Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Weare

Thread: Pre-Baselworld 2015: Super KonTiki Black Limited Edition

Watchuseek Editor

Pre-Baselworld 2015: Super KonTiki Black Limited Edition

Name:  Super KonTiki 1273.43.41.1365_PR_Original_8228.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  173.7 KB

First introduced in 1962, Eterna Super KonTiki, the first diver's watch with a rotating bezel, is being revived with several new models, including the Black edition, limited to 888 watches.

When Eterna developed its first KonTiki models back in 1958 to commemorate Thor Heyerdahl’s famous expedition across the Pacific, the watch line rapidly established itself as a benchmark for extreme sportiness, absolute reliability and precision. It has remained so to this day, almost five decades on.

Even the earliest KonTiki steel cases were water-resistant to 200 metres. In 1962, Eterna also developed the Super KonTiki for professional divers, the first diver's watch with a rotating bezel. Its large, highly legible Roman numerals supplied divers with the information they needed to time decompression stops correctly during ascents.

Name:  Super KonTiki 1273.41.40.1718_Original_8222.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  170.6 KB

Now Eterna pays tribute with the launch of new Super KonTiki models inspired by the 1960s’ and 1970s’ originals. The new watches feature the solid case with its contoured sides, as well as the characteristic rotating bezel with its chunky, knurled edges. The triangular indices, shaped like a compass needle, also characterize the first KonTiki watches. The reliable automatic movement is designed for modern adventurers and explorers.

Name:  Super KonTiki 1273.41.46.1364_Original_8224.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  152.5 KB

Eterna also presents the Super KonTiki Black Limited Edition. For this version, limited to just 888 watches, the case comes enveloped in jet-black.
    The orange-coloured, SuperLuminova-coated hands and luminescent dots adjacent to the hour indices stand out against the jet-black dial for excellent legibility whatever the lighting conditions.

Name:  Super KonTiki 1273.43.41.1365_Nato strap_Original_8226.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  108.6 KB

The Super KonTiki Black Limited Edition comes with a black milanese bracelet, and a black nato strap with a central orange stripe that exactly matches the colour of the hands, and a black leather strap. The watch will retail for CHF 2550.

Visit the Eterna website
    zephyrnoid likes this.

Re: Pre-Baselworld 2015: Super KonTiki Black Limited Edition

One thing that I noticed is that there is no stamping of "Swiss Made" on the dial, I think that could be that these are concept models? Another thing that bothers me is that the "Black Edition" has a production run of 888, it's quite odd that they chose that number, I wonder what it means? I find the orange accents to be good taste on the middle model with the NATO strap making it very attractive.
    Would you say I have a plethora of watches?

Re: Pre-Baselworld 2015: Super KonTiki Black Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by watchloco View Post
    One thing that I noticed is that there is no stamping of "Swiss Made" on the dial, I think that could be that these are concept models? Another thing that bothers me is that the "Black Edition" has a production run of 888, it's quite odd that they chose that number, I wonder what it means? I find the orange accents to be good taste on the middle model with the NATO strap making it very attractive.
    Well noticed the absence of "Swiss made". Is it because of being a concept watch, an initial design or will Eterna use more components from outside of Switzerland?
    The "888" is probably related to China. "8" represents prosperity in China and Eterna currently belongs to a Chinese investment group.

Best regards.

Thread Information