Baselworld 2015: Wrap up and Final thoughts
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Bhanu Chopra
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Baselworld 2015: Wrap up and Final thoughts

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Baselworld 2015: Wrap up and Final thoughts

This year Baselworld coverage was different largely due to absence of Ernie and Michael Weare, even though Michael played a big supporting role in the background. Nevertheless, VerticalScope, the new owners of Watchuseek, planned a small team and shipped us off to Basel for the coverage. I will be the first one to admit that I was bit apprehensive about meeting and spending the entire time in Basel with VerticalScope team, who are new to WUS.

But it was matter of a day or two, that the VerticalScope team transformation into WUS began. Derek's favorite watch was Ressence Type 3, Jordan's favorite was the Laco's Pilot, Tania's favorite was Italian brand Terra Cielo Mare, Joe and Chris who were relentlessly taking videos and pictures were blown away by Christiaan Van der Klaauw's dial work and complications. Soon the excitement and that passion began to show.

Name:  IMG_1673.JPG
Views: 1373
Size:  167.1 KB
    Joe, Bhanu, Jordan, Derek, Brad, and Chris in Corum's Haute Horology room.

Name:  ZES_2232.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  457.9 KB
    Mike S (right) and Bhanu (left) discussing Guinand re-opening with Mr. Matthias Kluh (middle).

And now I can confidently state that in Basel 2016, all of them will be bringing their watch case to share the same passion we guys and gals have shared on this site for several years.

Basel is always about watches, so what trend did I notice this year? The general trend was to send a clear message that watch brands are lowering their pricing. When we speak about watch pricing, it is not a normal conversation, hence, reasonable has a different meaning. I would describe the pricing as going from astronomical down to crazy, crazy down to my 10-years-salary, and a lot of brands introducing entry level models within reach. Independent watchmakers have always had my respect so I can understand how tough it is for them to compete with the mega brands yet keep the traditional watchmaking alive.

Name:  IMG_1296.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  110.5 KB
    Nomos Durowe 3001

Which watches left a big impression? Patek's Pilot Travel Time was shocking but oh so good. Patek, please make it in steel, but then I guess it wouldn't be a Patek. After seeing the Durowe 3001 movement and watches by Nomos, I still keep wondering how can they put out this stunning movement and watches at an affordable price? Tudor with the Pelagos and in-house movement yet keeping the price the same also was impressive. Under the category "How Watch Brands Got Their Groove Back", I would include Corum and Tag Heuer, for focusing on what their brand DNA is and focusing on their core collection. Anonimo is in the beginning phase of rediscovering its DNA.

Name:  IMG_1435.JPG
Views: 1274
Size:  227.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1493.JPG
Views: 1255
Size:  289.9 KB

Consistency always get a big tip of my hat. Brands which consistently knock it out of the ballpark include Glashutte Original, Grand Seiko, and H. Moser. Brands which I think will have bestsellers on their hand this year will be Oris with calibre 111 and Divers Sixty Five, and Maurice Lacroix with Pontos S Divers in sandblasted case and Tudor with Pelagos (divers trifecta).

Name:  IMG_1530.JPG
Views: 1238
Size:  207.1 KB
    Oris Divers Sixty Five

Name:  IMG_1392.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  259.1 KB
    Glashutte Original Senator Observer

Underrated independent brands which should receive more attention still are Pequignet and Dodane. I admire the heritage of Dodane and Calibre Royale movement of Piquignet.

Baselworld wouldn't be same without engaging with watchmakers, personalities, and meeting interesting people. Watchuseek team had engaging conversations about traditional watchmaking and design with Alain Silberstein, Peter Speake-Marin, Tim Goronefeld, Ludovic Ballouard, Marc Jenni, and Patrik Sjögren.

Name:  ZES_1809.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  122.8 KB
    Alain Silberstein and Manuel Emch

Name:  ZES_2374.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  325.7 KB
    Andre Stikkers, foremost authority on history of Glycine watches with his third published book

It was a pleasure to meet journalists and friends I admire like Elizabeth Doerr and Ian Skellern from Quill & Pad, Rober Jan-Broer from Fratellowatches, Roberta Nass from ATimelyPerspective, Francois-Xavier Overstake from PursitPro, and James Henderson from TempusFugit.

Name:  IMG_1116.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  172.6 KB
    Elizabeth Doerr, Quill & Pad

Some memorable brand personalities we really enjoyed speaking with included Carlos Rossillo from Bell & Ross, Hartmut Kraft from Maurice Lacroix, Manuel Emch of Romain Jerome, Nick English of Bremont, and Stepan Sarpaneva of Sarpaneva and S.U.F watches. We missed meeting young Helmut Sinn, who apparently drove himself at the age of 100.

Name:  IMG_1117.JPG
Views: 1236
Size:  170.8 KB
    Stepan Sarpaneva

Finally, the new tradition of Watchuseek get together started this year as a grass roots effort. I am confident next year it will be well planned and an event not to miss. This year I had pleasure to meet friends like Joe from AZ FineTime, Jerome Pineau from Clerc, and Mark Baran from Jack Ryan in Austin.

Name:  IMG_1518.JPG
Views: 1264
Size:  167.6 KB
    Wristshot with friends at WUS get together

Thanks all the moderators, admins, and VerticalScope team for your dedication this year. For next year, as Howard Jones says in the famous song - things can only get better.
    Last edited by Bhanu Chopra; March 28th, 2015 at 20:17.
    RoadWarrior, gward4 and CMSgt Bo like this.

Re: Baselworld 2015: Wrap up and Final thoughts

Thanks for the round-up.
    Just a point of clarification, don't you mean Peter Cunnah instead of Howard Jones – assuming you're referring to the D:Ream song?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Has been fun (as always). Same place next year.
    CMSgt Bo likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hotnerd View Post
    Which watches left a big impression? Patek's Pilot Travel Time was shocking but oh so good. Patek, please make it in steel, but then I guess it wouldn't be a Patek.
    Although I too was blown away by Patek's Pilot Travel Time (P3T2?) and would love to see it in steel, a quick comparison to the Aquanaut tells us that it'd likely be a $40K steel watch.

I had a great time at BaselWorld with Bhanu and the rest of the VerticalScope/WatchUSeek Team. We're already planning for BaselWorld 2016, so expect more fascinating reviews of great watches from old friends and new.

See you all there!

Brad B.

Thread Information