Vote Thread 8c: Dial Layout Fine Tune
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Vote Thread 8c: Dial Layout Fine Tune

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Pen Vote Thread 8c: Dial Layout Fine Tune

Design Vote 8c: “Dial Layout – Fine Tuned”

CLOSED

Vote results can be found starting with this post.

Original text:

We’re now one step away from choosing the dial layout that will be used for the Project THOR watch. Hurray!

This vote will decide which of the fine-tuning suggestions that were made by the project’s participants will actually be used to create final renderings of our three dial layouts.

We have included the questions that will appear on the vote ballot below; if there is an item that you aren’t clear about, please ask in this thread and we’ll explain it in greater detail.

Please note that this vote will be slightly different than those we’ve had in the past. Instead of ranking the options in order of preference, you will be asked to vote either “YES” or “NO” for each proposed change. It’s very simple; if you would like to see a proposed change implemented, you vote “YES”, on the other hand, if you dislike a suggestion, you would vote “NO”. As always the majority wins, and in the case of any overlapping proposals, the one that receives the most votes will be the one used.

In this vote you also have the option of not having to vote on changes for every layout. If you’re not interested in a particular layout, just answer NO to the first question (Are you interested in fine tuning of this dial layout?) in that layout’s section. PLEASE refrain from voting on changes to layouts that you have no interest in. Remember, all vote results are made public, and consequently any intentional attempt to sabotage a layout’s development by voting in a manner that blocks changes being made to it will be obvious to everyone.

Finally, this thread is NOT for the continued discussion of the dial layout. Please use the appropriate Design Thread for such posts. This thread is strictly for comments concerning the vote itself – or for anyone experiencing problems with the voting process and needs to let us know.

Online vote forms will be sent out to everyone over the next 24 hours (by 18:00 EST on 24 September).

This vote will run for SEVEN days (from 24 – 30 September), or less if all eligible votes are received before the end of the voting period (yeah, fat chance of that happening). The vote results will be tabulated and posted in this thread upon its completion and in the project summary post of the FAQ thread.

IMPORTANT! This vote is NOT mandatory and WILL NOT count against your participation in the project should you fail to vote.

The Usual Fine Print Concerning Our Voting Process (please read at least once if you haven’t already):

The following options will be presented on the vote ballot. The “do not make any changes” option is for those who like the way a specific component looks and doesn’t want to see it altered.

Name:  Thor_dialLayout_Final 3.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  215.2 KB

Dial Layout #1
    • Are you interested in fine tuning of this dial layout?
    • Main Dial: Remove the white circle currently around the date
    • Main Dial: Replace the dots at each hour index with batons to match those used for the rest of the dial
    • Main Dial: Make the hour numerals larger
    • Main Dial: DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
    • Power Reserve: Make the power reserve scale line symmetrical (an even line instead of a “swoosh”)
    • Power Reserve: DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
    • GMT Dial: Make the GMT sub-dial bigger
    • GMT Dial: Use a “non-gradient” finish (remove the textured surface)
    • GMT Dial: Add more numerals to the GMT sub-dial
    • GMT Dial: DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
    • Bezel: Add dot indices between the numerals
    • Bezel: DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES

Dial Layout #2
    • Main Dial: Make the triangle marker smaller
    • Main Dial: Increase the size of the 12, 3, 9 numerals
    • Power Reserve: Make the power reserve sub-dial larger
    • Power Reserve: Remove the shading
    • GMT Dial: Add texturing as used for the GMT dial in layout #1
    • GMT Dial: Make the GMT sub-dial smaller similar to the one in layout #1
    • Bezel: Add dot indices between the numerals

Drawing #3
    • Main Dial: Remove the white circle currently around the date
    • Main Dial: Keep the white date circle, but make it thinner
    • Main Dial: Make the hour numerals larger (remove one index on either side – will require removal of date circle)
    • Power Reserve: Add shading/alternating pattern as used in layout #2
    • Power Reserve: Add numbers to the power reserve scale (0-12-24-36-48)
    • Power Reserve: Add an extra line to the top of the scale to make it more pronounced
    • Power Reserve: Recess the dial to give it depth and to match the GMT sub-dial
    • GMT Dial: Shade the AM (0-12) part of the sub-dial lighter than the PM side (12-24)
    • GMT Dial: Make the GMT dial bigger
    • GMT Dial: Add small numbers for the remaining hour indices
    • GMT Dial: Recess the dial to give it depth
    • Bezel: Change the hash marks to dots
    • Bezel: Remove the triangle from the bezel and replace it with a numeral
    Last edited by Uwe W.; October 7th, 2015 at 18:16.
    Horoticus, docjoe and vicentk like this.

