Adaptors - Springbar or not? - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Adaptors - Springbar or not?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Adaptors - Springbar or not?

How well do the leather Apple straps wear?

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    How well do the leather Apple straps wear?
    Heard different opinions. Some say that third party straps are more comfortable,
    but honestly it feels like the main reason people go for third party straps is price.
    ronalddheld and Prdrers like this.

They are very good but a bit pricey compared with third party ones. I have one from Clockwork Synergy and the quality is quite good, not accounting for the choice of buckle and the non-tapered design.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    They are very good but a bit pricey compared with third party ones. I have one from Clockwork Synergy and the quality is quite good, not accounting for the choice of buckle and the non-tapered design.
    I kind of like the non tapered design. A lot of straps are tapered (like normal watch straps) but I think i like the non tapered more 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Tomten View Post
    I kind of like the non tapered design. A lot of straps are tapered (like normal watch straps) but I think i like the non tapered more
    In my case, the main problem was not necessarily the tapered design but the buckle. Clockwork Synergy chose to use a too wide buckle, wider than the watch itself. To me this throws out the proportions when wearing the watch. I am looking to either change the buckle or file it down to a more aesthetic width.

When I first started with the AW2, I bought a bunch of straps as well as several adapters. I gave the buyer of my 2 a couple of straps, then when I sold my AW3 I gave that buyer most of the rest. My Aw4 came with the Velcro sport strap. Never changed it. Easy to adjust. Comfortable and when it gets grubby in the summer, wash with soap and water or throw it in the washing machine and you are good to go. I do have a nice Alligator from one of my conventional watches, but haven’t put it on the 4. There are some really nice leather straps out there, but price is a consideration. A quality leather strap will be north of A hundred dollars and exotics like Alligator, Ostrich, Croc etc. can run to 200-300 dollars!! I will say, a nice leather strap definitely dresses the watch up, but at a price.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional US Divers - Orthos 300 Commander - H2O Bronze Diver
    Others-- IWC Calatrava - Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Ulysses Nardin +/- GMT
    Apple Watch 5

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

10 years on mechanicals, new to AW, so here’s a dumb question: Why do third party bands use a spring bar or wire lug adapter? Why don’t they directly integrate the AW connector, like Apple’s own leather loop bands?

Last edited by JTK Awesome; 2 Days Ago at 18:17.

Adaptors - Springbar or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JTK Awesome View Post
    10 years on mechanicals, new to AW, so here’s a dumb question: Why do third party bands use a spring bar or wire lug adapter? Why don’t they directly integrate the AW connector, like Apple’s own leather loop bands?

Because...

1. It’s easier to use existing straps from other watches, and...

2. Apple’s own leather-and-buckle straps (now discontinued for the 42-44mm watch, it seems) used wire-style adapters. I think they made them available for third parties to purchase. They also published an official spec sheet for companies to make their own.

Quote Originally Posted by JTK Awesome View Post
    Some do, but as BarracksSi, holding to a conventional mount allows strap emigration elsewhere, and strap immigration too.

I am more curious about the other direction of your inquiry: given the rapid, low-motor-precision-required changes possible with the Apple strap mechanism, why do we not see Apple compatible straps invading the conventional market for quartz* watches? Without looking, I'd assume it's related to patents, so maybe someday?

* Mechanical watches, due to magnetic complications, I can see why not.
    - Stephen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information