Apple Watch partnerships
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Palmettoman

Thread: Apple Watch partnerships

Apple Watch partnerships

Let me start this post off asking if anyone remembers the Microsoft Spot Watch? It was very innovative at the time, and Microsoft licensed the technology the way they licensed Windows. They provided the platform, and relied on manufacturers to market and sell the watches. Fossil was the first to market, Suunto released 2 versions, the best version may had been the Tissot. It was a smart idea, custom feeds to the watch which received the data wirelessly pushed throughout the day, some of these notifications came from Outlook. You couldn't respond, but it was handy to receive an alert of an upcoming calendar event, sports scores, news flashes, etc.

The watches were large sized for the time, you had to charge them daily, and it was monochrome design. They were pricey, and they were subscription based. You could change watch faces, and different brands offered faces exclusive to their brand. It failed because of terrible marketing, limited availability, and ridiculously limited information.

When Apple partnered with Hermes, I was feeling pretty excited about the future. I felt it would be such a great idea to see major brand's watch faces and interchangeable straps on the Apple Watch. I had envisioned A Monaco watch face with leather Tag Heuer strap. A Speedmaster chrono dial with oyster bracelet with polished inner links. Then Jean-Claud Bivar explained why the smartwatch would NEVER work in the same light as Steve Balmer laughing at the iPhone and Mike Lazaridis, co-ceo of Blackberry saying nobody would want to type on a screen.

Shortly after, Tag released an Android Smartwatch, and unfortunately it looks like that's the direction the higher end brands went. Android smartly followed Microsoft's lead and although Apple Watch sales are obviously not hurting, no other brand partnerships were added. If I want a Seamaster Watch face, I grab my Seamaster and wear it.

I'm half holding out hope that the Hermes partnership is similar to the initial Apple partnership with AT&T, that it was limited for so long, and then Apple was able to add carriers.

Who would you like to see Apple Partner with? What faces and straps would you like to see available in the future if it were to ever happen?

My hope at this point would be Omega.

Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GBD-H1000-1CR G-Squad
    Casio G-Shock GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio G-Shock GW-B5600BC-1BJF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Casio Pro-Trek PRW-6600Y-2CR
    Casio Pro-Trek PRT-B50-1CR
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 Black Dial

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701
    TAG Heuer Autavia Re-Issue CY2111
    TAG Heuer Connected 2020 Gen3

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Re: Apple Watch partnerships

Hmm.

Well, Hermès is known for leather accessories, so it makes sense that they make straps for the AW and have a couple special faces added. And Nike gets their own version of the Sport band plus a couple special faces with direct access to the Nike Run app.

Others? Who else is known for something besides strictly watches?

Tiffany, maybe? They could do an East-West with the face turned sideways 90 degrees and add a Tiffany blue strap.

I thought of Coach, but they already make their own AW straps, and their watches are pretty bluh.

There’s Cartier, but I don’t know what sort of strap they’d want to use (at a certain point, leather is just leather) and not being able to show their famed guilloche would be lame.

Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I'm half holding out hope that the Hermes partnership is similar to the initial Apple partnership with AT&T, that it was limited for so long, and then Apple was able to add carriers.
    I'm not so sure that this would be equivalent. Apple needed a carrier who'd let them make whatever phone they wanted without carrier interference (basically asking a carrier to be a "dumb pipe" for data), and Cingular -- which hadn't yet been bought by AT&T -- was the only carrier desperate enough to sign on board.

It wasn't a licensing/branding/publicity thing. It was just a way for Apple to get onto the infrastructure that had the best reach. Besides, nobody likes cellular carriers, not in the way that they like Hermes or Nike.

(and it laid the groundwork for avoiding Microsoft's biggest problem with Spot, IMO -- the custom infrastructure Spot required wasn't being used for anything else, so no other companies felt the need to support it)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I played around with dials that emulated other manufs on my Garmin Fenix when I had it. They all looked...weird and I quickly got rid of them. I'm not too interested in seeing this on my Apple Watch. There's enough variety out there whether one prefers looking at an analog or digital format.

As far as straps go, I'm pretty pleased with Apple's offerings. Efficient and innovative.
    BarracksSi likes this.

HAQ and AW moderator

I can live with Apple's selection of straps.

Thread Information