Re: Vote Thread 8c: Dial Layout Fine Tune

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the original renders in the "Design Thread 8c: Dial Layout - Final Phase"?

I see the following instead of the pics: "Name:Thor_dialLayout_Final 3.jpg Views: 953 Size: 215.2 KB"

Seems I'm having the same issue in the General Discussion thread. As a matter of fact, I can't even see the pictures I posted the other day during the off-topic aviation discussion. However, I just viewed pictures without issue in a random WRUW thread from today. Haven't checked any other thread, but it is occurring on both my Mac and iPad. Very strange...

Quote Originally Posted by Horoticus View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the original renders in the "Design Thread 8c: Dial Layout - Final Phase"?
    There were a number of issues with the forum over the past couple of hours, and although some problems have been rectified, I don't think all them have been addressed yet. Apparently it had something to do with a TapaTalk update. The tech team is working on it right now and hopefully everything will be back to normal very shortly.
    Horoticus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Uwe. FWIW, I can see the renders you added to your original post in this thread.

Dropping this here for all those who struggle to visualize some of the above change options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vote Thread 8c: Dial Layout Fine Tune

2 with revisions is now in the lead for me. Getting shot of shading on power reserve is a huge advance IMO.

I have also grown to like bezel dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Captain Scrumpy; September 24th, 2015 at 00:52.
    ciclismosam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    Dropping this here for all those who struggle to visualize some of the above change options.
    I want to emphasize to everyone voting that those only show some of the options, and even then, not necessarily exactly what they will look like on a final rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe W. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scrumpy View Post
    I want to emphasize to everyone voting that those only show some of the options, and even then, not necessarily exactly what they will look like on a final rendering.
    Hi Uwe,

About that... Can we talk about the bezel dots? The latest renderings from Triton (thanks Simon!) showed them as medium sized round dots that are justified to the centreline of the bezel.

Looking at example cockpit clocks, they look to me as though they are slightly smaller square dots, and are justified towards the inner edge of the bezel.
    This is what I had in mind when I originally made the suggestion of swapping the lines to smaller dots, but I'll accept a designers override...

Could you clarify which version is being proposed in the vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodromedary View Post
    Could you clarify which version is being proposed in the vote?
    Nothing so specific. It's worth finding out if a general change is voted in first, and then - if it's deemed necessary - we can have a quick discussion regarding the weight and position of the dots. I understand your point though; I'm holding a clock from a ME109 in my hand right now that has the dots right on the inside edge of the bezel and it looks quite good, however, the bezel is tapered toward the dial and not flat like on our watch. Personally, I think this is something that would be best left to Triton to decide on while he is creating the rendering as I'm sure he puts all of the variations to the test on the fly before deciding on which looks best.
    asrar.merchant likes this.

Long Island, NY a.k.a. .....................Strong Island

I have two questions about Drawing #3

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone asking for a "thinner" white circle around the Date. If I'm wrong please correct me. But if I'm right why is that option there. I'm in the camp of NO white circle around the date. But now with three choices I feel that some votes that would have gone to to NO white circle might now go to the Thinner white circle. In turn causing the thicker white circle to win by dividing the camp that was previously in favor of NO white circle.

The other question I have is I was under the impression (by what was told to us by Simon) that we could NOT have any Recessed sub-dials do to the inherent features of the movement. I am very much in favor of them being Recessed but if we can't have it then why vote for it.
    I was also under the impression that an alternate option was in favor by several including myself, and that was since we could not have recessed sub-dials that we could conversely make the GMT sub-dial in relief. But I don't see that option available.

Thanks and looking forward to leaning the answers.
    Last edited by JSal; September 24th, 2015 at 08:46.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information