5 days ago WUS journalist Bhanu Chopra told us that the Swiss brand Angelus is re-birthing at Basleworld, and today I will post a preview of their first timepiece, the U10 Tourbillon Lumičre. It is not made for everybody's
Wallet however Angelus is expressly underlining what they are capable of.
Angelus is owned by Citizen, which also owns Arnold & Son and La Joux Perret. The latter being a movement manufacture, giving Angelus automatically access to a team with know-how and capability to manufacture very sophisticated movements. And a sophisticated movement we got here, no doubt about that.
The Angelus caliber A100 which powers the U10 Tourbillon Lumičre is hand-wound and has hours, minutes, central dead beat seconds (tics like a quartz watch), a 90-hour linear power reserve indication and a one-minute flying tourbillon. The movement bridges and plates are in nickel-silver that is bevelled and polished. It beats at 2.5Hz (18,000 vph) and has a screwed balance with a Breguet-overcoil.
The A100 movement is housed inside a very unique rectangular-shaped case with seven sapphire crystals. On the right, the tourbillon can be viewed from five sides in its own exhibition case, as it oscillates. On the left, is the crown and the timekeeping dial which is made of a translucent-grey sapphire crystal with a black outer ring and transferred markers.
The case measures 62.75 mm by 38 mm by 15 mm and is made of BO-988 annealed stainless steel, which has higher corrosion resistance than the 316L stainless steel.
Angelus spent four years creating this masterpiece whose name was inspired by light (lumičre in French). According to Angelus, “The clean, modernist displays pay tribute to Angelus’ acclaimed travel clocks as well as taking cues from iconic industrial designs and designers of the 1960s and ’70s.
The strap is hand-stitched in black alligator leather with a stainless steel folding buckle. Limited edition of 25 pieces.
All specs together:
U10 Tourbillon Lumičre Technical Specifications from Arnold & Son
- hand wound Cal. A100, one-minute flying tourbillon movement
- Jewels: 38
- Dimensions: 52.10 mm x 30.40 mm, height 7.50 mm
- Power reserve: 90 h, double barrel
- Slow beater: 2.5Hz / 18,000 vph
- Tourbillon: 16.25 mm cage diameter, Swiss lever escapement, screwed balance and Breguet hairspring
- Movement decoration: nickel-silver movement, rhodium treated with haute horlogerie finishing: satin-finished main plate with laser engraved pattern, satin-finished bridges with chamfered and polished edges, plate dial side with sunray satin-finish, circular satin-finished wheels, screws with beveled and mirror-polished heads, two laser-engraved and enamelled ratchets
- Tourbillon finishing: bead-blasted and satin-finished titanium tourbillon bridge, entire tourbillon cage with hand-chamfered and polished edges and either satin-finished or mirror-polished surfaces
- Color: translucent-grey coated concave sapphire and black outer ring
- Double white (C1) Super-LumiNova dots at 12 o’clock
- Single white (C1) Super-LumiNova dots at 3, 6 & 9 o’clock
- Hour, minute & power reserve hands: brushed-finished, rhodium-treated, with black Super-LumiNova that glows blue in the dark
- Dead beat seconds hand: white lacquered
- Material: BO-988 specific annealed stainless steel, bead-blasted and treated with black PVD on the inside
- Dimensions: 62.75 mm x 38 mm
- Thickness: 15 mm including sapphire crystals
- Sapphire crystals: 7 in total, treated with anti-reflective coating
- Back: see-though sapphire crystal
- Water-resistant: 30 m
Strap and buckle
- Strap: hand-stitched black alligator leather
- Buckle: stainless steel folding buckle