Apple Watch LTE or 5G
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By km_
  • 1 Post By Palmettoman

Thread: Apple Watch LTE or 5G

HAQ and AW moderator

Apple Watch LTE or 5G

I have Series 3 with cellular. I am debating skipping series 4 assuming series 5 might have 5G capabilities. Any thoughts?

km_

Re: Apple Watch LTE or 5G

Series 4 hasn’t even been announced yet, and 5G hasn’t been rolled out in the US yet. I think you are jumping the gun a bit...
    BarracksSi likes this.

Skip at least one or two revisions. That way, your replacement purchase will feel like a huge upgrade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

HAQ and AW moderator

I am thinking about skipping this year, but am interested in opinions either way.

Apple Watch LTE or 5G

My opinion is that rumors are rumors, and facts are facts.

And the way Apple manages things, nothing is a given until itís formally announced, either on their website or on stage. I can count on one hand the number of noteworthy leaks that happened in the last fifteen years, and they were all accidental (iPod Nano, iPhone 4... and thatís about it).

Now, specifically about LTE vs 5G: Yup, like km_ said, I donít see 5G being worth adding until it gets rolled out nationwide.

What I donít know is whether itís more power efficient than LTE ó power management is, or should be, the primary concern for mobile gadgets. The watch is also limited in terms of which tasks itís good for. High-speed data is necessary for streaming video, but streaming video is a pretty poor experience on a tiny watch screen (and besides, youíd have to hold your arm in an awkward position).

5G could benefit Siri, though, letting the watch send and receive voice commands more quickly than before. But the amount of data being sent isnít a huge amount, especially if on-device machine learning makes it onto the watch just like how Apple has managed to put it on the newest iPhones.

So, if 5G ends up being more power-hungry, I donít think itíll be worth adding to the watch. Sure, itíll have to happen someday as LTE gradually disappears, but I doubt itíll be a priority to get added before the entire 5G environment is fully ready.
    Last edited by BarracksSi; March 2nd, 2018 at 17:10.

HAQ and AW moderator

Hmm maybe 5G is not really that useful unless you surf a lot or play games?

km_

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Hmm maybe 5G is not really that useful unless you surf a lot or play games?
    As BarracksSi mentioned, I think the biggest priority at this point is to extend battery life, not increase network speed. Because of the small screen, most of the watch apps will remain pretty low bandwidth. I suspect they will add a facetime camera at some point, but it will still be well within the capabilities of LTE (since it works fine on an iPhone)

I'm really impressed with the Apple watch, particularly when combined with Apple AirPods. I went for a bike ride the other day (without my phone) and an old friend called me. We talked for like 20 minutes while I was riding. Other than a little wind noise, the connection was perfect. By the end of the ride my battery had dropped about 20%. The watch was simultaneously monitoring my heart and measuring my activity. Not bad!

HAQ and AW moderator

Maybe just looking for another reason to get a ceramic case next?
    I would think 5G would take more power. For low data amounts, it would depend on the ratio of BT/cellular usage.

I've been very surprised with my LTE I got about 3 weeks ago now. I had a series 2 that didn't really win me over, but the ability to function without having to keep the phone with me makes all the difference. It's been hard to NOT wear it.
    ronalddheld likes this.

I'll second this. My fiancee got her first Apple watch over Christmas. She got an LTE model and has been absolutely hooked by the fact that she can track her runs, get texts when she is walking around the house, and generally is amazed and impressed by the ability LTE has given her to "untether" from her phone. She went from "I don't think I'll wear this" to "I never take it off" after wearing it for a week.

Thread Information