Apple Watch 3/4/5 with old iPhone?... impressions?

Thread: Apple Watch 3/4/5 with old iPhone?... impressions?

Apple Watch 3/4/5 with old iPhone?... impressions?

I am curious are any AW3/4/5 fans using it with an old iphone?

I have an old iPhone 5C that I use as a backup to my Android phones, and every once in a while I will pop in a SIM card and use it happily. Whenever I do, I am instantly reminded how great iMessage is, and how much I miss it when I use my android phone. I am a very very basic smart phone user... text, voice, and GPS are all I need a smart phone for. I never EVER use OK google or hey siri.... I find them annoying honestly. I DON'T WANT A NEW IPHONE (dont even bother suggesting it). I need something with a headphone jack, an easily replaced battery, and most importantly it needs to be small / front pocket size. No modern iPhone can do this.

Anyways, I am thinking about getting an AW4 or 5 to supplement the iphone 5C. Mainly so I can respond to text messages with the watch hand writing keyboard feature.

Is the iphone 5 series too old to work well with the latest apple watch?
    Anyone using an iphone 5 series with the AW? any general impressions you can offer?... thanks in advance
    Last edited by kramer5150; January 18th, 2020 at 21:30.

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Apple Watch 3/4/5 with old iPhone?... impressions?

You should check the minimum OS on a IPhone for AW 3,4, or 5. Then see what OSs are still supported on your 5C.

Odds are if you find an AW 3 or 4 now, it'll have already been updated to watchOS 6 -- and that means it'll use iOS 13 on the phone, which means you'd need an iPhone 6 or SE or newer.

With your 5C, which maxed out at iOS 10, you'll need to find an AW running... let's see... watchOS 3, and that'll need a Series 2 or older AW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_10#iPhone
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WatchOS#watchOS_3.x

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK great thanks!!
    Looks like I am out of luck then since the 5C is on iOS 10. I was really hoping I could use an AW4 or 5 with it. I was hoping to make it work in a minimalistic function just to receive/respond to imessage notifications.

Thanks again

HAQ and AW moderator

You cannot get a newer phone running IOS 13?

Find yourself an SE. it runs whatever processor and OS will run on a 6S, so you’ll have a few years, I think before it’s left in the dust like the 5/5S.
    Gods may note the fall of a sparrow, but they don't make any effort to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by henryj View Post
    Find yourself an SE. it runs whatever processor and OS will run on a 6S, so you’ll have a few years, I think before it’s left in the dust like the 5/5S.
    +1 to getting an SE, at least for a while. I had one until a couple months ago and it ran iOS 13 pretty much as well my 11 Pro does now. Its battery was running out of spunk, though, being over three years old.

Thread Information