Anyone have direct experience with Catalyst "waterproof" cases? (arriving today)

Thread: Anyone have direct experience with Catalyst "waterproof" cases? (arriving today)

Question Anyone have direct experience with Catalyst "waterproof" cases? (arriving today)

The single biggest lament I have with my life altering Apple watch is concerns about the interaction between electronic components and water. The last time I had a similar panic was when an idiotic seller shipped me a Rolex Oysterquartz with no back gasket installed (resulting in a frantic two hour drive to my watch monger to save the movement)

So, I came upon one of these on eBay and expect it in my mailbox today.

Since I'm already comfortable with a digital display, surrounding it with a plastic cover (which honestly makes the watch look more like a $60 Casio than a $500 work of craftsmanship) - I'm more than willing to lose the 'cool factor' in exchange for the peace of mind which comes from 50m of water resistance...or in my case? The ability to shower and pull a fish out of the stream without worry.

Catalyst has come up with a clever design which relies on a pressure seal between the inner silicon wrapping and a combination of pressure and static to make the outer edge seal against the touch screen - leaving the sapphire screen unencumbered. I have a tempered glass cover and expect that there is enough space on all four sides to fit the silicon seal - while still keeping my flawless screen protector in place. The result SHOULD be 100% case, screen and water protection.

Coolest part is that the case fits standard 24mm bracelets and straps so I can continue using what I already have.

Has anyone else used or tried one of these? I'll post a follow up once I have installed.

Exploded view

Model I'm getting - "Rescue Ranger" (which just means the button and wheel are red)

Wrist shot - doesn't seem to be too large (unlike the evil Lunatik)

Last edited by rscmaine; March 15th, 2016 at 17:57.
    Current - 1978 First Edition 17013 Rolex Oysterquartz, Tag Heuer WK1111 Chronograph, Apple "Dick Tracy" wrist radio

Former watches - Sinn 142, Rolex 1503, Rolex 17013 Oysterquartz, 16803 Transitional TT Rolex Submariner, Omega GMT, Yellow Superocean, Navitimer A23322, Breitling Colt Chrono auto, Omega Flightmaster cal 910, Breitling Chronomat 13050.1, Omega Speedo reduced, Breitling Colt II SQ, 2 Omega Speedmasters Mark II (racing dial),T Serial 16613 TT Black Sub, Z Serial 16610 Rolex Sub, 18KT Rolex President 18078, 2 Rolex TT Datejust 1601, 4 Rolex TT Datejust 16013, 2 Rolex TT Submariner 16613, 3 Omega Seamaster Chronos 2599.80, 2 Rolex TT GMT Master II E 16713, Breitling Steelfish, Doxa 5000T Seaconquerer, 5 Omega SMP Bonds, Omega Speedmaster Mark 40, 2 Omega Speedmaster Triple Dates, Heuer Carrera cal 12, Breitling TT Chronomat, Breitling Jupiter Pilot, Breitling Superocean, Breitling Colt II Auto, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Two Sea Dwellers, and a bunch of crap

Re: Anyone have direct experience with Catalyst "waterproof" cases? (arriving today)

To answer the post title: No.

To answer the question of whether I'm worried about my Watch and water: No.

Re: Anyone have direct experience with Catalyst "waterproof" cases? (arriving today)

Waste of money. I'd rather take any of my other watches if I want to swim or dive.
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Waste of money. I'd rather take any of my other watches if I want to swim or dive.
    That would be completely reasonable were I still physically able to wear a traditional watch. I'm the fellow who went over to Apple due to disability - so, since I expect to wear this or one of its descendants from now on? The additional water resistance and shock protection is not optional.
    Current - 1978 First Edition 17013 Rolex Oysterquartz, Tag Heuer WK1111 Chronograph, Apple "Dick Tracy" wrist radio

Former watches - Sinn 142, Rolex 1503, Rolex 17013 Oysterquartz, 16803 Transitional TT Rolex Submariner, Omega GMT, Yellow Superocean, Navitimer A23322, Breitling Colt Chrono auto, Omega Flightmaster cal 910, Breitling Chronomat 13050.1, Omega Speedo reduced, Breitling Colt II SQ, 2 Omega Speedmasters Mark II (racing dial),T Serial 16613 TT Black Sub, Z Serial 16610 Rolex Sub, 18KT Rolex President 18078, 2 Rolex TT Datejust 1601, 4 Rolex TT Datejust 16013, 2 Rolex TT Submariner 16613, 3 Omega Seamaster Chronos 2599.80, 2 Rolex TT GMT Master II E 16713, Breitling Steelfish, Doxa 5000T Seaconquerer, 5 Omega SMP Bonds, Omega Speedmaster Mark 40, 2 Omega Speedmaster Triple Dates, Heuer Carrera cal 12, Breitling TT Chronomat, Breitling Jupiter Pilot, Breitling Superocean, Breitling Colt II Auto, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Two Sea Dwellers, and a bunch of crap

Maybe the shock protection would be good. The water resistance doesn't matter too much to me as I said, since I regularly wash mine and have already had it submerged in a swimming pool. The problem I've had with water was when I try to use the screen while it's wet; capacitive screens normally get wacky when either the glass or finger is wet.

Quote Originally Posted by rscmaine View Post
    That would be completely reasonable were I still physically able to wear a traditional watch. I'm the fellow who went over to Apple due to disability - so, since I expect to wear this or one of its descendants from now on? The additional water resistance and shock protection is not optional.
    All right, since you've stated your condition, then it's more viable.
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

That is a very interesting watch case. Please share your review on this case, I have a lifeproof on my iPhone so having this on the watch would almost make me waterproof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection Previously Owned
    Rolex Submariner C Omega Planet Ocean XL
    Tag Heuer Carrera Breitling B1
    Breitling Aerospace Evo Breitling Aerospace 79362
    Omega SMP Bond Tudor Pelagos Blue

Thread Information