT good names for our project. Please read it thoroughly.

In the vote form you will be asked to select 3 names. After that, we will discuss the names for a short period of time and then we will proceed with the final vote. If you don't know what each name means, you can read appropriate design thread again where you can find the story behind each name.

Remember, this thread is NOT for the continued discussion of the crown design. Please use the appropriate Design Thread for such posts. This thread is strictly for comments concerning the vote itself – or for anyone experiencing problems with the voting process and needs to let us know.

Online vote forms will be sent out to everyone over the next 24 hours (April 7th).
    This vote will run for SEVEN days (from 7th of April – 14th April), or less if all eligible votes are received before the end of the voting period (it would be a miracle). The vote results will be tabulated and posted in this thread upon its completion and in the project summary post of the FAQ thread.

IMPORTANT! This vote is mandatory and WILL count against your participation count in the project.

So, what our articpants said about certain names:

Why Phantom is NOT a good name

Written by CBM_DOC:

It seems to be a popular watch name. There is also a Lew & Huey line of Phantom watches - Lew and Huey Phantom

Written by Macdaz:

Phantom Men's Black Pilot Wrist WAtch A Dial - reference to existing Phantom watches

I Have to say that the shortlist is a disappointing one for me. It will be a case of going for the least worst option in most cases.

I won't say too much about individual names as this more than anything else is just a personal preference, but to my preference there are some really uncool, tacky, terrible options there. They won't stop me buying, but I may never use the name!

Both participants are suggesting, that Phantom is overused in watch industry.

Why SR-71 Blackbird is NOT a good name

Written by CBM_DOC:

SR-71 Blackbird is a registered trademark of Lockheed Martin Corporation, including for international usage. See https://trademarks.justia.com/786/74...-78674170.html
    which states it covers "Precious metals and their alloys and goods in precious metals or coated therewith, not included in other classes; jewellery, precious stones; horological and chronometric instruments." I added the emphasis.

It specifically covers
    "Goods and Services Jewelry; Watches; Wrist watches"
    Again, I added the emphasis.

Why ACW [variant] is a good name

Written by Baldrick:

In varying order of importance:

ACW is a reference to Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle, an English RAF officer credited with single-handedly inventing the turbojet engine, used in WWII.
    His engine powered early models of the Gloster Meteor - the first British jet fighter and the Allies only operational jet aircraft during WWII.
    As such, it is firmly linked to our theme. From Design thread 4: "From the early jet-era to the last of the mechanical cockpit clocks".
    It has the benefit of tipping the hat both to Whittle's contribution and to jet 'planes generally. It is both a recognition of the theme and era we are aiming for and a mark of respect for the man who made it a reality. It's a perfect fit and I would suggest a perfect opportunity for us.
    It sounds great..."Steinhart ACW"...rolls off the tongue.
    It's a great talking point and one that adds heritage and depth to our project.
    It doesn't tie us in to specific design cues or raise issues of IP infringement.

As an aside, I would advocate the variant "ACW 111". Still sounds great and, in addition:

Having passed his RAF training, Whittle joined as a pilot officer in No. 111 Squadron, an RAF squadron that played an important role in WWII and specifically the Battle of Britain.
    We are making a special edition watch, limited to 111 pieces.
    This number is therefore ties in very nicely with both the nod to AC Whittle and our project. (Seriously, a fantastic coincidence and, again, a great opportunity for us to have a complete alignment of theme, project and name.)

Why METEOR is a good name

Written by Baldrick:

The Gloster "Meteor" was the first British jet fighter and the Allies only operational jet aircraft during WWII.
    It first flew in 1943, powered by the jet engine invented by Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle.
    It made or broke several aviation records, including the first official air speed record by a jet aircraft, flight time and rate of climb.
    It sounds good but also has the benefits of linking directly to our theme of early jet-era clocks and giving the nod to history.
    "Meteor" itself does not seem to be subject to any potential legal restrictions.
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

Re: Vote Thread 10a - The Name - 11 to 3

Voted
    CzechMate likes this.

Voted.
    CzechMate likes this.
    You can buy watches but you can't buy time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Done. Cheers CM. First choice made itself. Others, bit more tricky. There is still some real duffers there! I hope we collectively get this right!
    CzechMate likes this.

"A problem shared is a problem two people have got." - Arthur Daley

Collection In order of acquisition: Omega SMP 300 | Accurist |TW Steel | Breil | Victorinox Groundforce | Orient Mako |Orient Mako XL | Steinhart OVM | Suunto ambit 2R | Smiths Everest (Timefactors) | Christopher Ward C60 Trident 600 Pro | Christopher Ward C3 Malvern Chrono | Seiko Recraft SNKN01 | Christopher Ward C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2, And that's it. NO MORE. Vostok Komandirskie 1965 | Laco Aachen | Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Mk1 | Seiko SRP315K1 Monster | Christopher Ward C7 Automatic | Steinhart Aviation Automatic | Christopher Ward C65 GMT.

Voted, but didn't like offical "suggestions" on what to vote or not to vote. IMHO it's not in the spirit of free voting process.
    delco714 and TheGeppetto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    Voted, but didn't like offical "suggestions" on what to vote or not to vote. IMHO it's not in the spirit of free voting process.
    Now my low criticism threshold kicks in:

Be more specific, what exactly you didn't like? That I have suggested to not waste your vote on SR-71? Or that I have suggested to keep in mind what others have said while voting? I am not forcing anyone to anything. I have not even removed the SR-71 from the list, although I could have done so, given the copyright issues. I have given advices, because there is like 50% of people, who only read vote form text, and maybe they don't even read that... So I wanted to bring to their attention, that there is something important to keep in mind... Otherwise these people would vote for T.H.O.R., or Nippelnacht or what was that other joke... Just because it sounds cool... Without giving it a thought...

Sorry if it offended you...
    Join our great project! Click this link and apply: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f521/pr...n-1246450.html

I don't like that you are using your mod's power to steer the voting in the direction you prefer. And I think your comment above is rather patronizing - as if we are not capable of choosing the best name on our own and we need your guidance.

Voted. Thanks CM for staying with us. You are doing a great job under trying circumstances, and I for one certainly appreciate the effort.

Dave
    CzechMate likes this.

Another vote in the books! No issues on this end - thanks CM.
    CzechMate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    I don't like that you are using your mod's power to steer the voting in the direction you prefer. And I think your comment above is rather patronizing - as if we are not capable of choosing the best name on our own and we need your guidance.

I think you have low patronizing threshold...
    EDIT: btw, did you follow my instructions?
    Last edited by CzechMate; April 24th, 2016 at 23:59.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information