Pre-Basel 2015: Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 Chronograph
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pre-Basel 2015: Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 Chronograph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Pre-Basel 2015: Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 Chronograph

To create its new Carrera Calibre 18 Chronograph,TAG Heuer has drawn inspiration from a true icon:the first chronograph specially designed for racing drivers that Jack Heuer made in the 1960s.

It’s all there: the original Panda effect with two anthracite counters standing out against a silver-toned dial;robustness together with tried and trusted functionality, and even the historical Heuer logo.Topped by spherical sapphire crystal inspired by the original model, this vintage-touch automatic chronograph is also equipped with a telemetric scaleon its inner bezel ring. This function was formerly used by the military to measure their distance from artillery fire based on the speed of sound. Modern-day adventurers notably use it to see how far they are from a storm. The kind of adventurers who can perfectly identify with the Carrera collection, whose Spanish name means “top-level competition”.

Name:  rsz_hq_tagheuer_carreracalibre18_big.jpg
Views: 4153
Size:  1.85 MB

Movement Mechanical automatic TAG Heuer chronograph calibre 18

Functions Hours, minutes, seconds, date, chronograph, telemetric scale

Case Polished steel, 39 mm Spherical scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides; Scratch-resistant sapphire back; Water-resistant to 100 meters (10 bar /330 ft)

Dial Opaline silver snailed anthracite counters, minutes at 9 o’clock, small seconds at 3 o’clock; Original Heuer logo; Telemetric scale on the inner bezel ring; Luminescent hands

Bracelet/Strap Perforated black leather with folding clasp
    JohnF and -Devil- like this.

Re: Pre-Basel 2015: Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 Chronograph

Calibre 18. In other words a Sellita base movement (sw300) and the usual poor Dubois Depraz Chronograph module, for the "nice" price of aprox. 4700 Euros.
    Not a big deal for my tastes

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

What makes the DD 2223 a poor module if I may ask.
    JohnF and cuthbert like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love this look. I've handled the Tudor heritage chrono at the store and was unimpressed with the feel of the DD module. I wish there were watches that looked like this but with better movements.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    What makes the DD 2223 a poor module if I may ask.
    The poorness is in the modular architecture of a chronograph whatever is the module used. Dubois Depraz or Kelek makes no difference. You should examine in depth the topic of chronographs to learn the substantial difference, from every point of view (costs, merit, chronometry, beauty, difficulty, and so on), between an integrated and a modular one.

An architecture widespread in the 70's, an age of poor and cheap mechanics because of the crisis due to the spread out of the quartz watches, which appears unacceptable in this age of great receipts from watches priced several thousand dollars (like many Tag Heuer watches that share the same poor and cheap architecture and even more in some others watches from high end brands like Audemars Piguet for example).
    christian likes this.

That looks awesome and at 39mm should be good. Just hope the finishing on the watch itself is decent

Quote Originally Posted by ciaca View Post
    The poorness is in the modular architecture of a chronograph whatever is the module used. Dubois Depraz or Kelek makes no difference. You should examine in depth the topic of chronographs to learn the substantial difference, from every point of view (costs, merit, chronometry, beauty, difficulty, and so on), between an integrated and a modular one.

An architecture widespread in the 70's, an age of poor and cheap mechanics because of the crisis due to the spread out of the quartz watches, which appears unacceptable in this age of great receipts from watches priced several thousand dollars (like many Tag Heuer watches that share the same poor and cheap architecture and even more in some others watches from high end brands like Audemars Piguet for example).
    So what you're saying is that you're a snob?
    Rolex Submariner, Tag Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern MkII, Seiko Mini Turtle

At the risk of pouring water on an unwelcome flame war in this section, I happen to really like the retro look, size and would like to try the feel. In this era of more modern, dare I say less practical models from others, this will probably enjoy a market.

Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500 42mm; Seamaster Vintage cal 562; Ebel 1911 El Primero; Gycine SubCombat; Seiko Pogue yellow 6139-6002; Seiko Monster SRP; Jacques Lemans V7750; Vintage Jules Jurgensen automatic; Vintage Sicura Diver winder; Vintage Landeron Chronograph winder; Nomos/Stowa Homage ST25; Sangdo AT Homage day/date

Quote Originally Posted by WillMK5 View Post
    So what you're saying is that you're a snob?

What i said is wat i wrote; what you wrote, if at all, is what you improperly gathered
    The fact that a modular chronograph is a poor architecture and cheap chioce coming from a dark and troublesome age of the swiss watchmaking is the ABC in the knowledge of how these movements are made and work.
    This is a fact, not a debatable opinion, that every watchmaker will confirm.

Regards

People absolutely HATE it when you specifically identify intrinsic flaws in certain watches, quickly jumping to the designator "snob" as soon as their favorite (read: owned) watches are articulately dispatched so they don't have to actually defend them.

"Here are 7 reasons this watch movement is subpar" is often met with "BUT I LIKE IT YOU'RE MEAN WAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

Movement aside, let's see what the advertising itself says: "a true icon" "made in the 1960s" "original Panda effect" "tried and trusted" "historical" "inspired by the original" "vintage-touch" "formerly used by the military" "Original Heuer logo"

It's a TAG trying to rebrand itself as "classic" since being "avant guard" failed so hard they had to TAKE IT OUT OF THE NAME. Let that sink in.
    Last edited by stapleton33; March 13th, 2015 at 00:33.
    I've spent my money on women, whisky and watches. The rest I just wasted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information