Apple engineer's confessions on the Apple Watch
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Apple engineer's confessions on the Apple Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pen Apple engineer's confessions on the Apple Watch

Let me preface this by saying I won't be talking about anything confidential about the Watch. These are my own feelings and observations.

That said, I was never a watch guy. I never had an appreciation for watches, period.

When the Watch was announced I was excited. I wanted one. I didn't know why exactly but I did. So I got one. The most expensive one outside of the Edition. I got the Space Black DLC version.

When it (finally) arrived I was over the moon. I couldn't stop wearing it and looking at it. There was something about the bracelet and clasp that was fascinating to me. It was extremely well designed.

I wore it on its DLC bracelet for a long while, proudly showing it to anyone that would listen.

Naturally I started buying more bands for it. Mainly exercise bands because I was using it more often as an exercise tracker.

Then, out of nowhere I got mollywhopped by the automatic watch bug. I don't know if the Apple Watch triggered something deep inside me but out of nowhere I had an addiction.

Next a Pelagos. Next a Submariner 114060. Now to full-on WIS.

While this was happening my Apple Watch sat unused, unless I was running. It felt 'dead' to me compared to a living, breathing mechanical. My $1200 Watch sat dormant. Rarely charged and given life.

This lasted for about 6 months. During this time I'd given up on 'computer watches.'

Until today. I dusted off the Space Black DLC band and clasp. I replaced the exercise strap with it, snapped the clasp shut and appreciated it for what it was. A unique and extremely well-engineered time piece.

For the first time I was appreciating it as a lover of watches, not as a lover of trendy technology. It started to make sense. I felt like I could justify its place in my watch box along with my Rolex and G-Shock.

It it felt like it belonged - for the first time.

Anyhoo, I hope I didn't misspell any words or butcher grammar too impressively.

It was was a story I felt compelled to share given my laying here appreciating my Apple Watch in a new way.

cheers!

Re: Apple engineer's confessions on the Apple Watch

Similar to you I was very interested in Smartwatches about a year and a half ago. I got a Moto360 and I wore it a lot for about 6months until the Huawei came around. I alternated this 2 for about 8 months.

Thanks to the work and countless designers of the 'WatchMaker' app, I learned a lot about other watches. And these 2 made me first try them on as virtual replicas, and then buy some watches that I really liked. But my 2 smart watches are having a hard time finding any wrist time now.

I do think they are very convenient; but they miss that essence of a time piece. But thanks to the smartwatches I have a deeper appreciation of a good time piece.

20160327_152243 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20160827_185739 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20151229_192127 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    Last edited by Wolfsatz; August 28th, 2016 at 07:48.
    DougFNJ, bajjer31 and pook187 like this.

I like and tried a bunch of different smart watches as well before settling on one and selling the rest.

I loved watches as a kid but grew out of them and only had a few Quartz pieces. One casual and one dress. Hardly wore them but Android wear smart watches got me back into watch collecting.

I hated the Apple Watch though. And putting smart watches in your watch box makes very little sense since the good ones come with charging docks that turn it into a desk clock. Just put it on there instead of the watch box. The Apple Watch disk charging thing is crappy though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pook187 View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I won't be talking about anything confidential about the Watch. These are my own feelings and observations.

That said, I was never a watch guy. I never had an appreciation for watches, period.

When the Watch was announced I was excited. I wanted one. I didn't know why exactly but I did. So I got one. The most expensive one outside of the Edition. I got the Space Black DLC version.

When it (finally) arrived I was over the moon. I couldn't stop wearing it and looking at it. There was something about the bracelet and clasp that was fascinating to me. It was extremely well designed.

I wore it on its DLC bracelet for a long while, proudly showing it to anyone that would listen.

Naturally I started buying more bands for it. Mainly exercise bands because I was using it more often as an exercise tracker.

Then, out of nowhere I got mollywhopped by the automatic watch bug. I don't know if the Apple Watch triggered something deep inside me but out of nowhere I had an addiction.

Next a Pelagos. Next a Submariner 114060. Now to full-on WIS.

While this was happening my Apple Watch sat unused, unless I was running. It felt 'dead' to me compared to a living, breathing mechanical. My $1200 Watch sat dormant. Rarely charged and given life.

This lasted for about 6 months. During this time I'd given up on 'computer watches.'

Until today. I dusted off the Space Black DLC band and clasp. I replaced the exercise strap with it, snapped the clasp shut and appreciated it for what it was. A unique and extremely well-engineered time piece.

For the first time I was appreciating it as a lover of watches, not as a lover of trendy technology. It started to make sense. I felt like I could justify its place in my watch box along with my Rolex and G-Shock.

It it felt like it belonged - for the first time.

Anyhoo, I hope I didn't misspell any words or butcher grammar too impressively.

It was was a story I felt compelled to share given my laying here appreciating my Apple Watch in a new way.

cheers!
    Interesting story.

So, wearing an Apple watch actually awakens your love toward watches. Then, instead of wearing a smartwatch, you wear more automatics (classic) dive watches...

Thank you for sharing and may you wear the watches in good health.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

I work in software and watched as most of my coworkers bought and proudly wore their Apple watches. I was hoping some of them would sell me their mechanicals and I dreamed of building a collection from the discarded watches of the new smart watch crowd. Sadly, 90% of them are over the phase and I rarely see the Apple watches in the offices. Two of them have sited stress issues caused by the Apple Watch keeping them too connected. Maybe the next version will loosen their trips on their mechanicals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. Not a big fan of smart watches. I have a Garmin I use when running. I try using it for Kettlebells but I need to be mindful not to smash it by accident. My wife wears hers almost all the time but she is out biking, swimming, running all the time. Big blue honking machine.

Issue are date nights-but then again she can get text messages without taking her phone out from the sitter.
    I just don't want to be that connected as I write this on a plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar story. Went from the Pebble to Motor 360 and now automatic watches with a Garmin Vivosmart on my other wrist so I still have the "smart" aspect. I've pre-ordered a Chronos disc that slides under your regular watch and gives you everything a smart watches does but with vibration and light. I drive a lot so taking out my phone is not an option.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

I had an lg urbane and loved it for what it was but decided to go down the route or mechanicals, sold.it and made a £20 loss. I may get another smart watch one day when they get more features. But $1200 for an apple watch, dayum.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
    oʞᴉǝS

Quote Originally Posted by pook187 View Post

Could you say it takes an understanding of nice watches to realize how well-done the AW is?

Gadget hounds say it's too expensive for a smartwatch when Android/Samsung watches cost so much less (some models are given away for free with new smartphones, fer cryin' out loud). WISes dismiss it entirely because it doesn't run on 18th Century technology.

But it's built like a nicely-done traditional watch. It even improves upon the most aggravating thing about regular watches: the ability to quickly, and securely, change straps (people don't know how much springbars actually suck until the first time they try removing them). It also has possibly the tightest smartwatch-to-smartphone software integration out there.

I think manufacturers of both traditional watches and smartwatches can learn a thing or two from Apple.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Could you say it takes an understanding of nice watches to realize how well-done the AW is?

Gadget hounds say it's too expensive for a smartwatch when Android/Samsung watches cost so much less (some models are given away for free with new smartphones, fer cryin' out loud). WISes dismiss it entirely because it doesn't run on 18th Century technology.

But it's built like a nicely-done traditional watch. It even improves upon the most aggravating thing about regular watches: the ability to quickly, and securely, change straps (people don't know how much springbars actually suck until the first time they try removing them). It also has possibly the tightest smartwatch-to-smartphone software integration out there.

I think manufacturers of both traditional watches and smartwatches can learn a thing or two from Apple.
    Fer Guzman, -hj- and ff25 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information